I think the wait might actually be over.

18 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Gunner, for me it's not about 2019.  It's about the run, which I think begins this year, but the real winning doesn't begin until 2020.  

And it's for the reason you give.  It's the coach and the QB.  It's clear to me that what McDermott is doing works.  This team will continue to get better because it will learn more and more.

And I've been sold on Allen since last season. Physically, he is superb.  But he also is smart, hard working and competitive.  That is, he is like Brady but with a body and an arm.  I had no doubt he'd master the short passing game and the ball possession game, because she is smart and he has the tools.  We've begun to see the development of this mastery this preseason.

As for talent, it's overrated.  I have no ideas if the Bills had better talent in 2015, but it doesn't matter.  They didn't have McD and they didn't have Allen. 

I agree it is not just about 2019. And nobody is a bigger McDermott homer than me - I was a McDermott homer before he was the Bills Head Coach even..... I wanted to fire Rex and hire him a year before we did as he coordinated the Panthers smothering D that went to the Superbowl. 

As for the final line.... I don't agree that talent is overrated. I think the Bills are well set at Head Coach. I am more positive than ever that they might be there at QB too. However, to contend for a Championship - ie. to win a Superbowl - they will need a bit more top end talent around them. Tre White is pretty much there and Micah Hyde and Jerry Hughes are fine players at their own position too (top 10 guys) behind but they need a couple of Edmunds, Milano and Oliver to get to that level and they need an elite difference maker or two on offense. The team can be good this year, it can be a playoff team. But a couple of those guys developing plus the drafting of a genuine stud on offense next spring (likely at receiver) and they will be ready to contend for a title in 2020. 

• Like (+1) 2

I believe the key to this season will be Daboll and Beasley. The modern NFL is all about stringing drives together and staying on the field after third down. Move the chains! Brady has made a career of it. Let’s hope Cole becomes the perfect safety valve that our young QB needs. 

• Like (+1) 1

I've been fooled before. Repeatedly. And yes, I know it's only preseason.

But honestly, they've looked pretty darn potent in preseason. And it's not about how many points they scored, or breaking down Allen's completion percentage, but we've honestly seen a lot out of our young players. 

Allen has looked sharper and more decisive, and the worst thing that anyone could say about his performance Week 2 was that he could have finessed a completion to Beasley more so that Beasley could have had a nice run after catch instead of a 4 yard pickup on first down.

The O-line, for the most part, has looked considerably improved and Dawkins and Ford are more than holding their own. Ford in particular looks like he has enormous value in being able to swing between tackle and guard. 

Beasley looks like a genius find, and even when teams scheme to stop him, that should really open up the rest of the offense.

Singletary has stood out even in a crowded running back group.

Ed Oliver is getting double teamed and is still making plays, and you can see Edmunds hitting the hole at just the right time. Tre White and Wallace looks like a corner tandem for years to come. 

The team is young, and looks like it can stay that way for a long time.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

Making the playoffs a couple years ago was cool, but I don't think anyone would argue that it really lifted the dark cloud over this franchise. Our journey back to respectability/true competitiveness continues.

But I think this might be the year that a page is turned, emphatically.

I've watched an unhealthy amount of preseason football this year. And it seems like the Bills might be really good. Top to bottom. And they've got star players to make impact plays at every level of the field on offense and defense.

Something feels different now.

Other than the Patriots, I can't think of an opponent I fear. And the only reason I fear them is not because of talent; it's because they're smarter than everyone else.

I think we're going 12-4 this year. We'll be good out of the gate. The future will arrive suddenly, as it often does when teams turn the corner. Within a month or two of the season starting, the Bills being a top team will just be accepted. I don't think there'll be any sweating out a playoff spot.

Go Bills!

Obligatory  :censored: the Pats 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree it is not just about 2019. And nobody is a bigger McDermott homer than me - I was a McDermott homer before he was the Bills Head Coach even..... I wanted to fire Rex and hire him a year before we did as he coordinated the Panthers smothering D that went to the Superbowl. 

As for the final line.... I don't agree that talent is overrated. I think the Bills are well set at Head Coach. I am more positive than ever that they might be there at QB too. However, to contend for a Championship - ie. to win a Superbowl - they will need a bit more top end talent around them. Tre White is pretty much there and Micah Hyde and Jerry Hughes are fine players at their own position too (top 10 guys) behind but they need a couple of Edmunds, Milano and Oliver to get to that level and they need an elite difference maker or two on offense. The team can be good this year, it can be a playoff team. But a couple of those guys developing plus the drafting of a genuine stud on offense next spring (likely at receiver) and they will be ready to contend for a title in 2020. 

