Predict the Season

GunnerBill

Good analysis, Gunner.  The thing I differ on is that I think we can take the Ravens game in Buffalo.  Yes, John Harbaugh has his teams prepared and their defense will be good, but I don't their offense will be good enough this year.  We will be able to run on the Ravens, which will open up the passing game later in the game.  I also think we lose a game somewhere that we should win, maybe against the Jets or Cleveland.  10-6 with a playoff birth.

I'm going to say 9-7.

Losses: Jets (Away), Patriots (Home), Titans, Eagles, Cowboys, Steelers, Patriots (Away)

Wins: Giants, Bengals, Dolphins (Home), Redskins, Browns, Dolphins (Away), Broncos, Ravens, Jets (Home)

I could also see us beating the Titans. But I bet we'll have some games we should have won but lost, but also some games we should have lost but won.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Good analysis, Gunner.  The thing I differ on is that I think we can take the Ravens game in Buffalo.  Yes, John Harbaugh has his teams prepared and their defense will be good, but I don't their offense will be good enough this year.  We will be able to run on the Ravens, which will open up the passing game later in the game.  I also think we lose a game somewhere that we should win, maybe against the Jets or Cleveland.  10-6 with a playoff birth.

I think we are better than Baltimore but I think we lose a game we shouldn't somewhere. To me Baltimore and Tennessee are the two most likely. Awkward, unorthodox teams, with good defensive talent and questionable run heavy offenses.

23 minutes ago, Figster said:

Myself personally eball, Buffalo has good depth, even at some of the key positions.

I agree that the Bills have good depth. What I fear is that the team doesn't have enough elite talent. Good starters all around for the most part, but not many game breaking players. I think the Bills will be a borderline playoff team until they can get another elite player or two, especially on offense.

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think we are better than Baltimore but I think we lose a game we shouldn't somewhere. To me Baltimore and Tennessee are the two most likely. Awkward, unorthodox teams, with good defensive talent and questionable run heavy offenses.

That's exactly what I think too. The Titans are usually underrated and win games that nobody expects. With the Ravens you can never count them out. Harbaugh is a good coach and prepares that team pretty well.

I'll have more perspective of how the season will go after they play the last preseason game as I have questions about the current offensive line. They are not going to have much continuity if Morse doesn't see some action soon. Then, who is to say if he can even hold up for the entire season? In any event even without Morse at center the line looks to be much improved overall. 

Another reason I raise some speculation is because the Jets defensive line gave the Falcons fits with Matt Ryan yelling at his line to give him more time this week. If the Bills O line isn't stable that first week it could be a big problem for the Bills offense.

Plus, can the Bills defensive stop le'Veon Bell? I can recall last season the Bills D had some trouble stopping the run. This last question has some great concern because the Bills play against some really good RBs/running teams in the first few games Jets, Giants, Bengals, Patriots, Titans.  Not to mention that Jets QB Sam Darnold has looked darn sharp in his two preseason games. 

So far the Bills defense has looked great against the Colts, Panthers. But that was without Andrew Luck and Cam Newton along with key Panther offensive/defensive players. It's nice to have a good feeling about winning games...but alas it's only preseason, which is meaningless. 

That season opener at the NY Jets will have a major impact on how the season will go for this years team. So many questions.

Edited by Nihilarian

14 minutes ago, MJS said:

I agree that the Bills have good depth. What I fear is that the team doesn't have enough elite talent. Good starters all around for the most part, but not many game breaking players. I think the Bills will be a borderline playoff team until they can get another elite player or two, especially on offense.

That's exactly what I think too. The Titans are usually underrated and win games that nobody expects. With the Ravens you can never count them out. Harbaugh is a good coach and prepares that team pretty well.

Question, do you think the Pats are loaded with elite talent?

If you don't mind my asking.

9 minutes ago, Figster said:

Question, do you think the Pats are loaded with elite talent?

If you don't mind my asking.

The Patriots are generally the exception rather than the rule. But they do have some elite players. Brady and Gilmore. Obviously Gronk was elite before retiring. I'm not sure if Hightower is considered elite, but he is a really good linebacker. Chung and McCourty are really good safeties.

