80 Years Old, I'm Surprised He Made It This Far (Update: Ginger Baker Dead at 80)

T&C

17 minutes ago, T&C said:

I don't know Row, Ginger did what the guy asked... I didn't find it bad at all.

agreed, but it was embarrassing, even as a lousy drummer myself....  :D

Clapton with carefully placed dart burning away and a Gibson was so much better.....

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Clapton with carefully placed dart burning away and a Gibson was so much better.....

Is there a Jack Bruce interview in the same vein or no, I haven't looked.

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

I was a terrible kid drummer (but a respectable piano player, at the time). But I was shocked how good Ginger's interview really was. For him to go through some of those basic rudiments must have been a bit of torture. Credit to the interviewer who kept pushing him. But rudiments aren't meant to entertain on their own (as I'm sure you know).  Other than being seriously stoned, this may be one of Baker's best interviews---at least among those I've seen.

• T&C changed the title to 80 Years Old, I'm Surprised He Made It This Far (Update: Ginger Baker Dead at 80)
6 minutes ago, T&C said:

A nice example of how he wasn't just Cream/Blind Faith/Graham Bond etc... this mofo was one of the very best:

I've been mulling this, and I really think Ginger's drumming may have been one big factor in the development of my musical tastes.  While I tend more toward jazz, standards, blues, I do also listen to a lot of "rock". But examining the rock bands I really like, most of them have some sort of underlying jazz groove going on. Even some you necessarily wouldn't associate with jazz. Early Blue Oyster Cult had a lot of jazzier stuff going on. Santana, Zappa, Little Feat, Steely Dan, Traffic and Cream, etc. I think I owe more to Ginger than I initially thought.

• Like (+1) 1