Allen vs Murray

JD333

Lots of caps in that title, the time to let this thread die is now.

Go Bills!!!

Allen, Rosen, Darmold, Murry, are all really unproven....not having established their level of play.  I am thinking, however, these authors are going to eat their words, either this year or next.  imho, Allen won't be bottom when the season is over.  Maybe middle of the pack.....but not bottom.

10 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Just when you have given up hope that there are stupid writers to entertain and baffle us, something like this comes along .....

You actually gave up hope of running across stupid writers for entertainment?  There are some things we will never run out of.  That's one of them.

• Like (+1) 1

It was funny watching the national media in general fawn over Murray. Starting around mid off season when the rumors of him going number 1 to Arizona were swirling. Every NFL “analyst” was in full “ I have to find something to love on him” mode. Around there he started being labeled as this can’t miss number one overall generational prospect at QB. Never mind the fact that he will be getting hit by offensive linemen literally double his weight, or the fact that he’s a midget but NFL QB standards. 

7 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Allen, Rosen, Darmold, Murry, are all really unproven....not having established their level of play.  I am thinking, however, these authors are going to eat their words, either this year or next.  imho, Allen won't be bottom when the season is over.  Maybe middle of the pack.....but not bottom.

Murray is 100% unproven. The other 4 at least have game tape against NFL talent. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chris from Rochester said:

I saw another "article" yesterday saying Josh Allen is ranked 32nd out of all the qbs this year. I wonder sometimes if people are still upset at him for his controversial tweets he mad when he was like 15 or whatever and desperately want him to fail.  It's obnoxious all the hate he gets

That was PFF I believe.

1 hour ago, Ralonzo said:

That one was a peach as well. The logic was something like, Allen had better passing numbers than Rosen but we rank Rosen higher because his OL sucked. Also, Allen scrambled better than Jackson but we rank Jackson higher because he gained more yards on designed QB runs. ?

I think it's likely PFF not basing it exclusively on their rookie seasons but including their draft scouting reports as well. PFF didn't think Allen was a good prospect coming out of college and then he mostly struggled as a rookie. I don't think PFF loved Rosen or Lamar coming out of college, but they definitely liked them a lot more than Allen so I think the logic is basically "good prospect, bad year" > "bad prospect, bad year". Hence why Kyler is above Allen despite never playing an NFL snap before; they think he's a great prospect.

"Murray was in a tough spot to succeed all night. His average starting position was his own 17-yard line, and he faced 3rd-and-11 or worse five different times. "

Do you know how you get into a 3rd and 11 situation?... do you? cause it seems like maybe you don't.

What a schmuck. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just to recap, Allen was preached at all season last year by the punditry to improve short/medium passing game, up completion % and “take what the defense gives” more than bombs away. Allen does exactly this since last year ended, including every preseason game thus far, and this “author” decides that is “proof” he’s a poser. Carry on.

Also, I feel obliged to post the best use of “air quotes” in a monologue of all time, given my liberal use of them in this post...

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/weekend-update-segment---chris-farley-as-bennett-brauer/n26999

• Like (+1) 3

I’m to the point now where I believe JA is in control of his own destiny regardless of people think or write about him...JA is just one of those players that is easy to pick on because of his pre existing stats...but I have a feeling he will have the last laugh.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

"Murray was in a tough spot to succeed all night. His average starting position was his own 17-yard line, and he faced 3rd-and-11 or worse five different times. "

Do you know how you get into a 3rd and 11 situation?... do you? cause it seems like maybe you don't.

What a schmuck. 

right? the bills are developing allen. working on different things and bringing him along. it's so important with young qbs.  

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I never stopped to think how bad Tom Brady really is. He may actually be the worst QB of all time.

Yeah - that Brady guy is always taking the snap and making the quick short pass to a guy like Edelman - anybody can do that. Dude is nothing more than a dime a dozen hack.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, dakrider said:

If I remember correctly one of the knocks on Allen last year was holding the ball to long, so getting rid of the ball quickly is a major plus.  Getting into the rhythm or habit of making the quick pass is significant.  

100% correct.

Sure, Allen throws to his primary target a number of times, but the author totally ignores that this is part of being a good QB, finding the best pre-snap matchup. On the seam throw to Sweeny, he makes a check (Which the author doesn't mention) and throws a perfect pass with anticipation. On the corner route to Sweeny, he makes a great throw with a muddy pocket. 