I think they will be worse this year because they lost an elite player in Gronk.

If one of your elite players is the QB that helps a lot.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

The Patriots are generally the exception rather than the rule. But they do have some elite players. Brady and Gilmore. Obviously Gronk was elite before retiring. I'm not sure if Hightower is considered elite, but he is a really good linebacker. Chung and McCourty are really good safeties.

I think they will be worse this year because they lost an elite player in Gronk.

If one of your elite players is the QB that helps a lot.

He's 42 years old. Plus Gronk's replacement is 38.,..and suspended for 4 games. Just saying. #BetTheUnder

Edited by PromoTheRobot

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He's 42 years old. Plus Gronk's replacement is 38.,..and suspended for 4 games. Just saying. #BetTheUnder

I get your point.  To me, the difference maker is Bill Belichick.  He finds weaknesses in opponents and schemes to exploit them.  That is why it is hard to take the under against the Pats.  I can't wait for the day when Brady is gone and they struggle to be even 9-7.

• Like (+1) 1

Warning: Extreme Homerism Ahead

Week 1 - Bills 31 - Jets 10 - I think we hit the ground running. I think Allen looks good and throws all over that defense, and I think that Lev Bell looks exactly like you'd expect someone who hasn't played football in over a year, while Darnold struggles and throws two picks. 1-0

Week 2 - Bills 17 - Giants 13 - I think this ends up being a close game, and I think Barkley runs well for Giants. This will be a bit of a wakeup call after a week of buying superbowl tickets to only win by a couple, but I think it's a mature game that shows we can win however we need to- I think Singletary explodes on scene here, rushing for 100+. 2-0

Week 3 - Bengals 10 - Bills 27 - Bills get out to a quick lead in front of the home crowd, and then it becomes a boring, mistake filled game where the bills threaten to put it away but never truly do, and the Bengals threaten to rally but consistently shoot themselves in the foot. 3-0

Week 4 - Patriots 21 - Bills 31 - This game is a close back and forth through the first 3.5 quarters, Brady throws a characteristically terrible interception into the waiting arms of Levi Wallace on a 3rd and long that Wallace returns for 6. Oliver throws an offensive lineman to the ground and sacks Brady on 4th down ending any chance of "Tom Terrific" mounting his signature comeback. 4-0

Week 5 - Bills 13 - Titans  21 - Trap game.. Just when it looks like everything is going our way, we fall to a randomly hot Marcus Mariota and the titans. Allen throws a disgusting interception in the fourth (playing hero-ball) that has us going into the bye wondering whether we really do have the answer.  4-1

Week 6 - BYE

Week 7 - Dolphins 0 - Bills 34 - After the up and down of the first quarter of the season, and the questions lingering from the titans game, Brian Daboll calls the best game of his life. Allen goes bonkers with a 66% completion rating, 305 rds, and 3 td's. The defense stifles the dolphins to the tune of 4 turnovers, 7 sacks (including two from Daryl Johnson). The game is over halfway through the 3rd quarter, and the bills go run heavy to end it. 5-1

Week 8 - Eagles 24 - Bills 21 (OT) Tough back and forth game between two teams exerting themselves as the upper echelon of the NFL. Eagles it due to a costly fumble by Shady in eagles Territory which gives them the ball in overtime. 5-2

Week 9 - Redskins 15 - Bills 20 - Fieldgoal game for Redskins. Bills offense looks to be out of sync and plays poorly at times, Redskins offense isn't in sync, it't in the toilet. Entirely forgettable football game, but we get the W. Jay Gruden is one week closer to gone. 6-2

Week 10 - Bills 20 - Browns 31 Could the Bills and the Browns be big hitters in the AFC? That's the question on minds as they square up in the rust belt. The Browns come in at 7-1 with the bills 6-2. It's a good game, but the browns are one step ahead throughout and take the victory and increase their lead in the AFC- important note here- Odell Beckham gets injured and is expected to miss significant time. 6-3

Week 11 - Bills 24 - Dolphins 13 - Another unspectacular game, with the highlight being the continued emergence of Devin Singletary as he busts 3 tackles on his way to a 75 yard score. 7-3

