Sign in to follow this  
The Bills Blog

I think the wait might actually be over.

1 hour ago, The Bills Blog said:

Making the playoffs a couple years ago was cool, but I don't think anyone would argue that it really lifted the dark cloud over this franchise. Our journey back to respectability/true competitiveness continues.

But I think this might be the year that a page is turned, emphatically.

I've watched an unhealthy amount of preseason football this year. And it seems like the Bills might be really good. Top to bottom. And they've got star players to make impact plays at every level of the field on offense and defense.

Something feels different now.

Other than the Patriots, I can't think of an opponent I fear. And the only reason I fear them is not because of talent; it's because they're smarter than everyone else.

I think we're going 12-4 this year. We'll be good out of the gate. The future will arrive suddenly, as it often does when teams turn the corner. Within a month or two of the season starting, the Bills being a top team will just be accepted. I don't think there'll be any sweating out a playoff spot.

Go Bills!

Every time I read a post like this my inner fan who is very superstitious screams "no!"

I know it is irrational, but it is not like the fickle gods of football fate have ever been kind to the Bills. They have carried us older fans to the mountain top a few times only to chuck us off the other side. Yet here we go, waiving flags of hope in open defiance that are certain to get their attention....again.

Everyone just needs to shush this optimistic nonsense and channel their inner-Sully.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 wins is what I’m hoping at least. 

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

I really don’t mean to pee in your Cheerios.  I do like the direction of the team, but I don’t think they’re there yet.  It’s a process.

Do you trust it?

• Haha (+1) 1

I was saying 9 wins was the floor back in May. After watching them play a bit, and considering the schedule, I feel a lot more confident in that. This very well could be the first double digit win season in a looooooooong time. 

They won 6 games last year with a mediocre offensive line, very little at WR, 4 different starting QBs, and a tougher schedule. Now, the roster looks much better, entering the season with an entrenched starter at QB (who is a gamer) in the same offensive system, and the league seems to have done the Bills several favors with the schedule. A lot of stars seem to have aligned for the Bills to make a run this year.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

Making the playoffs a couple years ago was cool, but I don't think anyone would argue that it really lifted the dark cloud over this franchise. Our journey back to respectability/true competitiveness continues.

But I think this might be the year that a page is turned, emphatically.

I've watched an unhealthy amount of preseason football this year. And it seems like the Bills might be really good. Top to bottom. And they've got star players to make impact plays at every level of the field on offense and defense.

Something feels different now.

Other than the Patriots, I can't think of an opponent I fear. And the only reason I fear them is not because of talent; it's because they're smarter than everyone else.

I think we're going 12-4 this year. We'll be good out of the gate. The future will arrive suddenly, as it often does when teams turn the corner. Within a month or two of the season starting, the Bills being a top team will just be accepted. I don't think there'll be any sweating out a playoff spot.

Go Bills!

It definitely feels different.  It all comes down to Josh.  We don’t need anymore 10-7 or 9-6 losses.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Do not read much into preseason games.

I know I need to slow my roll, but I saw Allen make quick, decisive, accurate throws throughout his entire run in the Carolina game. I hadn't seen that before. I still don't fully believe he's gonna ever master this, but I have more hope than I did before that display. He could very easily lay an egg and that demonstration of proficiency could be a mirage, but it's something. I don't care that Carolina was playing vanilla defense, etc. I didn't see any of that in preseason/regular season last year and that includes the finale where he successfully demonstrated the big plays I know he can make, largely because the Fish had quit. Even in that game, I didn't see what I saw on Thursday. 

He just MIGHT be the ultimate anomaly.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 2

I remember when we first got our new HC, from the very beginning, it felt like he and the Bills finally had a plan.....let's not forget how he inherited a whole lot of cap issues and frankly, some players who  were not performing well....now has it been perfect ?...hell no....but ever since that day, I felt comfortable with McD at the helm...and that feeling is only getting stronger....we are building the right way...finally...and the results are coming soon.....

• Like (+1) 1

Not only will we have a good team, but we will split with the Pats! I am so psyched for this season to start.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, skibum said:

How long have you been doing this Bills thing?

Long enough to know the difference between poser regimes, QB’s and coaches, versus the real deal of the 90’s run. This is as the OP observes, different indeed. 