I agree with you. It's one reason I think they're a year away. They need one more year of talent infusion. 

What I meant was that coaching is so important that however much talent you may think the Bills had in 2015, it really didn't matter.  They didn't have a coach.

I think the best teams in the league don't always have the best talent.  They have at least good talent.  What the best teams in the league always have is good coaching.  

10 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I know I need to slow my roll, but I saw Allen make quick, decisive, accurate throws throughout his entire run in the Carolina game. I hadn't seen that before. I still don't fully believe he's gonna ever master this, but I have more hope than I did before that display. He could very easily lay an egg and that demonstration of proficiency could be a mirage, but it's something. I don't care that Carolina was playing vanilla defense, etc. I didn't see any of that in preseason/regular season last year and that includes the finale where he successfully demonstrated the big plays I know he can make, largely because the Fish had quit. Even in that game, I didn't see what I saw on Thursday. 

He just MIGHT be the ultimate anomaly.

I will tell you this: I’d trade any record this season to have Allen show he’s a franchise QB.  He definitely has plays where he looks like he is.  If he can develop and make that the norm, then I’m more than happy.  That would make finishing the team build so much easier.  Players would WANT to come here. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

What I meant was that coaching is so important that however much talent you may think the Bills had in 2015, it really didn't matter.  They didn't have a coach.

For sure. I knew Rex was a mistake the moment it happened. 

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I will tell you this: I’d trade any record this season to have Allen show he’s a franchise QB.  He definitely has plays where he looks like he is.  If he can develop and make that the norm, then I’m more than happy.  That would make finishing the team build so much easier.  Players would WANT to come here. 

I think it's already clear he will get there.  He will be a star in the league next season, if not this.  He is smart and he is coachable.  He has the physical tools.  

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

For sure. I knew Rex was a mistake the moment it happened. 

One of the most encouraging things I've seen as a Bills fan was watching the Pegulas recognize the Rex blunder and recover from it.  They demonstrated that they were learning what it takes to be successful owners. 

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think it's already clear he will get there.  He will be a star in the league next season, if not this.  He is smart and he is coachable.  He has the physical tools.  

I’d say it’s a long way from clear he’ll get there.  A lot of QBs who posses the physical tools to play the game and are smart and coachable don’t make it.  Those players often flash at times too.  I’m hoping for a great ride watching Allen develop - and I’ve seen encouraging things from him, but it’s definitely not a sure thing at this point. ?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

But honestly, they've looked pretty darn potent in preseason. And it's not about how many points they scored, or breaking down Allen's completion percentage, but we've honestly seen a lot out of our young players. 

Allen has looked sharper and more decisive, and the worst thing that anyone could say about his performance Week 2 was that he could have finessed a completion to Beasley more so that Beasley could have had a nice run after catch instead of a 4 yard pickup on first down.

The O-line, for the most part, has looked considerably improved and Dawkins and Ford are more than holding their own. Ford in particular looks like he has enormous value in being able to swing between tackle and guard. 

Beasley looks like a genius find, and even when teams scheme to stop him, that should really open up the rest of the offense.

Ed Oliver is getting double teamed and is still making plays, and you can see Edmunds hitting the hole at just the right time. Tre White and Wallace looks like a corner tandem for years to come. 

For me.... It's not so much that they look potent; but more so, they look competent.  I've said for several years now... far too many it seems... that all I want is to see the Bills field an actual professional football team each week.  I haven't even cared about winning so much, just don't show complete ineptitude.   It seems, watching the end of last season, and even more so this preseason, that the Bills are finally turning into a competitive, professional, prepared football team.  

My biggest concern, quite honestly, is what did McD and company do in those blow out losses last year?  Can they scheme better as a coaching staff?   

But, there is no doubt this team is transforming right before our eyes into a true contending NFL team.  Will it all come together this year or not... We'll all see.  But it seems it is definitely happening.   And what is most encouraging... Beane and McD appear to be building a perrenial contender, not a flashy team with high priced free agents and me first players.   Its a good time to be a Bills fan!

