Badminton World Championships from Basel

Nextmanup

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Is it men’s or women’s? How are they handling the shuttlecock?

Finally!  I've been waiting for some entertaining comments in this thread! 

It was men's.  The one guy seemed to be Chinese, and he was a master at stroking that shuttlecock all over the court.

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Finally!  I've been waiting for some entertaining comments in this thread! 

It was men's.  The one guy seemed to be Chinese, and he was a master at stroking that shuttlecock all over the court.

How did he seem to be Chinese?

12 hours ago, Gugny said:

How did he seem to be Chinese?

You know, Asian looking.  The graphic on the screen was Player A name vs. Player B name, not national names.

His name seemed consistent with being Chinese, but he could have been from somewhere else.  

My mom won a badminton set from work once. Came with the net, biridies, rackets, and even ribbon to measure out an official sized court. One boring day during summer vacation, my brother and I finally decided to set it up, and even looked up the rules. We took it very seriously. We got into huge arguments over whether it landed in our out, etc. After about two days we reckoned we were both getting pretty good at it.

It happened to be summer Olympic time. So we turned on badminton to see how the pros do it. That's when we realized that we were not, in fact, getting pretty good at it. We were actually quite bad compared to these guys. Thus went our plans of going pro. 

2 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

My mom won a badminton set from work once. Came with the net, biridies, rackets, and even ribbon to measure out an official sized court. One boring day during summer vacation, my brother and I finally decided to set it up, and even looked up the rules. We took it very seriously. We got into huge arguments over whether it landed in our out, etc. After about two days we reckoned we were both getting pretty good at it.

It happened to be summer Olympic time. So we turned on badminton to see how the pros do it. That's when we realized that we were not, in fact, getting pretty good at it. We were actually quite bad compared to these guys. Thus went our plans of going pro. 

Could have turned out differently if you were only coached by the famous Ryan Brothers.

Badminton has gone really downhill. I remember the glory days of Ought Nine, when the Pakistani national team (Gupta and Reddy) would dominate with a really finesse shuttle/net game. I think they used rackets made of poplar wood and bamboo.

Nothing like that anymore. Just a bunch of guys on PEDs, smashing the birdie with graphite sticks. Such a shame. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Badminton has gone really downhill. I remember the glory days of Ought Nine, when the Pakistani national team (Gupta and Reddy) would dominate with a really finesse shuttle/net game. I think they used rackets made of poplar wood and bamboo.

Nothing like that anymore. Just a bunch of guys on PEDs, smashing the birdie with graphite sticks. Such a shame. 

YIKES! A rare JR sighting! Welcome back! 

I might have to tune in to check it out.....PED’s to whack a shuttlecock? Struggling to envision this....

8 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Hey JR!! Welcome back! That was one long suspension by the moderators. ?