Ryan Bates looked great at center against Panthers

Logic

I was watching the Panthers game again, and I thought Ryan Bates looked pretty damned good for a UDFA playing center in the NFL for the very first time, on a team he's been with for just a week.

It seemed like a throwaway trade, but maybe it wasn't. 

If you watch that game again any time soon, keep your eye on Bates once he comes in. And by all means, keep an eye on him against the Lions.

We may have something with this kid.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I noticed a few high snaps that can be very dangerous 

Indeed.  A few bad snaps. 

HOWEVER

One thing I forgot to mention in the OP: This was his first time EVER playing center in either the pros OR college. He took snaps at center at practice for Penn State, but never did it in a game.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

Indeed.  A few bad snaps. 

HOWEVER

One thing I forgot to mention in the OP: This was his first time EVER playing center in either the pros OR college. He took snaps at center at practice for Penn State, but never did it in a game.

Did he?  You sure he didn't give snaps at center?

11 minutes ago, bilzfancy said:

If he plays well in the next 2 games, he could be a candidate for the PS. He still needs to learn to make line calls and that won't happen in just a couple of weeks, from what I gather, Josh made the line calls Friday

He also plays G and T.  Emergency center in a pinch.  It will be interesting to see if he gets snaps elsewhere.  Uber versatility is a a big thing.  Assuming he and Long and Feliciano make it, and Bodine is cut, that gives us 4 guys along with Morse who can fill in at C.  If Bates could also be a 4th tackle or 5th guard in the process all the better.

• Like (+1) 3

Four star recruit. According to Crabb/Marino (Draft Network) he projects in the pros at centre (lacks the length to play OT and the bulk/strength to play OG). Jeremiah had him as a top UDFA. Some mocks had him going in the 4th (to Jags). Definitely looks like PS material, especially if he's to develop as a centre. Good trade for both teams. He for sure wasn't making the Iggles roster. Showed well in practice so maybe was headed to their PS.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Four star recruit. According to Crabb/Marino (Draft Network) he projects in the pros at centre (lacks the length to play OT and the bulk/strength to play OG). Jeremiah had him as a top UDFA. Some mocks had him going in the 4th (to Jags). Definitely looks like PS material, especially if he's to develop as a centre. Good trade for both teams. He for sure wasn't making the Iggles roster. Showed well in practice so maybe was headed to their PS.

He was a big Eagles fan that's why he signed there so I am guessing he ends up on Eagles PS.

52 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I’ve always been a Bates fan. Ever since freshman year at PSU. I said this last year in a thread about offensive line and was laughed at. I feel vindicated. Can never have enough horses in the barn. 

Your shouts about Bates still resonate.  What I remember most is what you said about his physicality and ability to play in a phone booth.

• Haha (+1) 1

He hasn't played center since his freshmen year of college.  I think he's allowed to have a few bad snaps.  BTW, Feliciano handled the line calls from the guard spot to help him out.  He hasn't had time to learn all the terminology for the Bills' line calls.

3 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

He also plays G and T.  Emergency center in a pinch.  It will be interesting to see if he gets snaps elsewhere.  Uber versatility is a a big thing.  Assuming he and Long and Feliciano make it, and Bodine is cut, that gives us 4 guys along with Morse who can fill in at C.  If Bates could also be a 4th tackle or 5th guard in the process all the better.

Never want to take bread out of anyone’s hand, but doesn’t that phrase just have a nice ring to it? Like a symbolic cutting of ties to the unmitigated freight train disaster that was the OL/Center position last year?

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BringBackFlutie said:

Did he?  You sure he didn't give snaps at center?

Really? ^

Is this the level of interaction that I should expect to see cluttering the board this season? 

A real "gotcha" moment... a real burn.

Edited by OJ Tom
  • Haha (+1) 1