Name someone that doesn't get the recognition they deserve.

It can be an athlete, singer, actor, politician (be careful here), writer etc....

For me, it's Kirby Puckett.  He was great and I consider him a top 3 right handed hitter of all time. 

• 10 x All Star
  • ALCS MVP
  • 6 Gold Gloves
  • 6 Silver Slugger Awards

His career ended early because of glaucoma so he only played 12 years.  He was hitting .344 in spring training in 1996 and woke up one morning blind in his right eye.

The man had a lifetime batting average of .318 and take a look at this stretch....one of the greatest in MLB history.  Batting averages from 1986-1989

He hit 207 homeruns and had 1085 RBI's in 12 years.  Just imagine what his numbers would have been if he got to play like 5-7 more years.

He hit .317 and .314 in his last two seasons and 43 homers. If it wasn't for glaucoma, I think he would have retired as a top 25 player of all time.

Most baseball fans know who he was but his name never comes up (outside of Minnesota) as one of the greatest.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It can be an athlete, singer, actor, politician (be careful here), writer etc....

For me, it's Kirby Puckett.  He was great and I consider him a top 3 right handed hitter of all time. 

• 10 x All Star
  • ALCS MVP
  • 6 Gold Gloves
  • 6 Silver Slugger Awards

His career ended early because of glaucoma so he only played 12 years.  He was hitting .344 in spring training in 1996 and woke up one morning blind in his right eye.

The man had a lifetime batting average of .318 and take a look at this stretch....one of the greatest in MLB history.  Batting averages from 1986-1989

He hit 207 homeruns and had 1085 RBI's in 12 years.  Just imagine what his numbers would have been if he got to play like 5-7 more years.

He hit .317 and .314 in his last two seasons and 43 homers. If it wasn't for glaucoma, I think he would have retired as a top 25 player of all time.

Most baseball fans know who he was but his name never comes up (outside of Minnesota) as one of the greatest.

Kirby was a first ballot Hall of Famer.  I think his name always comes up in the "best hitters of all-time," conversation.  It certainly should be.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Kirby was a first ballot Hall of Famer.  I think his name always comes up in the "best hitters of all-time," conversation.  It certainly should be.

There’s a restaurant in Nashville called Puckett’s. I kept calling it Kirby’s, always getting funny looks.

And I don’t even like baseball! (Yah,  I said it!) 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Kirby took a sharp turn down a--hole road after he retired.

He absolutely let himself go too.  He gained a ton of weight.

I used to live in Minnesota and Dave Winfield was a guest on the local radio show.  He said they went ice fishing one morning.

Kirby pulled out a McDonald's bag and for breakfast....he ate 12 double cheeseburgers.  This was his breakfast to get his day started.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

24 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He absolutely let himself go too.  He gained a ton of weight.

I used to live in Minnesota and Dave Winfield was a guest on the local radio show.  He said they went ice fishing one morning.

Kirby pulled out a McDonald's bag and for breakfast....he ate 12 double cheeseburgers.  This was his breakfast to get his day started.

Twins and Jays feasted on owners colluding not to sign free agents for their title runs.

5 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Robert Hunter, songwriter for the Grateful Dead. As talented as the band was, it would have not been the same without his wonderful, original, opaque lyrics.

Good call. Along the same line I'd add Peter Sinfield. When you hear King Crimson mentioned you never hear his name but he wrote a ***** ton of their lyrics back when.

• Like (+1) 1

Several years ago, a friend said, "John Paul Jones is the most talented member of Led Zeppelin." I'd have put him at third, after Page and Bonham, but then I started listening more carefully to his parts and I realized that as great a guitarist as Jimmy Page is (and he is), it's Jones and Bonham who really drove the music. Much like John Entwistle, Chris Squire, and Geddy Lee, JPJ played the bass like a lead instrument.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1