Quinton Spain

I just finished watching the Bills Carolina game and saw something very alarming. This is a one game observation, but Spain was getting beat on every single snap. The only way they were able to by time is with the play action. Maybe he's hurt, but his play was under whelming on that night. Constant pressure on every pla while showing very slow foot work. Comments please.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

He has been much better in run blocking than pass protection IMHO. Maybe he is hurt or maybe hasn't grasped the O line schemes. You have to remember outside of Dawkins this is a complete overhaul with players that haven't played as a unit up until now. Spain has looked bad, allowing way to much pressure.

• Thank you (+1) 1

He is also the only starter taking holding penalties.  Maybe he'll settle when Morse gets healthy and the Bills get some stability at center, but they do have Teller in reserve.  Teller is more athletic and plenty strong.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, billsbackto81 said:

He has been much better in run blocking than pass protection IMHO. Maybe he is hurt or maybe hasn't grasped the O line schemes. You have to remember outside of Dawkins this is a complete overhaul with players that haven't played as a unit up until now. Spain has looked bad, allowing way to much pressure.

That's his specialty, is run blocking.  Has been a consistently very good Run blocker , and very mediocre at pass blocking . Morse , for starters will make the whole line better when he's back week 1. I think Big will likely just sit him til week 1. But ya , Spain is a weakness at pass blocking but like someone said had a Great DT in Kaiwan Short . 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, r henderson said:

I just finished watching the Bills Carolina game and saw something very alarming. This is a one game observation, but Spain was getting beat on every single snap. The only way they were able to by time is with the play action. Maybe he's hurt, but his play was under whelming on that night. Constant pressure on every pla while showing very slow foot work. Comments please.  

Thanks for the heads up.  I am planning on rewatching at least the starters and Allen’s portion of the game.  I’ll watch him. 

1 minute ago, BillsRdue said:

I personally would like to see Feliciano move to LG when Morse is healthy. He looks pretty tough.  Dawkins/Feliciano/Morse/Ford/Nsehke

This looks like the best five on the field to me.

When we signed Spain in free agency, I checked out the Titans board to see their response.  They weren't really sad to see Spain go.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, jav said:

Shaq Lawson for Trent Williams. Redskins may get desperate. Then slide Dawkins to LG and Spain to bench to battle Teller for backup duties.

Maybe the Redskins will just give us Trent for an old sandwich.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

I personally would like to see Feliciano move to LG when Morse is healthy. He looks pretty tough.  Dawkins/Feliciano/Morse/Ford/Nsehke

Agree with this. The trickle down after Morse gets back should bump him to the bench. I’ve been really impressed with Feliciano.

• Like (+1) 1

He was not getting beat on every single snap. He was beat a couple of times by Kawaan Short, who is one of the best in the business. Short gets paid, too.

The book on Spain has already been written: He's an above average run blocker and an average pass blocker. Everything we've seen thus far in camp and preseason backs up this notion. 

There's a reason he's been basically the unquestioned starter at left guard since camp opened. He clearly brings stability and skill that the coaching staff likes. Notice that with all the mixing and matching they have done on the o-line "to find the best five guys", Spain has pretty much been a constant.

He'll be fine.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1