Popeyes vs Chick Fil A

plenzmd1

On 7/31/2020 at 12:34 PM, The Poojer said:

as the kids say...that spicy chicken sandwich is bangin'. despite the spicy chicken sammy, the spicy chicken, red beans and rice and a couple pickled jalapeno's is among the best meals i have ever had.......hell, chik-fil-a is even in the rear view mirror of Royal Farms.  Chik-Fil-A is the cleveland browns of the chicken world.  Popeyes is the NY Yankees, Royal Farms is the Buffalo Bills

You being a Bills fan makes it hard for me to understand the rating system you are using.?

13 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

Popeye's is a simpler taste, Chick fill A comes with a side of preaching their version of religion. Makes their food hard to swallow.

Because they are closed on Sunday? Is that preaching religion? Please enlighten me if I’m missing something. I’ve been to many Chik Fil A’s, and would go more often if not for the crowds. I’ve never noticed any type of religious propaganda. Am I missing something? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Because they are closed on Sunday? Is that preaching religion? Please enlighten me if I’m missing something. I’ve been to many Chik Fil A’s, and would go more often if not for the crowds. I’ve never noticed any type of religious propaganda. Am I missing something? 

I thought they were closed on Sunday so they could all watch Bills football...

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Augie said:

Their corporate purpose is to glorify God by being a faithful steward.

They hold group prayer meetings in training and management meetings.

I believe no corporation who makes it living serving the public at large has the right to be religious. Corporations should never present themselves with religious or political views to the public or their employees. Religion is personal not corporate. Whether they close Sunday or not is not part of the issue.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Niagara Bill said:

I believe no corporation who makes it living serving the public at large has the right to be religious. Corporations should never present themselves with religious or political views to the public or their employees. Religion is personal not corporate. Whether they close Sunday or not is not part of the issue.

You feel free to vote with your feet. I have enjoyed their food and know people who have worked there. They had no problem with the culture. If you do, feel free to act as you please. The founder clearly has strong faith, and he’s willing to put that faith ahead of your dollars. In some respects I admire that. He’s not telling you how to act or feel. If you dislike it that much, you can work or eat elsewhere. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I can think of a lot worse things corporations can (do) aspire to than "faithful steward."

That said the Popeye's sandwich is stupid good and I'll just live with the withering looks from the ill-mannered folks that serve it.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Niagara Bill said:

They aren't GE or IBM.........they're a private company that can do whatever they'd like. Technically (even though they never would), they could refuse to serve someone that came in with blue hair "just because."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

They aren't GE or IBM.........they're a private company that can do whatever they'd like. Technically (even though they never would), they could refuse to serve someone that came in with blue hair "just because."

So they can refuse a Muslim? Or a Catholic, or a gay, or a Puerto Rican or a Hispanic, or a bald man because he us private company sealing to the public. Public means public.

In my view I have the right to enter his business since he is open to the public, I also have the right not to enter, but he does not have the right to refuse me. 

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

So they can refuse a Muslim? Or a Catholic, or a gay, or a Puerto Rican or a Hispanic, or a bald man because he us private company sealing to the public. Public means public.

In my view I have the right to enter his business since he is open to the public, I also have the right not to enter, but he does not have the right to refuse me. 

tenor.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

There's US law on the books for decades that tells businesses what sort of classes they cannot arbitrarily discriminate against.  Stay in your lane, hoser.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Niagara Bill said:

What if the franchise was owned by a woman? Lotsa "he" responses above.

18 hours ago, Augie said:

Ok, I'm jumping in here with what I think (hope) most of yall will be surprised is a fairly balanced take. There is a lot of lingering bad PR for Chick-fil-a, which they brought on themselves. I'll touch on why that started, and what they've done about it since.

It isn't so much about their own Christian beliefs, but rather the use of their wealth to fund anti-LGBTQ groups, and using their "Christian beliefs" to justify it.

Additionally, and to your question, as an example of pushing propaganda, up until only a few years ago the location on Peachtree at Collier was decorated with posters advertising their "Family Camp". Which was actually a Christian Gay Conversion camp. The owners of CFA were also partially funding those camps. They also had pamphlets available in the location which detailed "signs to look for", if you thought you needed to send your kid to get the gay converted out of them. I know that wasn't the only location to have all that.