Week 12 - Broncos 10 - Bills 38 - Bills put on a show for the home crowd- Defense again shuts down the opposing team, Drew Lock playing for an injured Joe Flacco throws 3 interceptions (one on a deflection). Robert Foster reemerges in this game after a quiet first 3 months of the season and catches 7 balls for 129 yards and 2 scores (this made possible by John Brown missing the game due to a nagging hand injury) 8-3

Week 13 - Bills 28 - Cowboys 27 - Childhood dream comes true for me as I sit and watch the bills play on thanksgiving. Josh Allen has an up and down game against a great defense, but the bills deep stable of running backs gets the job done. Elliot hurts our defense throughout the game, but get's stuffed by Star in the last minute on the two point conversion attempt to tie. Bills win, I go enter 9 day food coma and wake up in time for the next game. 9-3

Week 14 - Bills 10 - Ravens 13 - Ugly slugfest by two of the best defenses on the planet- both Quarterbacks struggle to get any rhythm going and sustain drives. Ravens get a break when Earl Thomas causes a John Brown fumble late in the 4th. Lamar makes Oliver miss in the backfield and escapes for a 12 yard run on third and 10 and Tucker nails the game winner as time expires. 9-4

Week 15 - Bills 24 - Steelers 27 - A back and forth game where Josh Allen plays his guts out (literally, vomiting on the sideline due to the flu) and the Steelers defense gives him all they got. Barkley comes in for one drive in the fourth and throws a pick six. Allen returns and leads the tying drive (collapsing on the field in exhaustion after hitting Knox for 6) but Big Ben pulls out some magic and drives 80 yards in 34 seconds hitting James Washington on a deep crossing (Poyer cheated for the ball and missed) to set up the game winner. McD tries the Ice but it doesn't work. Bills lose two in a row for the first time this season, interconference loss hurts their positioning. 9-5

Week 16 - Bills 34 - Patriots 21 - The Bills come into Foxborro to face the 9-5 Patriots for the lead in the division. Again, the bills Jugernaut works immediately, causing all kinds of chaos to the patriots and taking a 20-0 lead into the half. We all hold our breath as the second half starts as we've seen this movie before- the bills play disciplined football, Tom Brady does Tom Brady things, but there's too much to overcome, and the bills defense is too good. Brady throws two interceptions in the second half and the Bills are in the drivers seat of the AFC East for the First time in a long long time. 10-5

Week 17 - Bills 27 - Jets 6 - Bills come into this game wanting to lock up the east, and get the first round bye (need the Chiefs to lose to the Chargers on SNF for that to happen). Bills play a thoroughly dominant game with a heavy run game that just beats down the Jets D. Sam Darnold throws two ugly interceptions to end his up and down season that leaves many in NY calling for his head. After his second interception in the first quarter, the Cameras catch Gregg Williams shouting at Adam Gase who stands looking into the distance- rumors swirl that Williams has been undermining Gase's authority since an ugly Week 9 blowout loss to the Dolphins when the wheels came off of the Jets Team. Leveon Bell, who has less than 800 yards rushing at this point in the season, takes himself out of the game and walks to the locker room in the second quarter after getting stuffed on 3rd and inches by Ed Oliver. Bills win handidly and win the AFC East for the first time in my lifetime. They seal a first round bye with a Chiefs loss. 11-5

Final: 11-5 - Victory in the Division Round against the Steelers, loss in the Championship against the Colts- Everything is looking bright in Buffalo, Colts lose to the Eagles in the Superbowl. 

Edited by whatdrought

Just now, Happy Gilmore said:

I get your point.  To me, the difference maker is Bill Belichick.  He finds weaknesses in opponents and schemes to exploit them.  That is why it is hard to take the under against the Pats.  I can't wait for the day when Brady is gone and they struggle to be even 9-7.

