What do you do if you are Cowboys GM?

I trade them all for 7th round picks and cut everyone on the O-line, but then I hate Dallas - so I want to see them fail.

In reality- Zeke is the engine, Dak is a good player with lots of help, Cooper is a low/mid level 1.  Zeke is the hardest to replace (at the easiest position to replace) - while Dak should be the easiest to replace ( at the hardest position) and Cooper is in the middle.

I would want to get Zeke get locked up first, then Dak, then Cooper, but based upon when their contracts are up - I understand going Dak, Cooper, then Zeke.

The only way I do anything with Cooper is if I get Dak done or a veteran replacement to make him worth it.

55 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

Blow it up and start over. They are in a brutal spot right now. You can not pay Dak whats he's asking for.

Yep. I’d trade Zack Martin to the Bills for a couple Day 3 picks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Bill Polian had a similar choice.  He was already paying Manning and had both Reggie Wayne and Edgerrin James due for contract extensions.  He chose Wayne because he respects the amount of time before a newly drafted receiver can develop into a highly productive player.  Great RBs reach that level right away if given the chance, ala James and Saquon Barkley  in their rookie years.   Thus, the RB can be replaced with more certainty

I mean... not a wrong strategy.  Drafted Addai and between him and Rhodes you got similar numbers to what James had the year before.  They also won the super bowl in 2006 the first year post James.

3 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

If I'm the GM I'd say "Bills should have drafted Dak when they had the chance."

They could have - had they not used their 4th round pick to move up for Ragland.  Dak probably would have been one of the top prospects had he been in that lousy EJ manuel draft so seeing him available in the 4th would have been smart to draft.  Don't worry - we got Cardale Jones 5 picks later...

Edited by dneveu

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I mean... not a wrong strategy.  Drafted Addai and between him and Rhodes you got similar numbers to what James had the year before.  They also won the super bowl in 2006 the first year post James.

Exactly.  Way to add to my point to make it stronger.   I'd maybe question why Cooper didn't show better in Oakland because they sure expected more from him but he seems to be what Dak needed.

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....sit back and watch Jurrah squirm....needs a 10 gallon "Hagman Hat" for effect.....

I thought if you were the GM of the Cowboys by default you would in fact be Jurrah... in which case the answer to “what would you do as GM” would probably be underage prostitutes. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm just gonna watch that train wreck as it happens.  I think Dallas is in a no win situation on all 3 players - Zeke, Dak, and Cooper.  I smell 3 bad contracts on the horizon.  Good for the players but bad for Dallas.  They'll be in cap jail in no time. ? 

• Like (+1) 1

I’d forfeit the entire season, urge jerry Jones to withdraw the team from the NFL and close it all down. No more Cowgirl fans, big win. 

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I would trade Zeke Elliott for 1st round pick. 

I would sign Dak to a 3yr deal top 5 money. He is not a top 5 QB but he is worth top 5 money for that team this year and next. If he doesn't take that deal then tag him for a year.

If Dak signs then I would tag Cooper for a year. I don't think Cooper is a star but he is a bonafide #1.

If neither Dak or Cooper can be signed, I let Cooper walk and play the FA signings such to get a 3rd round comp pick. They have enough talnet on that team that they do not need to sign a large number of free agents and should be easy to have a net loss of players.

They already have the o-line. Elliott is a great player but the one most easily replaced. Dak is an above average player but the hardest to replace. 

Dak isnt worth anything close to top 5 money without Zeke. Look at the numbers with and without Elliott. If i were the GM i would have serious questions about paying a QB that much money who needs a star RB to succeed.

Edited by matter2003