Allen vs Murray

JD333

18 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The biggest thing the NFL people have over anyone writing about the draft is that they've actually interviewed the guy in depth.  I would say just about every top 10  QB  spent significant time with team management before the draft.  We know the Bills were on the phone with Allen for a long time the day of the draft talking about his teen nonsense.  

These writers, especially ones like the author here who looks like he lives in his parents' basement, have never spoken with any of these guys except maybe to ask for an autograph or selfie.  They know nothing about the minds of these guys.  

At best, the average fan is just "piggybacking" off the information they obtain from media sources.

They need to watch ESPN or read CBS Draft Scout before even knowing WHO the top prospects are.

The professional scouts are literally starting from scratch.  They spend all year long researching hundreds of college players, from all over the country.

Don't get me wrong.  There is nothing wrong with regular guys with watching YouTube game film on players.  And I think it's very possible for non-professionals to develop well-researched opinions on various prospects.  It's actually one of my favorite things to do in the offseason.  But it's also important to keep in mind when you are scrutinizing Josh Allen's film and bashing the bills for drafting him -- a QB from Wyoming wouldn't have even been a blip on your radar if not for the professional scouts.  

Personally, I wanted the Bills to draft Josh Rosen instead.  But I'll willingly admit to being wrong.

• Like (+1) 2