My take as well. Looking at Belichick’s coaching history tells me all I need to know about where their success is driven from. Brady’s skillet is unquestionable, but Bill drives the train.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I meant QB's in general. It helps a lot if one of your elite players is at the QB position.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Warning: Extreme Homerism Ahead

Week 1 - Bills 31 - Jets 10 - I think we hit the ground running. I think Allen looks good and throws all over that defense, and I think that Lev Bell looks exactly like you'd expect someone who hasn't played football in over a year, while Darnold struggles and throws two picks. 1-0

Week 2 - Bills 17 - Giants 13 - I think this ends up being a close game, and I think Barkley runs well for Giants. This will be a bit of a wakeup call after a week of buying superbowl tickets to only win by a couple, but I think it's a mature game that shows we can win however we need to- I think Singletary explodes on scene here, rushing for 100+. 2-0

Week 3 - Bengals 10 - Bills 27 - Bills get out to a quick lead in front of the home crowd, and then it becomes a boring, mistake filled game where the bills threaten to put it away but never truly do, and the Bengals threaten to rally but consistently shoot themselves in the foot. 3-0

Week 4 - Patriots 21 - Bills 31 - This game is a close back and forth through the first 3.5 quarters, Brady throws a characteristically terrible interception into the waiting arms of Levi Wallace on a 3rd and long that Wallace returns for 6. Oliver throws an offensive lineman to the ground and sacks Brady on 4th down ending any chance of "Tom Terrific" mounting his signature comeback. 4-0

Week 5 - Bills 13 - Titans  21 - Trap game.. Just when it looks like everything is going our way, we fall to a randomly hot Marcus Mariota and the titans. Allen throws a disgusting interception in the fourth (playing hero-ball) that has us going into the bye wondering whether we really do have the answer.  4-1

Week 6 - BYE

Week 7 - Dolphins 0 - Bills 34 - After the up and down of the first quarter of the season, and the questions lingering from the titans game, Brian Daboll calls the best game of his life. Allen goes bonkers with a 66% completion rating, 305 rds, and 3 td's. The defense stifles the dolphins to the tune of 4 turnovers, 7 sacks (including two from Daryl Johnson). The game is over halfway through the 3rd quarter, and the bills go run heavy to end it. 5-1

Week 8 - Eagles 24 - Bills 21 (OT) Tough back and forth game between two teams exerting themselves as the upper echelon of the NFL. Eagles it due to a costly fumble by Shady in eagles Territory which gives them the ball in overtime. 5-2

Week 9 - Redskins 15 - Bills 20 - Fieldgoal game for Redskins. Bills offense looks to be out of sync and plays poorly at times, Redskins offense isn't in sync, it't in the toilet. Entirely forgettable football game, but we get the W. Jay Gruden is one week closer to gone. 6-2

Week 10 - Bills 20 - Browns 31 Could the Bills and the Browns be big hitters in the AFC? That's the question on minds as they square up in the rust belt. The Browns come in at 7-1 with the bills 6-2. It's a good game, but the browns are one step ahead throughout and take the victory and increase their lead in the AFC- important note here- Odell Beckham gets injured and is expected to miss significant time. 6-3

Week 11 - Bills 24 - Dolphins 13 - Another unspectacular game, with the highlight being the continued emergence of Devin Singletary as he busts 3 tackles on his way to a 75 yard score. 7-3

Week 12 - Broncos 10 - Bills 38 - Bills put on a show for the home crowd- Defense again shuts down the opposing team, Drew Lock playing for an injured Joe Flacco throws 3 interceptions (one on a deflection). Robert Foster reemerges in this game after a quiet first 3 months of the season and catches 7 balls for 129 yards and 2 scores (this made possible by John Brown missing the game due to a nagging hand injury) 8-3

Week 13 - Bills 28 - Cowboys 27 - Childhood dream comes true for me as I sit and watch the bills play on thanksgiving. Josh Allen has an up and down game against a great defense, but the bills deep stable of running backs gets the job done. Elliot hurts our defense throughout the game, but get's stuffed by Star in the last minute on the two point conversion attempt to tie. Bills win, I go enter 9 day food coma and wake up in time for the next game. 9-3

Week 14 - Ravens 10 - Ravens 13 - Ugly slugfest by two of the best defenses on the planet- both Quarterbacks struggle to get any rhythm going and sustain drives. Ravens get a break when Earl Thomas causes a John Brown fumble late in the 4th. Lamar makes Oliver miss in the backfield and escapes for a 12 yard run on third and 10 and Tucker nails the game winner as time expires. 9-4