Allen definitely doesn't run at the first sight of pressure or his first read not being open. 

Pretty much a trash article.

Edited by elroy16
  • Like (+1) 1

Josh Allen must have been spotted wearing a MAGA hat, it's usually the only way to garner so much hate without any facts.  

I'm a skeptic on Allen, genuinely, it's in my nature to look for the truth, not the fantasy.  He played reasonably well in the second half last year and honestly, he should have been treated like Maholmes and we would have never seen him on the field until the last game or two.  The Bills were piss poor in managing the QB situation last year.  They gave whoever they ran out there virtually zero talent to throw to, evident by the fact Zay Jones was your number one WR and fans are asking if he should be cut/traded befire this season.  The entire line MINUS ONE player was replaced.  The top 2 WRs replaced, top 3 TEs replaced, and don't forget he didn't have a run game, he lead the team in rushing, come on man, if that isn't evidence the kid was given the bone, you're blind.

On to performance, he was pretty mediocre, but he did enough to win some games in the NFL, with garbage talent around him.  Did he go into the offseason with a lot to work on? Yep.  Realistically, of the other rookies, only Mayfield out played him, and Mayfield had a really great season, good for him. 

To rank guys who have taken zero NFL snaps ahead of him is to say that every rookie QB is a success.  To have Rosen ahead of him is to say, a guy who was so bad, after being taken 10th overall and leading your team to the worst record in the NFL, he was dumped for a low second round pick and we'll find excuses as to why Fitzpatrick won't let him on the field over acknowledging Allen has shown more.  To say Jackson is better is basicallt to say you like the story better.. I'm leaving that one right there.  To put Murry over him after 2 preseason games, where he was wildly inconsistent is to say you expect more out of Murry, based off his colege film, there's nothing else to go on.   

End of the day, it's all speculative, subjective, bull####. I'm saying it again, I don't have a lot of faith in taking the backyard mentaility out of Allen and having him become an accurate pocket passer and I hope I'm dead wrong.  I do suspect, if he stays healthy, he will be in the Probowl conversation this year, he's going to be exciting and sometimes, down right infuriating, but he'll put this team on his back in enough games to make people pay attention.  He's an absolute monster out there.  His biggest hurdle is to show he can be consistent enough with ball placement and decision making to not cost you a lot of games, while still being able to sling it enough to win the ones most guys can't .   My biggest fear with him is he turns out to be a hybrid of Farve and Fitz, ballsy enough to make any throw and smart enough to know how to shred you when it isn't tight quarters, but not quite good enough with ball placement when they MAKE you beat them.  The guy that can wow you for spirts and not be able to throw his way out of a wet paper bag for others.. Thats the roller coaster he has to avoid.

• Like (+1) 3

This guy knew that if he wrote a terrible article pooping on Allen that all of Billsmafia would give him clicks. The comparison is so random and it was obvious this he just looked at the box scores and probably not too well since he thought Allen was supported by a strong run game. Basically, he’s a joke of a writer and fake news.

Edited by Bangarang

1 hour ago, stosh64 said:

I don't get the agenda being pushed for Murray.:blink:

Bucky Brooks labels Murray a "Generational Talent" before he even plays a down in the regular season.  WTF?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001041986/article/nfls-generational-talents-under-25-kyler-murray-belongs-in-club

I just don't see it with Murray yet.

Consider the source with the OP.

1_gglMWqDX6CL12bIVORJEIw.png.21fd7ccdf84e632c91a4b1ec4d691a74.png

BWAHAHAHAHA

Check out the Twitter responses to this tools opinion "article".

There's a difference between "generational talent" and "generational player". One is proven, the other has the skills to potentially be special. That said, Murray is neither if those, and I would argue that Josh Allen is more of a generational talent than Murray, based on his arm and ability to run. Murray may be a good QB one day, but there is nothing to hang your hat on at this point to say definitively that he will be. The same can be said for Josh TBH (to a lesser extent), but he's certainly checking off boxes.  

Kyler may be a more accurate passer than Allen, but the article posted is nothing more than shock-value click bating at it's finest. It's an easy way for upstart sites to generate revenue via traffic volume creating more advertising money. Nothing creates more traffic than controversy, and for non-reputable sites, it's a proven tactic. One member in this thread mentioned that they just had to click, just to post a comment on their site. That's a win for the site, not for the member that posted the comment. I'll get more satifaction out of ignoring the site completely, as opposed to supporting their money driven agenda by telling them how stupid they are.