Bills signed OL Erik Magnuson and placed OL Garrett McGhin on IR.

31 minutes ago, CSBill said:

A quote from the Bills press release: "Magnuson started at both tackle spots, but has also played guard and center." . . . I think I see a common theme here.

So many of these guys can play Center if needed.  Really wise thing for Beane to be doing.

I'm sure they are at the point where 1 or 2 of the PS guys earmarked for the OL will also be able to snap the ball.............just in case!

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Should the Bills get an offensive line specific trainer? The injuries across the line Have really been up this year. Of course I jest, but it’s a bit alarming.

A lot of the new FA's on our OL came to us on the mend.

51 minutes ago, MR8 said:

Theres a reason he doesn't have a job anymore... 

Despite having a few starts with the 49ers, he was not a core player for them.  His injury was going to keep him out of training camp for a couple more weeks, so it made sense for the 49ers to cut him and add a healthy body.  That's really the same reason the Bills IRed McGhin.  He's not a core player and probably won't make the 53 man roster, so they wanted a healthy body to use in their practice sessions between now and the end of August.  I think they believe at this point McGhin has enough upside to make it worth keeping him on IR and bringing him back next offseason, though that kind of stuff is always subject to change.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

Is it just my imagination, or are they wheeling and dealing more this year than they have in a while?

I want to believe that this team is very close to being a playoff team, and these tweaks are the best approach to getting the last few pieces in place.

just bottom of roster..they need guys who can suit up and play

41 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Despite having a few starts with the 49ers, he was not a core player for them.  His injury was going to keep him out of training camp for a couple more weeks, so it made sense for the 49ers to cut him and add a healthy body.  That's really the same reason the Bills IRed McGhin.  He's not a core player and probably won't make the 53 man roster, so they wanted a healthy body to use in their practice sessions between now and the end of August.  I think they believe at this point McGhin has enough upside to make it worth keeping him on IR and bringing him back next offseason, though that kind of stuff is always subject to change.

I think you misunderstood me man, "Saint Doug" threw out a quote from Doug Whaley where he said why "People shouldn't play football." and my reply was mean to say that stupid comments like that are part of why Whaley doesn't have a job anymore.  I didn't mean anything about Magnuson.  

I don't mind any signing for depth at this point in the game, especially on the line. 

2 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Are we looking for Offensive Linemen, or guys to toss the caber?

Got to love how creative Dabol is with his new schemes....that should give Allen a lot more time to throw.

Caber-main_tcm25-329307.jpg

(IDK about those new unis, though.   That must be a marketing department thing)

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

So many of these guys can play Center if needed.  Really wise thing for Beane to be doing.

I'm sure they are at the point where 1 or 2 of the PS guys earmarked for the OL will also be able to snap the ball.............just in case!

I'd like to see a long snapper who can play center in a pinch.

30 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I've wondered that myself.  One thing I have noticed is a lot of the long snappers are a lot smaller than the average Center.

Long snapping is a skill, one you need to practice with holder and kicker so takes time out of other practices.

Just like there are QB schools there are LS trainers, schools, camps. 

Long snappers also need to cover kicks and not many centers want to run down half length of field.

Kickers are also superstitious and creatures of habit and do not want to have their snapper injured on OL. 

The NFLPA pushed less practice time in last collective bargaining agreement and we have seen how this has resulted in impaired development of players.

It has been more than a decade since extinction of the multi-position LS went.

I think it is flexibility issue but a center with good flexibility, especially a backup, should be able to learn skill and be able to show extra value especially if they were on practice squad.  He would be better protection for kicker than some of the LB or TE size players snapping now.