What do you do if you are Cowboys GM?

I would trade Elliot to Buffalo for McCoy and a 1st(preferably a 2nd and 4th, but it will be a SUPER late first).  Some will be mad at first but then remember the Bills have a ton of cap space and when it comes time to extend Allen and Edmunds, Zeke will be off the books and the Bills will have a couple Lombardi’s... plus with this looming lockout talk, win now

Edited by Dr.Mantis_Toboggan

Take Jerry Jones money. Wait to be fired. Retire comfortably hoping that I screwed up bad enough to keep the Cowgirls down for at least 5 years. I loathe the Cowgirls almost as much as the Patsy's. 

I hope whatever decision they make is the wrong one.

Hey, at least the Cowboys have three very good young offensive skill position players (including QB) who merit a second contract.  A lot of teams can't say that.  It's a First World problem, even though Dak and Amari are probably not considered "elite" players at their positions. 

I would be inclined to trade Elliott if he doesn't report (because he probably has the greatest trade value and because he's a RB) and make Amari and Dak play this year under their current deals and see how it shakes out.  The Cowboys have most of the leverage here...they are the most visible franchise in the league, they play in a city where NFL players want to live, and they have a good team.  These guys don't really want to leave, or at least, they shouldn't.    

Edited by mannc

Maybe they take a page from their own history book and trade Zeke like they did Hershel Walker. granted they would not get the same type of return, but they could certainly get some premium draft picks for a player still on the rise.

2 hours ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

I would trade Elliot to Buffalo for McCoy and a 1st(preferably a 2nd and 4th, but it will be a SUPER late first).  Some will be mad at first but then remember the Bills have a ton of cap space and when it comes time to extend Allen and Edmunds, Zeke will be off the books and the Bills will have a couple Lombardi’s... plus with this looming lockout talk, win now

They'll be mad later as well.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Meh, it all worked out....

You didn't get it.

They just made the playoffs so I don’t think blowing it up is the answer. I’d sit all of them down and ask them how to make it work. If I absolutely had to send some of these guys packing it’d go like this.

1. Zeke has been suspended before so he would be the first to go. Good RBs are plentiful and Dallas has a good line. Trade for two 2nds.

2. Cooper is the guy I would extend first. Pay him top 12-15 money, lock him down long term.

3. After #1 and #2, I go to Dak and tell him, we got the best line in the NFL, we locked down your #1 receiver and we are loaded with high draft picks and we want to build around you. How bad do you want to win? If he still asks for $40m I’d tag him and trade him for even more picks.

4. If Dak proves to have no heart, you deal him for two 1st round picks. Trade for a decent veteran like Matt Barkley and mortgage the draft to take one of these promising young guns in 2020. Sign the best FA RB money can buy, draft one, ground and pound. (Doubt Dak says no to $30m, I bet money he re-signs)

I'd be trading Zeke for sure. He's already overpaid as is and is under contract for two more years. His holdout is ridiculous. I'd gladly move him for a Day 2 pick and would at least consider an early Day 3 pick if that's all I can get. Then again, I wouldn't have drafted him in the first place, but here we are.

I don't think I'd be comfortable paying Dak either; I'd tend to lean towards taking a chance on a draft pick rather than paying an average starting QB top 5 QB money.

Amari, I'd be fine with signing long-term even if his last couple years in Oakland give me a little pause. He was clearly a huge difference maker last season for Dallas.

That's a pretty good strategy.  I think you can get creative with Zeke.  4 year 80 mil ext 40 guaranteed.  Spread 35 over the next 2 years.  Most likely trade him in 2 years.  Basically a 2 year 40 mil deal for his prime than sell high.  They have no choice but to sign Dak.  But again front load it.  If you need to move on you can by trading Zeke and drafting a guy high.

The worst position an NFL team can be in, is being stuck with an average/mid-level Quarterback with a bloated contract. 

For example, see Miami/Ryan Tannehill, Cincinnati/Andy Dalton, etc.  Teams like this don't have the cap space to build a strong roster around their QB.  But at the same time, their QB is not good enough to win without a strong roster around them.  To make matters worse, they usually get stuck in a 5-8 win rut, and are always drafting too high to find a good replacement.

In today's NFL, it's also foolish to give big contracts to Running Backs.  Regardless of how talented they are.

The strongest offenses are generally those with efficient passing games, who use a RB-by-committee approach.

By the time an RB reaches his first Free Agent contract, he's usually 25-26 years old with 4-5 years of heavy usage/wear.  Very few will get through another contract with the same kind of production.

In my opinion, Dallas should try trading Elliott.  He will not be worth a second contract.  Let someone else deal with the headache.

If they can get anything for him, it will be a plus.  And hopefully they will be smart enough NOT to draft another RB in the Top 5.

With Prescott, I believe they should let him play out 2019 and see where he stands.  Right now, he's shown flashes.  But he's still too inconsistent.

Unfortunately (if you are a Dallas fan), this may turn into a "Kirk Cousins" situation - a guy who puts up really good Top 10 numbers on the stat sheet, but can just never pull the team onto his back when it counts.

Of course, I hate Dallas.  So I'm really hoping they do the opposite of everything I just said...

• Like (+1) 1

Zeke either waits or gets traded ASAP for a 1st. Wanna sit? Have fun playing for another team.

Dak? Please. Give him a reasonable contract and if he balks, SEE YA. He's not that good and he knows it, trying to cash in now.

Amari Cooper. PAY THE MAN. Gamechanger on the offense.

Zeke is like 12 years old, a couple of good seasons, you signed a contract, you either deal with it or GTFO. Simple as that.

Dak, better make the $ while you can because you're a perennial backup in this league at best.