Chick-fil-a has since shifted a bit. They've taken down all the posters and distanced themselves from the conversion camps. And they've drastically changed where they are donating money. Although it still isn't perfect.

Here is a great article that provides a lot of detail on the subject: Link

So that is why you will often find people who have problems with CFA.

THAT ALL SAID...

When the controversy first hit back in 2011-12, I was working at a small startup where about 1/3 of the staff was gay or trans. There was a CFA right next door, and we all ate there pretty often. I remember asking the group if they wanted us to join the boycott, as we would happily support them. They all said no. They said they were always accepted and treated well there, and that there was even a noticeable amount of gay people working there as it was. CFA never discriminated against customers or denied service to anyone. So if they didn't mind, I didn't mind.

As the link above notes, CFA has changed their donating practices a bit. Which is a step in the right direction.

NOW, THE IMPORTANT PART...

That Popeye's sandwich is a GAME CHANGER. I'll always love CFA, but Popeye's really nailed it. It is exactly what I've always wanted a "fried chicken sandwich" to be. It is perfection. There is no contest.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Ok, I'm jumping in here with what I think (hope) most of yall will be surprised is a fairly balanced take. There is a lot of lingering bad PR for Chick-fil-a, which they brought on themselves. I'll touch on why that started, and what they've done about it since.

It isn't so much about their own Christian beliefs, but rather the use of their wealth to fund anti-LGBTQ groups, and using their "Christian beliefs" to justify it.

Additionally, and to your question, as an example of pushing propaganda, up until only a few years ago the location on Peachtree at Collier was decorated with posters advertising their "Family Camp". Which was actually a Christian Gay Conversion camp. The owners of CFA were also partially funding those camps. They also had pamphlets available in the location which detailed "signs to look for", if you thought you needed to send your kid to get the gay converted out of them. I know that wasn't the only location to have all that.

Chick-fil-a has since shifted a bit. They've taken down all the posters and distanced themselves from the conversion camps. And they've drastically changed where they are donating money. Although it still isn't perfect.

Here is a great article that provides a lot of detail on the subject: Link

So that is why you will often find people who have problems with CFA.

THAT ALL SAID...

When the controversy first hit back in 2011-12, I was working at a small startup where about 1/3 of the staff was gay or trans. There was a CFA right next door, and we all ate there pretty often. I remember asking the group if they wanted us to join the boycott, as we would happily support them. They all said no. They said they were always accepted and treated well there, and that there was even a noticeable amount of gay people working there as it was. CFA never discriminated against customers or denied service to anyone. So if they didn't mind, I didn't mind.

As the link above notes, CFA has changed their donating practices a bit. Which is a step in the right direction.

NOW, THE IMPORTANT PART...

That Popeye's sandwich is a GAME CHANGER. I'll always love CFA, but Popeye's really nailed it. It is exactly what I've always wanted a "fried chicken sandwich" to be. It is perfection. There is no contest.

I remember all that (EDIT: now). I think that’s more about bigotry than religion there IMO, but they did use religion as a tool in that misguided event. I’m not an expert on the details, but I remember thinking much less of them. Awful behavior, and if that hurt them, they deserved it. Still, people will vote with their feet and dollars, as your co-workers did. Cool of you to ask them how they felt about it. 

After a VERY BAD Popeye’s experience following a Clemson football game maybe 25 years ago, I may have put that memory far enough behind me to give them another shot. I doubt the wife is willing to forget. Not a lot of bathrooms on the backroads in rural SC. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

After a VERY BAD Popeye’s experience following a Clemson football game maybe 25 years ago, I may have put that memory far enough behind me to give them another shot. I doubt the wife is willing to forget. Not a lot of bathrooms on the backroads in rural SC. 

Actual video of @Augie below.

Jesus Poop GIF by South Park - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Haha (+1) 1

Never understood the mania for Chick-fil-a. They were big in florida when I lived there, but I most thought they tasted like microwaved chicken patties. Bland chicken, soggy buns. I just don't get it. I would far prefer Wendy's or even McDonalds crispy chicken sandwich to theirs. Never got to try the Popeye's sandwich, but their regular chicken is great.