Name someone that doesn't get the recognition they deserve.

7 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Several years ago, a friend said, "John Paul Jones is the most talented member of Led Zeppelin." I'd have put him at third, after Page and Bonham, but then I started listening more carefully to his parts and I realized that as great a guitarist as Jimmy Page is (and he is), it's Jones and Bonham who really drove the music. Much like John Entwistle, Chris Squire, and Geddy Lee, JPJ played the bass like a lead instrument.

You left out two Jacks!

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It can be an athlete, singer, actor, politician (be careful here), writer etc....

For me, it's Kirby Puckett.  He was great and I consider him a top 3 right handed hitter of all time. 

• 10 x All Star
  • ALCS MVP
  • 6 Gold Gloves
  • 6 Silver Slugger Awards

His career ended early because of glaucoma so he only played 12 years.  He was hitting .344 in spring training in 1996 and woke up one morning blind in his right eye.

The man had a lifetime batting average of .318 and take a look at this stretch....one of the greatest in MLB history.  Batting averages from 1986-1989

He hit 207 homeruns and had 1085 RBI's in 12 years.  Just imagine what his numbers would have been if he got to play like 5-7 more years.

He hit .317 and .314 in his last two seasons and 43 homers. If it wasn't for glaucoma, I think he would have retired as a top 25 player of all time.

Most baseball fans know who he was but his name never comes up (outside of Minnesota) as one of the greatest.

I mean, he's great.  He's HOF worthy.  He is not a top 3 right handed hitter of all-time though.  Come on now.

Arod, Manny, Pujols, Cabrera are all better hitters and that's just from the last couple decades.  Then you got Mays, Aaron, Foxx, and plenty of other old timers that would be ahead of him.  I'd even put Henderson above him, but he may have a harder argument over just hitting, but offensively as a whole I definitely would with the OBP, Runs, and SBs.

18 minutes ago, T&C said:

The guy who invented that 1" square "bread tie"... that thing sucks. 

Only real use for it would be a banjo pick down in the swamps of Alabama.

In true TBD tradition, I think you've managed to interpret the theme of this thread completely backwards.

:lol:

26 minutes ago, T&C said:

The guy who invented that 1" square "bread tie"... that thing sucks. 

Only real use for it would be a banjo pick down in the swamps of Alabama.

I dont think he ever got any recognition, otherwise you wouldn't be calling him "that guy".

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Vera Rubin.  Astronomer who discovered dark matter.  Never got the Nobel Prize she deserved.

A related twist on that theme:  What did James Watson and Francis Crick discover?

Rosalind Franklin's notebook.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

A related twist on that theme:  What did James Watson and Francis Crick discover?

Rosalind Franklin's notebook.

And what did Lee and Yang win their Nobel Prize for?  Madame Wu's experiment (and a truly extraordinary one at that - she proved the universe is left-handed.)

I had the pleasure of meeting Rubin in college, though - she was friends with my advisor.  So it's a little more personal for me.  And she's also why I tilt at so many scientific windmills (e.g. global warming.)  Rubin - and Wu (and Lee and Yang, honestly) - didn't blindly accept "but there's consensus" as a scientific principle, but made an effort to experimentally verify consensus...and in doing so, overturned it and made extraordinary discoveries.

John Cazale.  He was in six movies in his life.  Five of them were from 1972-1976.  Four of those were: Deer Hunter, Dog Day Afternoon, and Godfather I and II.  

And Godfather II isn't nearly as great without his performance as Chris Cuo - er, Fredo Corleone. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1