Quinton Spain

43 minutes ago, r henderson said:

I just finished watching the Bills Carolina game and saw something very alarming. This is a one game observation, but Spain was getting beat on every single snap. The only way they were able to by time is with the play action. Maybe he's hurt, but his play was under whelming on that night. Constant pressure on every pla while showing very slow foot work. Comments please.  

You might want to watch again because this is false

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Not at the table Karlos said:

You might want to watch again because this is false

I have to say I was surprised by the OP because I was trying to watch the line and I thought he was moving people on most snaps. But I will all22 tonight and revert further.

47 minutes ago, r henderson said:

I just finished watching the Bills Carolina game and saw something very alarming. This is a one game observation, but Spain was getting beat on every single snap. The only way they were able to by time is with the play action. Maybe he's hurt, but his play was under whelming on that night. Constant pressure on every pla while showing very slow foot work. Comments please.  

I thought he looked terrible- bad footwork and slow as molasses. He was getting beat routinely- its a problem

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have to say I was surprised by the OP because I was trying to watch the line and I thought he was moving people on most snaps. But I will all22 tonight and revert further.

I didn't think you can see All-22 for preseason?

32 minutes ago, jav said:

Shaq Lawson for Trent Williams. Redskins may get desperate. Then slide Dawkins to LG and Spain to bench to battle Teller for backup duties.

Yeah, because the skins want Shaq Lawson as a one year rental

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't agree he got beat every snap. He did get beaten badly by Short but otherwise I thought he was fine. I will go and watch the all22 though.

I'm not concerned at this stage.

This seems like the correct and reasonable position.  Maybe change your name to LogicGunnerBill.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

There seems to be a lot of "when Morse gets back all will be well" comments Gunner.

I am usually more the rose-colored-glasses guy, but I have my doubts Morse will be able to stay healthy for the full season once he does get back.

I know he is going to give it another go, and I really, really want him to be able to play and avoid another concussion because I think he loves the game and is a very tough competitor, but playing on the line is like being in a car crash over and over. Talk about your helmet to helmet hits, they happen on every play if you play in the trenches. I just don't see a long term situation where Morse does not have a recurrence of another concussion this season.

Feliciano may end up being our starter for most of the season - just setting expectations. No one wants to see a player damaged for life.

4 minutes ago, WideNine said:

There seems to be a lot of "when Morse gets back all will be well" comments Gunner.

I am usually more the rose-colored-glasses guy, but I have my doubts Morse will be able to stay healthy for the full season once he does get back.

I know he is going to give it another go, and I really, really want him to be able to play and avoid another concussion because I think he loves the game and is a very tough competitor, but playing on the line is like being in a car crash over and over. Talk about your helmet to helmet hits, they happen on every play if you play in the trenches. I just don't see a long term situation where Morse does not have a recurrence of another concussion this season.

Feliciano may end up being our starter for most of the season - just setting expectations. No one wants to see a player damaged for life.

I agree Morse could well be done. 

On Spain:

I have just watched the first drive back and the sack by Short is his only negative play. There was a play where Dawkins got completely blown up and Shady was hit behind the line and a then a play where Shady concerts a third and short where Spain pulls and then I think hits the wrong guy but still creates enough of a hole for Shady to get the first down. On this drive he works against Kawann Short for the most part and Kyle Love on a couple of plays. Spain is particularly effective at re-directing Short's rush angles keeping him wide and on the wide receiver screen to Beasley does a really nice job of getting up quickly to the second level to make the play. On the play he gets beat he overbalances slightly and against Short that is bad news and he is able to swat aside and make the play. 

Onto the second drive now but I have already ascertained the OP was talking out of a certain part of his anatomy. 

• Like (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, Logic said:

The play where he gets tossed is a really bad look.  Short is very good but Spain was manhandled which you don't expect to see happen to a 300+ pounder.  How strong is Short!?!?!  This probably colored op's opinion as they showed the replay and in slow motion it looks even worse.

As for the second tweet, am I crazy or did he hold him when he tried again.  Spain has Short hooked pretty good so he can't be thrown and got away with it so it is a positive but I don't know that I would be crowing about how he adjusted.

Sounds like on OBL - they tried flipping Long and Spain at guard today.

Dawkins, Long, Feliciano, Spain, Ford

Interesting - with Tye out - will be interesting to see what happens as people get healthy.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, section122 said:

The play where he gets tossed is a really bad look.  Short is very good but Spain was manhandled which you don't expect to see happen to a 300+ pounder.  How strong is Short!?!?!  This probably colored op's opinion as they showed the replay and in slow motion it looks even worse.

As for the second tweet, am I crazy or did he hold him when he tried again.  Spain has Short hooked pretty good so he can't be thrown and got away with it so it is a positive but I don't know that I would be crowing about how he adjusted.

Getting beaten one-on-one by Kawaan Short is gonna happen. It just is. Short is a top 10 DT in the NFL. I don't know what people think happens in the trenches, but you win some reps and you lose some reps. No one -- not even perennial All-Pro guards -- ever wins every single rep against defensive linemen. 

Spain is the least of my concerns when it comes to the Bills o-line.

On the second drive Spain starts with two rough plays. He gets beat again by Short who uses the redirection technique Spain has been deploying really well against him by setting off wider and beating Spain for pure speed. Josh does a nice job of getting the ball out to his back for a short gain. Then Spain holds Short on the next play when he tries to disrupt a backside run with early penetration. However, the third play of the drive Spain does an outstanding job against another well timed Short bull rush and delivers the key block to give Josh time to find Beasley over the middle. Then he easily swats away Love on the following play as Josh gets it to Sweeney at the 4. On the run sequence at the goalline he wins on both plays. First diverting a rusher and then getting to the second level and winning against the defender as Shady gets stopped just short before a well executed cut block on the TD run itself

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, section122 said:

His hands are inside Short's frame. Looks like excellent blocking to me. Refs will only call that if the defender tries to disengage but can't. Towards the end of the play Spain has his arm on Short's side, but there's no indication of holding. You can push on the outside of a defender's frame as long as you aren't holding. If Short would have attempted to turn back to the right and Spain kept his arm on the outside and hooked him, that could have been called, but that didn't happen.

All in all that looks like excellent blocking on that particular play.

• Thank you (+1) 1