Quinton Spain

5 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Sounds like on OBL - they tried flipping Long and Spain at guard today.

Dawkins, Long, Feliciano, Spain, Ford

Interesting - with Tye out - will be interesting to see what happens as people get healthy.

Think that is more to do with trying to solidify the right side. There was more pressure coming from over there. 

2 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

I personally would like to see Feliciano move to LG when Morse is healthy. He looks pretty tough.  Dawkins/Feliciano/Morse/Ford/Nsehke

I for one could live with that group, I as well am certain that the coaching staff is very aware of their new O lines performance on every play, and will make adjustments as needed.

Go Bills!!!

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Think that is more to do with trying to solidify the right side. There was more pressure coming from over there. 

I like Feliciano a lot. When Morse comes back (yes when, not if) I hope Feliciano is the starter at RG. Yes, Nsekhe looks decent and having Feliciano at RG means pushing Ford to RT and Nsekhe out of the starting lineup, but I've been more impressed with Feliciano.

So it would be: Dawkins - Spain - Morse - Feliciano - Ford

Edited by MJS

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Could very well be - just interesting that this is really the first time since OTA’s Spain has been moved from #1 Left Guard.

It would not shock me if they are trying to help Ford out - just a change that was noted.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, MJS said:

His hands are inside Short's frame. Looks like excellent blocking to me. Refs will only call that if the defender tries to disengage but can't. Towards the end of the play Spain has his arm on Short's side, but there's no indication of holding. You can push on the outside of a defender's frame as long as you aren't holding. If Short would have attempted to turn back to the right and Spain kept his arm on the outside and hooked him, that could have been called, but that didn't happen.

All in all that looks like excellent blocking on that particular play.

Yep and to me. That was the play I referenced to Beasley over the middle. 3rd play of the 2nd drive. That is an outstanding job against an elite player. 

It wasn't Spain's best game. Even I as a big advocate of his said that in my good night / bad night thread. But having now watched back all 17 offensive plays for which he was out there he only had 3 negative ones despite being matched against an elite player for the most part. Now 3 in 17 is still too many and he would say himself I am sure that he can play better. But by all reports he had a very good camp, he played very well against the Colts he had a mixed night against Carolina. Anyone panicking at this point needs to majorly chill out. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Logic said:

Getting beaten one-on-one by Kawaan Short is gonna happen. It just is. Short is a top 10 DT in the NFL. I don't know what people think happens in the trenches, but you win some reps and you lose some reps. No one -- not even perennial All-Pro guards -- ever wins every single rep against defensive linemen. 

Spain is the least of my concerns when it comes to the Bills o-line.

I agree that o-lineman aren't perfect especially going against someone as talented as Short.  I was just surmising what op was thinking.  Regardless of it happening to everyone that was not a good look for Spain.  He was tossed like a small child lol!  It wasn't every play but I doubt Spain was happy with his performance in that game.

12 minutes ago, MJS said:

His hands are inside Short's frame. Looks like excellent blocking to me. Refs will only call that if the defender tries to disengage but can't. Towards the end of the play Spain has his arm on Short's side, but there's no indication of holding. You can push on the outside of a defender's frame as long as you aren't holding. If Short would have attempted to turn back to the right and Spain kept his arm on the outside and hooked him, that could have been called, but that didn't happen.

All in all that looks like excellent blocking on that particular play.

The 2 bolded are what I thought I saw.  When he tried to shove him Spain had his right arm hooked around and went for the ride.  Not a big deal just thought it was a weird play to highlight since it looked like holding to me.  He got the job done though and didn't get flagged so no matter what my eyes thought they saw it was a good block

3 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

I personally would like to see Feliciano move to LG when Morse is healthy. He looks pretty tough.  Dawkins/Feliciano/Morse/Ford/Nsehke

I think may end up being the line.  Seems like the 5 best lineman and lineup.  I hope this is the case.

