What do you do if you are Cowboys GM?

I would trade Zeke Elliott for 1st round pick. 

I would sign Dak to a 3yr deal top 5 money. He is not a top 5 QB but he is worth top 5 money for that team this year and next. If he doesn't take that deal then tag him for a year.

If Dak signs then I would tag Cooper for a year. I don't think Cooper is a star but he is a bonafide #1.

If neither Dak or Cooper can be signed, I let Cooper walk and play the FA signings such to get a 3rd round comp pick. They have enough talnet on that team that they do not need to sign a large number of free agents and should be easy to have a net loss of players.

They already have the o-line. Elliott is a great player but the one most easily replaced. Dak is an above average player but the hardest to replace. 

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I would trade Zeke Elliott for 1st round pick. 

I would sign Dak to a 3yr deal top 5 money. He is not a top 5 QB but he is worth top 5 money for that team this year and next. If he doesn't take that deal then tag him for a year.

If Dak signs then I would tag Cooper for a year. I don't think Cooper is a star but he is a bonafide #1.

If neither Dak or Cooper can be signed, I let Cooper walk and play the FA signings such to get a 3rd round comp pick. They have enough talnet on that team that they do not need to sign a large number of free agents and should be easy to have a net loss of players.

They already have the o-line. Elliott is a great player but the one most easily replaced. Dak is an above average player but the hardest to replace. 

Enough talent for what?

Even with Dak/Zeke/Cooper (or Dez Bryant)/great O-line they can't get past the div playoff game.

Jones already offered all 3 top 5 money.

Edited by Mr. WEO

They have to re-sign Dak, Amari Cooper, and Jaylon Smith by next offseason. They only have one Franchise tag to use. They have to get at least two of the three signed if they want to keep all 3. Zeke is under contract for two more years. That's the business. I know he feels he's outplayed his deal, but so has Barkley and Kamara. If someone throws you a good trade package then you take it and let them pay out the bum for the guy. 

8 minutes ago, H2o said:

They have to re-sign Dak, Amari Cooper, and Jaylon Smith by next offseason. They only have one Franchise tag to use. They have to get at least two of the three signed if they want to keep all 3. Zeke is under contract for two more years. That's the business. I know he feels he's outplayed his deal, but so has Barkley and Kamara. If someone throws you a good trade package then you take it and let them pay out the bum for the guy. 

Not sure you have to pay Jaylon, he is a restricted free agent.  If they are smart they will tender him at the 1st round level.

Agree on Zeke, you make him wait.  If he wont play I'd send him packing for a 1st, which they will get.   He is a great player, but is also a huge headache and not worth 20 million dollars.

You pay Dak, and Amari and trade Zeke.  

• Like (+1) 1

The Cowboys Offense is built to run. If I don't sign Zeke I have to find an RB that commands enough respect to help Zak. If I can't find that RB, then I work it out with Zeke, because I believe we can go to the Big Show with this team.

Zeke is quickly approaching 'not worth the headache' status;  no way I'd give him huge, long-term money.  Also, given his running style and workload, his production is going to fall off a cliff before he's 30.  Run him for two more years and let him go.  If he doesn't want to play, let him quit football.

I'd sign Cooper and Smith and franchise Dak.  It's not like it's going to cost much more given his currently outrageous demands.   See if you luck into a QB in the draft the next couple years.

• Like (+1) 1

Bill Polian had a similar choice.  He was already paying Manning and had both Reggie Wayne and Edgerrin James due for contract extensions.  He chose Wayne because he respects the amount of time before a newly drafted receiver can develop into a highly productive player.  Great RBs reach that level right away if given the chance, ala James and Saquon Barkley  in their rookie years.   Thus, the RB can be replaced with more certainty

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Zeke is a huge part of that offense.

I'd make sure I kept him.  And I'd get rid of Garrett yesterday.

Sign zeke to the highest RB salary in history (won’t be that much). Trade zeke if I can or keep him for the year and let him walk. Not even worth the franchise tag. I might do it just cause other people are stupid and someone might want to trade for him and then I get multiple picks. Cooper isn’t that good and he’s expendable. Same thing as Dak. Offer him decent money but no where near what he’s asking. If he doesn’t like it... there’s the door