Why Was Jim Kelly “QB Bills” in Tecmo Super Bowl?

17 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Raiders with Bo. Sweep play, then zig-zag your way down the field. TD every time. Absolutely unstoppable.

That too. I remember as a kid I started and finished seasons with every single team. White/typed up final stats and everything. A few things I remember with certain teams. 

Raiders- I finished with over 3,000 yards without Bo and another 2,000 yards with Allen. 

Bills- I had over 70-80 sacks with Bruce

49ers- I had ridiculous passing numbers with Montana. Receiving numbers with Rice. And my greatest feat, I finished the season with allowing less than 1,000 yards total offense with my defense. For the whole season. 

Same reason he didnt have football trading cards for a few years. Pro Set said screw it and went ahead anyway and made a Kelly but stamped the back different as it didnt have NFLPA rights - there are a few diff 91 versions. Starting lineups were haulted for a couple years too. He was in the qb club though so proline and dominos cards were ok. This is the reason you used to get blank jererys in the 80s and 90s at retail as well. No rights

51 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

Same reason he didnt have football trading cards for a few years. Pro Set said screw it and went ahead anyway and made a Kelly but stamped the back different as it didnt have NFLPA rights - there are a few diff 91 versions. Starting lineups were haulted for a couple years too. He was in the qb club though so proline and dominos cards were ok. This is the reason you used to get blank jererys in the 80s and 90s at retail as well. No rights

Wow....but what I don't understand is why Kelly was only 1 of 3 players who weren’t part of the NFLPA.  

It makes me wonder why.  Also I thought you had to join as a player. 

1 hour ago, mrags said:

That too. I remember as a kid I started and finished seasons with every single team. White/typed up final stats and everything. A few things I remember with certain teams. 

Raiders- I finished with over 3,000 yards without Bo and another 2,000 yards with Allen. 

Bills- I had over 70-80 sacks with Bruce

49ers- I had ridiculous passing numbers with Montana. Receiving numbers with Rice. And my greatest feat, I finished the season with allowing less than 1,000 yards total offense with my defense. For the whole season. 

One my favorite (no Bills) teams were the Houston Oilers.  Awesome QB on Moon and I love the run-and-shoot group of 4 WR’s Jefferies, Givens, Drew Hill, and Curtis Duncan.

Also Leonard White was like a smaller Okoye and he was an awesome pass catcher 

Edited by Phil The Thrill

I have an NES classic mini & found instructions online to hack it & add more games. I recently got a 2019 version of Tecmo Super Bowl on it. It's awesome playing my favorite game from my youth as Josh Allen. Oliver is a stud too.

12 hours ago, mrags said:

The 49ers were by far the best team they had Montana, Rice, Taylor, Craig, And on defense they had Ronnie Lott. Lott was what we called the “touch tackle defense”. Most times playing the game, when tackling you got locked up with a defender and whoever lashed the buttons the fastest won the battle. Lott was a super cheat. All you had to do was touch the player and they were instantly tackled. 

Yeah but it was the same for Bruce and Bennett.  You could do anything you wanted if you picked Bruce before the play.

30 minutes ago, MJS said:

It's the same reason why Bill Belichick is never in Madden. He's the only coach not part of the coaches union.

Sean Payton too I believe 

34 minutes ago, BringBackFlutie said:

Yeah but it was the same for Bruce and Bennett.  You could do anything you wanted if you picked Bruce before the play.

Bruce was good. I had the most sacks I ever had with Bruce. But no team ever came close to the 49ers defense. Allowing less than 1,000 yards for the entire season is insane. I don’t remember how much less but at 1,000 yards it comes out to less than 63 yards a game. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, mrags said:

The 49ers were by far the best team they had Montana, Rice, Taylor, Craig, And on defense they had Ronnie Lott. Lott was what we called the “touch tackle defense”. Most times playing the game, when tackling you got locked up with a defender and whoever lashed the buttons the fastest won the battle. Lott was a super cheat. All you had to do was touch the player and they were instantly tackled. 

Giants took them to the tool shed twice in that era for SBs

knocking Montana out cold helped

6 minutes ago, mrags said:

Sean Payton too I believe

Is that still the case? I know he was missing in the past. But I think he has been in it the last few years. Maybe I'm wrong.

47 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

If that's the same Quarterback Club later made by Acclaim, then that game was great. Quarterback Club 98 and 99 were supposed to be better than the Madden games at the time. Plus they had the entire NFL rosters.

I had one of the early QB Club games and there definitely were not better than Madden. They kind of sucked

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

Giants took them to the tool shed twice in that era for SBs

knocking Montana out cold helped

Who was the DC for the Giants then? I forget 

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Is that still the case? I know he was missing in the past. But I think he has been in it the last few years. Maybe I'm wrong.

Well. I haven’t played the last 2. The Antonio Brown was was terrible. I sold it back to gamestop about a week after I bought it. Decided not to play this one either. 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Wow....but what I don't understand is why Kelly was only 1 of 3 players who weren’t part of the NFLPA.  

One my favorite (no Bills) teams were the Houston Oilers.  Awesome QB on Moon and I love the run-and-shoot group of 4 WR’s Jefferies, Givens, Drew Hill, and Curtis Duncan.

I used to play as the Bills yet used a lot of the run and shoot plays. I specifically remember putting Beebe at FB and running this play quite a bit as he'd end up in the slot running a go route and resulted in a TD almost every time.

PS You meant Lorenzo White.

PhotoGrid_1566352553098.jpg

Edited by The Jokeman

10 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Actually there were a lot of players. You have to look at the timeline. After the strike of 1986 there was a lot going on. At some point, I think in the early 90s the players decertified the union - just like they always do when there's a labor dispute. Once they do that the owners can't lock the players out as a group just because they don't have a collective bargaining agreement.

But then what happened was the NFLPA kept representing players in things like marketing deals, and using the money they raised to fund their lawsuits against the league. The NFL  decided to take took advantage of the fact that the players weren't technically represented by the union. Since there was no CBA the NFL could make deals with individual players in order to market their jerseys etc. They paid a boatload of money to a bunch of players which added to the labor strife. But with no CBA and technically no NFLPA as the bargaining representative, the owners couldn't lock them out and the players couldn't strike - except as individuals. For the time being they both found it best to keep playing games and file their lawsuits - many of which wouldn't be allowed if there was a CBA in place.

Anyway, that's why there were a bunch of players back then who weren't part of the NFLPA licensing deals with companies like TECMO. It actually didn't last long because a court decision found that it was illegal for the players to decertify the union in order to file lawsuits, and then keep using the NFLPA as a collective representative with licensing deals and in their lawsuits. The court said you're either represented by a union or you're not.

And the eventual result was a temporary free agency  system lovingly referred to as Plan B, which lasted until they finally all agreed on the current system we have today with free agency after 4 years but with franchise/transition tags and restricted free agency for guys with less than 4 years, along with the salary cap.

• Like (+1) 1