There will likely  be some tinkering, changing during the year.

i suspect the starting 5 will be dawkins, spain, morse, ford, ty.  some flex around ty being healthy, and long/feliciano maybe stepping in for ford/spain, but i think for opening day it is more likely that ford sees the bench than spain, as they would groom ford up for tackle and one of the other two is likely a better guard at this point.

also, if a tackle goes down, ford will be filling in one of those spots, while lg to rg we have 4 or 5 guys we can roll with.

nice posts in this thread gunner.

3 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Maybe the Redskins will just give us Trent for an old sandwich.

Beef on weck with 5 wings

i really don’t pay attention to the oline unless it’s truly that bad.  They looked solid as a whole.  Was he really that bad?  He definitely is beefy. 

4 hours ago, r henderson said:

I just finished watching the Bills Carolina game and saw something very alarming. This is a one game observation, but Spain was getting beat on every single snap. The only way they were able to by time is with the play action. Maybe he's hurt, but his play was under whelming on that night. Constant pressure on every pla while showing very slow foot work. Comments please.  

I think a lot of folks in here just knew that Spain came from the Titans---starting so many games for an organization that's had more recent on-field success than the Bills---and likely convinced themselves that Spain was really solid because he was so trusted in protecting their "franchise QB".

I'm surprised at how Spain seems to be regarded a shoo-in at LG; I thought from the jump that he was being brought in to compete for a spot (RG specifically), but would ultimately serve as O-line depth if retained.

I'm really surprised that Spencer Long doesn't even seem to be in the mix for the LG position, because he's who I thought would solidify the left side of the line playing alongside Dawkins.

13 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

I think a lot of folks in here just knew that Spain came from the Titans---starting so many games for an organization that's had more recent on-field success than the Bills---and likely convinced themselves that Spain was really solid because he was so trusted in protecting their "franchise QB".

I'm surprised at how Spain seems to be regarded a shoo-in at LG; I thought from the jump that he was being brought in to compete for a spot (RG specifically), but would ultimately serve as O-line depth if retained.

I'm really surprised that Spencer Long doesn't even seem to be in the mix for the LG position, because he's who I thought would solidify the left side of the line playing alongside Dawkins.

Nope. I watched a lot of Spain in Tennessee and think he is really good. 

7 minutes ago, vincec said:

A couple of weeks ago I was reading how he was a "stud" in camp. Now he is "getting beat on every play." The winds of change are fickle.

He got beat twice and had one hold. Wasn't his best game but beat on every play is a major exaggeration 

24 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Beef on weck with 5 wings

i really don’t pay attention to the oline unless it’s truly that bad.  They looked solid as a whole.  Was he really that bad?  He definitely is beefy. 

I only quickly watched the condensed version of the game and tbh I was only partially paying attention. It’s preseason so as long as there are no major injuries I don’t care too much.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, jav said:

Shaq Lawson for Trent Williams. Redskins may get desperate. Then slide Dawkins to LG and Spain to bench to battle Teller for backup duties.

The Redskins D line is loaded.  What they need is offensive linemen.  So it ain't gonna happen.  Dan Snyder is not real swift but even he wouldn't do that.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

On Spain:

I have just watched the first drive back and the sack by Short is his only negative play. There was a play where Dawkins got completely blown up and Shady was hit behind the line and a then a play where Shady concerts a third and short where Spain pulls and then I think hits the wrong guy but still creates enough of a hole for Shady to get the first down. On this drive he works against Kawann Short for the most part and Kyle Love on a couple of plays. Spain is particularly effective at re-directing Short's rush angles keeping him wide and on the wide receiver screen to Beasley does a really nice job of getting up quickly to the second level to make the play. On the play he gets beat he overbalances slightly and against Short that is bad news and he is able to swat aside and make the play. 

Onto the second drive now but I have already ascertained the OP was talking out of a certain part of his anatomy. 

So just for reference here.....

Did ppl think that Cog and Eric Wood didnt have negative plays?   Of COURSE they did.

There are other very good players in the league these guys are going against......they are going to lose a battle here and there.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Nope. I watched a lot of Spain in Tennessee and think he is really good. 

He got beat twice and had one hold. Wasn't his best game but beat on every play is a major exaggeration 

Spain just doesn't strike me as very imposing for his size; I'd like to see Long get his shot at LG.