They have everything in place to be very good.  I think a playoff run is real.  The defense will be nasty.  They dont play but a handful of top qbs.  The defense has stymied alot of good offenses the last few years.

Looking at how much of a mess the team was last season, it was something that they still won six games. McDermott really knows how to get a lot out of a little. If the defense can continue to build on what they've done, and Allen figures it out even just a little and can get at least 21-24 points on the board per game, I think they have a shot at winning double digit games.

2 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I’ll admit, I wasn’t a huge fan of the Cole Beasley signing or the Singletary draft pick..

Preseason it may be, but those two jump off the screen.  

Cole Beasley, we knew he has skill, but I just didn’t know how effective he would be in this offense.  

Singletary was a human highlight reel but lacks breakaway speed and wasn’t used in the passing game.  Red flags for a high draft pick.  Clearly the guy can catch and his speed looks plenty fast enough, especially when factoring in his incredible quick twitch shift ability.  

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Singletary was a human highlight reel but lacks breakaway speed and wasn’t used in the passing game.  Red flags for a high draft pick.  Clearly the guy can catch and his speed looks plenty fast enough, especially when factoring in his incredible quick twitch shift ability.  

I was never worried about Singletary in the pass game. Always thought he could do it even if there wasn't much evidence of it on his college tape. I'm also not all that worried about his long speed. What worried me, and still worries me, is his ability to be an every down running back. Those early down runs does he have the power or the burst to beat defenses set up to play the run and set up to contain him? When the defenses are spaced out a little more I think the kid can make guys make and make plays. He has had 11 carries in pre-season which is decent enough volume but is only averaging 3.0 per carry. I know the Bills have been quite vanilla in their blocking schemes and Shady and Gore have had low ypa too but it is a concern of mine still with Singletary. The good news is this year the Bills don't need to use him as an every down back. They can bring him along at their own speed.

16 hours ago, jkeerie said:

Think about it though.  Outside of the Superbowl team, when have the Bill's ever had a solid GM and coaching staff?  This team is different. 

When I think about some of the others, in their initial press conferences they talked about Superbowls.  These guys (Beane and McD) talked about building a team.  If you build it right...the wins will follow.

Yes, remember they said “we’re not just acquiring talent, we’re building a team”.  That’s why I didn’t believe they were pursuing ‘Look at me!’ Antonio Brown.  He’s a great talent but continues to show it’s all about him.  Even though they say they let players be themselves, I don’t think McD would’ve been too happy if a player arrived at camp in a hot air balloon.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

Making the playoffs a couple years ago was cool, but I don't think anyone would argue that it really lifted the dark cloud over this franchise. Our journey back to respectability/true competitiveness continues.

But I think this might be the year that a page is turned, emphatically.

I've watched an unhealthy amount of preseason football this year. And it seems like the Bills might be really good. Top to bottom. And they've got star players to make impact plays at every level of the field on offense and defense.

Something feels different now.

Other than the Patriots, I can't think of an opponent I fear. And the only reason I fear them is not because of talent; it's because they're smarter than everyone else.

I think we're going 12-4 this year. We'll be good out of the gate. The future will arrive suddenly, as it often does when teams turn the corner. Within a month or two of the season starting, the Bills being a top team will just be accepted. I don't think there'll be any sweating out a playoff spot.

Go Bills!

Calling all "pump the brakes" posters, calling all "pump the brakes" posters...

16 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I know I need to slow my roll, but I saw Allen make quick, decisive, accurate throws throughout his entire run in the Carolina game. I hadn't seen that before. I still don't fully believe he's gonna ever master this, but I have more hope than I did before that display. He could very easily lay an egg and that demonstration of proficiency could be a mirage, but it's something. I don't care that Carolina was playing vanilla defense, etc. I didn't see any of that in preseason/regular season last year and that includes the finale where he successfully demonstrated the big plays I know he can make, largely because the Fish had quit. Even in that game, I didn't see what I saw on Thursday. 

He just MIGHT be the ultimate anomaly.

Preseason throws are the same as regular season and playoff throws. Is Josh making his throws? Don't overthink it.

20 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Week 1 is a good test because many say that we are even with the Jets or many national TV types think the Jets are better. If we go in their house on opening day and beat them. Good way to start the season. 

Yup. If the Bills are going to get to the next level, these are the games they have to win. Over the past 17 yrs., these are the games we just couldn't win. Thus the all-to-

frequent 4-12 to 7-9 records.