Quinton Spain

6 hours ago, r henderson said:

I just finished watching the Bills Carolina game and saw something very alarming. This is a one game observation, but Spain was getting beat on every single snap. The only way they were able to by time is with the play action. Maybe he's hurt, but his play was under whelming on that night. Constant pressure on every pla while showing very slow foot work. Comments please.  

This is Fake News. I watched every play too,  watching multiple times. He did not get beat every play or anything close to that. His holding call was on a run to the right away from the ball carrier and is something you see every play. Let me guess you want Wyatt Teller? This is very Trump like to spin a false narrative to people who didn’t see the game. Kinda sad ? 

5 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Hyperbole is the death of the message board. 

During the Flutie/RJ days some joker made some arguments of grandeur on YE OLE... so naturally YE OLE had to call him out on it. This fellow responds with “Ever hear of hyperbole man?”

So YE OLE tells this whipper snapper “No... is that Batman’s cousin?” And that’s the rest of the story right there, gents!

Edited by Cotton Fitzsimmons
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't know the OP but if he thought this was the kind of message board where you could turn up, post something that is proveably false with a bit of simple rewatching of the game, and not get called on it then he picked the wrong place. 

It is one of the best things about this place. The majority of the posters know their stuff and don't just spout nonsense. 

30 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

This is Fake News. I watched every play too,  watching multiple times. He did not get beat every play or anything close to that. His holding call was on a run to the right away from the ball carrier and is something you see every play. Let me guess you want Wyatt Teller? This is very Trump like to spin a false narrative to people who didn’t see the game. Kinda sad ? 

The first part of your post is correct.  Until you got to Teller.  He had a very good game, and held up better against the same guys than Spain.

5 hours ago, Logic said:

Oops … guess he wasn't beaten on very play.  In fact, the second video shows some quality pass blocking against a very good DT.  If the coaches (And, they are the ones who actually know everything that is going on with the team.) had any doubts about his ability to play LG don't you think that they would have experimented just a little bit during these last few weeks?  Instead the left side has been a constant and that frankly has nothing to do with Morse' situation because Long or Feliciano or Teller could have been plugged in to see how they might make the left side better.  Thanks for the video clips … we always seem to be looking for the guy to beat up on with hyperboles. 

7 hours ago, aristocrat said:

he was going up against Short who might be the best d tackle in the league.  

Uh, I think Aaron Donald has something to say about that...

27 minutes ago, shoretalk said:

Oops … guess he wasn't beaten on very play.  In fact, the second video shows some quality pass blocking against a very good DT.  If the coaches (And, they are the ones who actually know everything that is going on with the team.) had any doubts about his ability to play LG don't you think that they would have experimented just a little bit during these last few weeks?  Instead the left side has been a constant and that frankly has nothing to do with Morse' situation because Long or Feliciano or Teller could have been plugged in to see how they might make the left side better.  Thanks for the video clips … we always seem to be looking for the guy to beat up on with hyperboles. 

Spain practiced at RG todsy while Long moved to LG

Cover 1 has a nice article about the O line in the Carolina game. Goes against this original premise.

1 hour ago, GG said:

The first part of your post is correct.  Until you got to Teller.  He had a very good game, and held up better against the same guys than Spain.

My point was that this original statement about Spain was so outrageous there had to be a reason. Teller is a fan favorite. He’s having a good camp. I was not trying to throw shade on Teller but of the original statement.

5 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

Cover 1 has a nice article about the O line in the Carolina game. Goes against this original premise.

My point was that this original statement about Spain was so outrageous there had to be a reason. Teller is a fan favorite. He’s having a good camp. I was not trying to throw shade on Teller but of the original statement.

Misunderstood the post.  Thought you implied that Teller didn't play well.  He was good on Friday. 

Went back and took a second look at Spain' play with my Tivo focusing on him

Spain won a lot more of those battles then he lost.....he had the one play where he got shoved out of the way and a defender got past him to get McCoy in the backfield

But other then that.....against a good Panther's DL....Spain was solid....and he will get out in front of a screen and actually try to hit somebody

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Logic said:

He was not getting beat on every single snap. He was beat a couple of times by Kawaan Short, who is one of the best in the business. Short gets paid, too.

The book on Spain has already been written: He's an above average run blocker and an average pass blocker. Everything we've seen thus far in camp and preseason backs up this notion. 

There's a reason he's been basically the unquestioned starter at left guard since camp opened. He clearly brings stability and skill that the coaching staff likes. Notice that with all the mixing and matching they have done on the o-line "to find the best five guys", Spain has pretty much been a constant.

He'll be fine.

I feel like this whole thing is based on one awkward play where Short disengaged and took a perfect angle at Allen. Spain was fine IMO. Allen had a CLEAN pocket on the overwhelming majority of his dropbacks, so I'm not exactly sure how the OP surmised that Spain was consistently getting beat. 

48 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I feel like this whole thing is based on one awkward play where Short disengaged and took a perfect angle at Allen. Spain was fine IMO. Allen had a CLEAN pocket on the overwhelming majority of his dropbacks, so I'm not exactly sure how the OP surmised that Spain was consistently getting beat. 

The easy answer is that some people are not that smart to realize that just because you get beat once, or even a few times that you're not terrible. Some people fail to realize that this league has almost 1,700 players in it and forget that other players can be really good too. Or some people just have expectations that a player on their team has to be the best ever no matter what in order to be effective.  

This line is lightyears ahead of where they were last year. And that’s without Morse right now. 

Relax people, everything will be fine. 

Edited by mrags
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I got a feeling Spain will provide average play this year ( I will happily take that over last year’s efforts..)

He  is getting paid $2mil this year .. not much more than what Ducasse was getting  so would suggest expectations be a little bit real.. 

You can’t have a superstar in every position right and our OL superstar is Morse ... (ouch)

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Went back and took a second look at Spain' play with my Tivo focusing on him

Spain won a lot more of those battles then he lost.....he had the one play where he got shoved out of the way and a defender got past him to get McCoy in the backfield

But other then that.....against a good Panther's DL....Spain was solid....and he will get out in front of a screen and actually try to hit somebody

Watch it again. That wasn't his guy it was Dawkins's. 

19 hours ago, r henderson said:

I just finished watching the Bills Carolina game and saw something very alarming. This is a one game observation, but Spain was getting beat on every single snap. The only way they were able to by time is with the play action. Maybe he's hurt, but his play was under whelming on that night. Constant pressure on every pla while showing very slow foot work. Comments please.  

Oh No! Should we bring back Ducasse, what were these coaches thinking ????