• Thanks! (+1) 1

And yet, the wait is not over, cause it’s still just the middle of freaking August. Ughhhh!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Did I miss a  19-0  post? 

Are we slipping???

😋

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, whatdrought said:

And yet, the wait is not over, cause it’s still just the middle of freaking August. Ughhhh!

I hear ya. But just a hop skip and a jump until college football starts, and from there just another hop and 2 skips and we are there bro!!:thumbsup:

51 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

my body is ready

😳 To drink from the keg of glory?  

For a massage? 

For a sacrifice??

Y'all saying "we should be better but we are not there yet" have to know that if Josh is for real, we are very much there. And we need to be while Josh is on his rookie deal. Preseason or not, I feel good about this squad and how it has been built. Let's just get this thing started!

• Thanks! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I’m expecting what a lot of beat reporters and analysts have been predicting.  The Bills could be anywhere from a 7 to 9 win team.  With a little luck maybe more.  

But I think what’s most important is that we see improvement from Josh Allen

I don't disagree.

But when weren't we looking like a 7 to 9 win team?

That range is where most of this league lives, most of the time, and where we have been for years.  

What feels different (I would suggest to the OP) now is the widely held perception that we have a good QB.

Whether or not we actually do is far from determined at this point in time.

I am cautiously optimistic. I still don't quite buy that this is the most talented Bills team in years. I think people forget just how loaded that 2015 squad was. If ever a Bills team should have won double digit games it was that one playing against an NFC East and AFC South that were both poor divisions (combined for 51-77 records). 

That said this group is probably better in the two spots that make all the difference - it is definitely better at Head Coach and even a small step forward from Josh would make it better at Quarterback too. 

The schedule lines up nicely too. I am not one of those who believes it is impossible to predict what a schedule will look like before the season. Is there always a team or two who does significantly worse or better than you would expect? Yep. But equally there are plenty of teams every year in the NFL who are what we thought they were. This schedule is favourable. This might be the least fearsome the AFC North has looked in a decade despite the fact that the Browns are better than they have been in a while and the NFC East is s split division this year in that I think it houses two potential Superbowl teams in the Cowboys and Eagles and two potential candidates for the #1 overall pick. Oh and we have a team in our own division who we will play twice who could be in that conversation too. There are multiple routes to double digit wins for the Bills and strangely few games you put an L next to before a ball has been kicked off in anger. 

So if the QB and Head Coach are part 1 of my reasoning, and the schedule is part 2, addressing our needs is part three. I don't think this roster building is finished yet, but I think they did some of the heavy lifting this spring. The offensive line will be improved and has been even in pre-season and the wide receivers while 2nd tier players and not first tier players do seem a fit. Brown is an obvious fit with Allen's skillset and a guy the Bills identified over a year ago. Cole Beasley is a fit for Daboll's offense my concern was whether Josh was sufficiently advanced in his development to take advantage of Beasley's skillset. I think that was the single biggest takeaway from the Panthers game. That chemistry is developing and Josh was able to get him the ball. I don't believe there is a thousand yard receiver on this team but could there be 3 or even 4 guys in that 600-800 yard range? I think there could. 

On defense they didn't have many holes as such but they needed more penetration from the Dline and they needed more depth at linebacker and in the secondary. Ed Oliver helps the first of those, Kevin Johnson and Kurt Coleman may have helped with the third (shame EJ Gaines got hurt too). The question going into camp was the second but the way the Bills have developed Corey Thompson, an UDFA from last year, is exciting to me. If they have something there not only does it reflect really well on our coaches but it reduces another potential vulnerability. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Greetings from an early adopter. I called 10 a month or two ago.

Poppycock & Bolderdash! You jumped on the Preseason Hype Bandwagon, and you know it!😡

(jk. Yer a Richard & hate everything about the team😉 -so this scares the crap outta me!)

@GunnerBill Outstanding post! 

31 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Poppycock & Bolderdash! You jumped on the Preseason Hype Bandwagon, and you know it!😡

(jk. Yer a Richard & hate everything about the team😉 -so this scares the crap outta me!)

@GunnerBill Outstanding post! 

Huhwut? :P

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Huhwut? :P

Dare we dream of a split with NE*??

nevermind.... I’m going to bed.