Predict the Season

GunnerBill

We will beat the patriots once this year and I don’t know why everyone is marking up Cleveland and Pittsburgh as a lose? Cleveland will underachieve too many egos. Pittsburgh although will be a very tough game we will grind out the win with our O-line getting containment as we run it all game, this is where McDermott and co surprise us with a clock control game.

8 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Beside the Cheifs offense being very good, the AFC is wide open.  If Allen develops into a top 15 Qb Buffalo could win the division.  The Steelers will be solid but less explosive.  NE is NE but without anyone outside that is a tough matchup.  Without Gronk that offense is manageable.  McDermott has a pretty good record of giving them fits.  If the Bill's reach their potential they are contenders.  

Josh Gordon has been conditionally reinstated and practiced with the team yesterday and today.  He won't play on Thursday, but if he can stay on the straight and narrow -- he got through 12 games last year -- Brady has his outside threat.   Also, Demarous Thomas has been activated.  If he comes back close to his pre-injury form, then Brady will have two studs on the outside.

The Bills still have lots of questions despite how well they looked in the 2nd preseason game:

1. How much has the OL improved, especially if Morse is unavailable or misses significant time?
  2. Can the Bills field a decent running game?
  3. Are the WRs and TEs good enough to be effective in the regular season?
  4. Can Allen play as well in the speed and pressure of the regular season as he has in preseason?  If the OL, running game, and/or receivers don't improve as expected, Allen is going to struggle even if his own skill set improves.
  5. Can the Bills defense do better stopping the run ?
  6. Can the Bills defense be tougher in the Red Zone?
Edited by SoTier

6 hours ago, Figster said:

Question, do you think the Pats are loaded with elite talent?

If you don't mind my asking.

McCourty, Gilmore and Mason. 

They are the guys on the present Patriots roster other than Brady that I would argue are elite or close to elite. Normally you find Superbowl teams have around 5 or 6 elite or close to elite players and that usually includes the Quarterback. 

At the moment for my money the Bills have one guy in that very top category - Tre White. I think Jerry Hughes and Micah Hyde are close but are just a level down from that. I agree with the assessment we still need some more of our young guys to develop into that top end, near elite, talent. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

Josh Gordon has been conditionally reinstated and practiced with the team yesterday and today.  He won't play on Thursday, but if he can stay on the straight and narrow -- he got through 12 games last year -- Brady has his outside threat.   Also, Demarous Thomas has been activated.  If he comes back close to his pre-injury form, then Brady will have two studs on the outside.

The Bills still have lots of questions despite how well they looked in the 2nd preseason game:

1. How much has the OL improved, especially if Morse is unavailable or misses significant time?
  2. Can the Bills field a decent running game?
  3. Are the WRs and TEs good enough to be effective in the regular season?
  4. Can Allen play as well in the speed and pressure of the regular season as he has in preseason?  If the OL, running game, and/or receivers don't improve as expected, Allen is going to struggle even if his own skill set improves.
  5. Can the Bills defense do better stopping the run ?
  6. Can the Bills defense be tougher in the Red Zone?

There is 0% chance Gordan can make it through a season.  Thomas was a shell of himself in Houston before the injury. 

My opinion of the team has little to do with preseason performances.  Allen finished at just under .500, quarterbacking for a team with 0 run game, a putrid Oline, and a recieving corp that featured 2 street FAs picked up mid season.  

The talent on the Oline has improved.  Allen has better weapons around him.  The defense is returning 10 starters on their base and nickel defenses which a year ago was a top 10 unit.  

Basically, every team atop the AFC has regressed. This year is wide open.  

I like 11-5. Split with the Pats for a loss, split with the NFC east which makes 3, and split with the AFC north which brings it to five. We don’t lose to the Jets, Phish, Titans or Broncos. We don’t play on grass on the West Coast which always is a hang up so...... This team could make some real noise this year. The Cleveland game, dare I say it, could decide who is on the road Wild Card Weekend. Get your popcorn 

Good work- I see us beating Cinci week 3, home opener but still come up with 10-6, possibly 11-5. Steelers don’t scare me either.