Week 15 - Bills 24 - Steelers 27 - A back and forth game where Josh Allen plays his guts out (literally, vomiting on the sideline due to the flu) and the Steelers defense gives him all they got. Barkley comes in for one drive in the fourth and throws a pick six. Allen returns and leads the tying drive (collapsing on the field in exhaustion after hitting Knox for 6) but Big Ben pulls out some magic and drives 80 yards in 34 seconds hitting James Washington on a deep crossing (Poyer cheated for the ball and missed) to set up the game winner. McD tries the Ice but it doesn't work. Bills lose two in a row for the first time this season, interconference loss hurts their positioning. 9-5

Week 16 - Bills 34 - Patriots 21 - The Bills come into Foxborro to face the 9-5 Patriots for the lead in the division. Again, the bills Jugernaut works immediately, causing all kinds of chaos to the patriots and taking a 20-0 lead into the half. We all hold our breath as the second half starts as we've seen this movie before- the bills play disciplined football, Tom Brady does Tom Brady things, but there's too much to overcome, and the bills defense is too good. Brady throws two interceptions in the second half and the Bills are in the drivers seat of the AFC East for the First time in a long long time. 10-5

Week 17 - Bills 27 - Jets 6 - Bills come into this game wanting to lock up the east, and get the first round bye (need the Chiefs to lose to the Chargers on SNF for that to happen). Bills play a thoroughly dominant game with a heavy run game that just beats down the Jets D. Sam Darnold throws two ugly interceptions to end his up and down season that leaves many in NY calling for his head. After his second interception in the first quarter, the Cameras catch Gregg Williams shouting at Adam Gase who stands looking into the distance- rumors swirl that Williams has been undermining Gase's authority since an ugly Week 9 blowout loss to the Dolphins when the wheels came off of the Jets Team. Leveon Bell, who has less than 800 yards rushing at this point in the season, takes himself out of the game and walks to the locker room in the second quarter after getting stuffed on 3rd and inches by Ed Oliver. Bills win handidly and win the AFC East for the first time in my lifetime. They seal a first round bye with a Chiefs loss. 11-5

Final: 11-5 - Victory in the Division Round against the Steelers, loss in the Championship against the Colts- Everything is looking bright in Buffalo, Colts lose to the Eagles in the Superbowl. 

Boy, that week 14 match up against the Ravens looks straight up un-winnable

• Haha (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, golfball323 said:

Boy, that week 14 match up against the Ravens looks straight up un-winnable

That one does not worry me as much.......

*  Jackson will be exposed and defenses will have a plan.  High probability he is out with an injury.

*  The D has taken some heavy losses in FA.  Some of the stars are older and will be tired by week 14.

*  Buffalo home game

*  A few days extra rest and prep time coming off the Thanksgiving game.

The Broncos defense could be very good by the time they play us.  Maybe home field will carry the day in a low scoring game.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

That one does not worry me as much.......

*  Jackson will be exposed and defenses will have a plan.  High probability he is out with an injury.

*  The D has taken some heavy losses in FA.  Some of the stars are older and will be tired by week 14.

*  Buffalo home game

*  A few days extra rest and prep time coming off the Thanksgiving game.

The Broncos defense could be very good by the time they play us.  Maybe home field will carry the day in a low scoring game.

Was just referencing to his typo "Ravens vs. Ravens", which he has since edited. 

We'll beat Baltimore...

I think 10-6 is very realistic.  CBSSports put Bills as 31'st easiest schedule (Pats at 32). 

Key is #1 Bills have to have a decent running game.  Last years running game won't do.  If they have to try and rely on JA to much then the offense is going to break down.  Can't have continuous 3rd and longs etc. 

2nd key is Bills have to get off to a very good start.  They can't be just 6-5 coming into that 4 game stretch of games 12-15.  

And of course key players staying healthy. 

The other thing too is the Bills don't need JA to do it all.  They can win with great defense and an effective running game and let Allen play within himself, which should be very effective. JA doesn't need to throw for 4000 yards and 40 TD's for Bills to have a great season. 

• Like (+1) 1