Buffalo Bills UDFA center ready to ‘crush some skulls’ in bid for 53-man roster spot

5 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

For a guy that seemingly came in late as camp fodder he played well with the 2s in a preseason game that's a pretty good statement for him to make.

I’d say the FO may have done a terrific job here identifying another gem, but there is a certain crowd who would be hiding in the bushes to jump on that if the long shot didn’t pay off. It’s way too early, but I like good news! OLines across the league are full of guys who were once afterthoughts. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’d say the FO may have done a terrific job here identifying another gem, but there is a certain crowd who would be hiding in the bushes to jump on that if the long shot didn’t pay off. It’s way too early, but I like good news! OLines across the league are full of guys who were once afterthoughts. 

...Meatball (different regime but a 5th), Milano (5th), Neal (5th), Teller (5th), potentially Joseph (2019 5th).....seems like McBeane finds gold in them "late day rounds"......throw in his UDFA signings as well....this gang is GOOD IMO......

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...Meatball (different regime but a 5th), Milano (5th), Neal (5th), Teller (5th), potentially Joseph (2019 5th).....seems like McBeane finds gold in them "late day rounds"......throw in his UDFA signings as well....this gang is GOOD IMO......

I’ve heard somewhere (Cowherd maybe?) that HALF the players in the league were undrafted. I don’t know what the exact % is, but OL in particular has a lot of guys who seemingly came out of nowhere. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, gjv001 said:

I believe the Bills had their eye on Bates since the Draft. He will at least make the practice squad.

Not if another team wants him on the 53 man roster after seeing these performances...and im sure plenty of teams could use a talented backup center if this performance wasnt a flash in the pan...

Its a good problem to have that the Bills will likely need to cut some talented players who will be picked up by other teams...been a long time coming.

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’ve heard somewhere (Cowherd maybe?) that HALF the players in the league were undrafted. I don’t know what the exact % is, but OL in particular has a lot of guys who seemingly came out of nowhere. 

There are probably a high number because late round picks are typically athletic freaks teams take a flyer on who are either raw or have not been able to harness their althleticism on the football field, or simply are not very good at football due to lack of instincts, practice habits, effort, etc...a lot of these players don't make it.

This pushes solid football players who are not really great in any one area or who might be lacking certain things scouts want to see out of the draft and makes them priority UDFA's...

Edited by matter2003

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

I had just seen this last week from OTC about 2018 roster makeup.

68% thru draft with 32% UDFAs.

https://overthecap.com/2018-nfl-roster-construction/

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

Yeah, that makes sense because there are only 7 rounds. Each team brings in a bunch of undrafted guys each year.

The percentage of starters who were undrafted is much lower.

I think he might make the 53. He can play center and tackle. With Nsekhe/Morse hurting, he’s a guy that can fill in at either spot. Plenty of offensive linemen go undrafted or get drafted very only to become solid starters once their technique is refined for NFL play as opposed to college. 

My O-Line Right Now:

LT- Dawkins/Bates

LG- Spain/Teller

C- Morse

RG- Feliciano/Long

RT- Ford/Nsekhe

Probably would’ve been Waddle in Bates’ spot. But I believe they send Boettger to PS, and roll with these 9. 

If Morse and Nsekhe are still out, you could go with Dawkins-Spain-Feliciano-Long-Ford and still have Teller and Bates as your primary backups. Not a terrible position to be in. 

17 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I had just seen this last week from OTC about 2018 roster makeup.

68% thru draft with 32% UDFAs.

https://overthecap.com/2018-nfl-roster-construction/

I went digging and found there are more UDFA’ than first and second rounders combined. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/apbnse/allbright_there_are_more_undrafted_players_in_the/

But nowhere near Cowherd’s 50%, if this is accurate. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Augie said:

I believe Schefter put out a tweet around draft time that there were as many UDFAs on NFL rosters as there were 1st and 2nd round picks. It was an eye opener, but shows that the UDFAs have a real shot at making the 53. If they can perform, it’s cheap labor for the teams so it makes sense. 

52 minutes ago, Augie said:

At this time of year, sure.

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

Josh gave him propers in his presser today. We just might get very lucky again...?

Let us hope, because I’m a tad nervous about Morse. I don’t blame them for taking the swing, and hope for the best. But....this couldn’t have started out more ominously. Maybe with some time and work we have a long term answer.....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dkollidas said:

I think he might make the 53. He can play center and tackle. With Nsekhe/Morse hurting, he’s a guy that can fill in at either spot. Plenty of offensive linemen go undrafted or get drafted very only to become solid starters once their technique is refined for NFL play as opposed to college. 

My O-Line Right Now:

LT- Dawkins/Bates

LG- Spain/Teller

C- Morse

RG- Feliciano/Long

RT- Ford/Nsekhe

Probably would’ve been Waddle in Bates’ spot. But I believe they send Boettger to PS, and roll with these 9. 

If Morse and Nsekhe are still out, you could go with Dawkins-Spain-Feliciano-Long-Ford and still have Teller and Bates as your primary backups. Not a terrible position to be in. 

Been thinking about this, given Morse’s issues. I think they’re fine on the interior with the guys you list. I think they are better with Nsekhe at RT, so they do need a swing T.  Hopefully they will play Bates at both tackles in these next 2 games as an audition. 

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

I believe Schefter put out a tweet around draft time that there were as many UDFAs on NFL rosters as there were 1st and 2nd round picks. It was an eye opener, but shows that the UDFAs have a real shot at making the 53. If they can perform, it’s cheap labor for the teams so it makes sense. 

There are also only 64 top 2 round picks a year.

There are at least 200-250 UDFAs per year in camp. So the odds are in there favor, especially if you add it up over 5-10 years

The draft used to be 10-12 rounds and good football players haven't disappeared... The 8-12th rounders became priority UDFAs