9 hours ago, MJS said:

The Patriots are generally the exception rather than the rule. But they do have some elite players. Brady and Gilmore. Obviously Gronk was elite before retiring. I'm not sure if Hightower is considered elite, but he is a really good linebacker. Chung and McCourty are really good safeties.

I think they will be worse this year because they lost an elite player in Gronk.

If one of your elite players is the QB that helps a lot.

That RB Michel aint to shabby either

I look at the quarterbacks and see

Eight wins - Mariota, Dalton, Keenum/Haskins, Eli, Jackson, Flacco, and Rosen/Fitz twice.

Six losses - Wentz, Roethlisberger, Mayfield, Prescott, and Brady twice.

Then we split the games with the Jets like last year and finish 9-7 to make a WC game.  We then beat the Browns in Cleveland and lose at New England in the Divisional round after a bullcrap call costs us the game.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Still thinking 8-8 or so.

Just don't trust the offense to put up the numbers they need to in order for the team to be successful. 

@Jets- L - This might be right as they might be walking into a buzz saw D line. Along with facing a QB who has been very accurate so far. 

@Giants- W- L -Not certain about this one as Barkley is way better than Bell and this could be another tough road loss. 

Bengals- W- Yep

Patriots- L- Yep 1-3

@Titans- W- Yep

Dolphins- W-Yep 3-3

Eagles- L- Yep 

Redskins- W- Yep

@Browns- L-Yep 

@Dolphins- W-Yep 5-5

Broncos- W- Yep

@Cowboys- L- Yep 6-6

Ravens- L- W-I think the Bills win this one at home with the better defense and run game. 

@Steelers- L- W- Stillers feeling the loss of Brown/Bell along with Big Ben looking at retirement as he fades down the stretch.

@Patriots- L - W- ditto for the Patriots as Tom Brady fades down the stretch and the run game fails them this time.

Jets- W- Yep 10-6! 

Just my opinion as I think the Bills go on a tear after that Turkey day nationwide viewing loss to the Cowboys.

Both Brady and Big Ben announce their retirement at the end of this season as that top 3 Buffalo Bills defense beats them down. :P

16 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

This team is going to lose one close game it shouldn't lose somewhere. Just not sure we are quite ready and mature enough to avoid that. It often happens even to more vet teams. The reason I think it could be the Ravens is coming off a let down in Dallas, and they are extremely well coached and have admitted they are going to play an unorthodox brand of football this year. 

As for 54..... if the Bills score 54 points on what will likely be the best secondary in football then they are going to win the Superbowl. 

The ravens game should be interesting since a fair number of our defensive players are familiar with their offensive scheme. 

I think that 10 wins is going to be hard to do, and that 8 or 9 is much more realistic.  Too many fans overestimate how successful the Bills personnel changes will be while at the same time discounting the changes that their opponents have made to their coaching staffs and rosters, some of which have been much more substantial than what the Bills have done.  Moreover, assuming that the Bills will sweep the Jets and Miami is foolish; divisional games -- even when one team seems significantly better than the other -- tend to be very competitive.

18 hours ago, Gugny said:

The Ravens game is the only one I really question.  I think they are going to be complete trash; I hope so, anyway.

Are the patriots going 16-0 this reg season?? 

I think they will lose at least 4 games why one of those loses can’t be to the Bills ???? 

And no need to bring up the past 2 decades this is a different team even compared to last year !!! 

Go Bills !!! 

I HATE that we lose 2 to NE*! AGAIN!! 

We won’t have arrived until this monkey gets kicked off our back and flung over the Falls!

Side note: out thought to never be broken 4 straight SBs is on the line this year with the Cheatriots. WE have 2 opportunities to keep them from attaining it. I realize no current players were part of it, but I hope there’s an added incentive from the team and fans to NOT LET THIS HAPPEN.

Miami keeps dumping players in the effort to "rebuild

Rebuilding Fins cut Spence, three more veterans

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27476062/rebuilding-fins-cut-spence-three-more-veterans

Does this bode for an easy sweep?  ergo increasing some people predictions by a game?