Power Rankings: The 100 best teams in pro football history

Just Jack

It's a click through site, so here's where the Bills teams ranked...

94. 1964 Buffalo Bills

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/power-rankings-the-100-best-teams-in-pro-football-history/ss-AAFMpTL?ocid=spartanntp#image=8

These Bills led the league in offense and defense. They won their first nine games of the season and finished 12-2. The championship victory was 20-7 over the Chargers, a game that saw Buffalo rush for more than 200 yards.

71. 1991 Buffalo Bills

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/power-rankings-the-100-best-teams-in-pro-football-history/ss-AAFMpTL?ocid=spartanntp#image=31

Jim Kelly was 13-2 as starter for Buffalo while throwing for 3,844 yards and 33 touchdowns. The Bills beat the Chiefs and Broncos to gain the Super Bowl, where they were defeated by Washington, 37-24, one of four consecutive defeats in the title game.

34. 1990 Buffalo Bills

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/power-rankings-the-100-best-teams-in-pro-football-history/ss-AAFMpTL?ocid=spartanntp#image=68

The closest Buffalo came to winning a Super Bowl, as Scott Norwood's miss kept it 20-19, Giants.

#1 is the 1972 Dolphins team, thankfully. I was worried it would be a Pats* team.

To start at the beginning of the list, click below

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/power-rankings-the-100-best-teams-in-pro-football-history/ss-AAFMpTL?ocid=spartanntp#image=1

Edited by Just Jack

9 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

that sounds about right.  I’d probably rank the ‘90 Bills a little higher, but not much.

I thought it was weird that the 90 giants were ranked higher, while acknowledging that them beating the Bills was an upset.  

IMO, the 90 Bills should be ranked ahead of the Giants, who probably shouldnt be on that list TBH.  They were the 3rd best team in the NFL that season.

34th is a nice slot for a non-SB winning team though and a nice honor.

• Like (+1) 3

I think the 1964 Bills are ranked too low at #94. This was arguably the strongest AFL team during the entire 10-year AFL history, yet they're only ranked here as the 7th best AFL team. Moreover, this team was arguably the second most important to the AFL-NFL merger aside from the 1968 Jets.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Just Jack said:

#1 is the 1972 Dolphins team, thankfully.

I take 'Things I never thought I'd hear on TSW' for $400, Alex.

(but I agree)

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I thought it was weird that the 90 giants were ranked higher, while acknowledging that them beating the Bills was an upset.

They won.   They didn't have the flash on offense but they were a rock solid team.

• Haha (+1) 1

Sometimes the better/best teams don't win. Bills vs Giants in SBXXV is a prime example, yet the '90 Giants are ranked higher on this list. The '90 Bills are commonly regarded as one of the best assembled teams ever, and the '90 Giants have never been part of that conversation. Given the source (MSN), I'm not at all surprised. 

There's a difference between being "best" and being "greatest". Greatness is generally measured by championships. Brady may be the greatest (championships), but everyone knows he's not the best ever, and far from it. 

Perhaps the title of the article is misleading. If Norwood makes that kick, (barring some Music City Miracle/Screw Job type play on the ensuing kickoff) the '90 Bills are ranked near the top of the list.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, MichaelAbdallah said:

I think the 1964 Bills are ranked too low at #94. This was arguably the strongest AFL team during the entire 10-year AFL history, yet they're only ranked here as the 7th best AFL team. Moreover, this team was arguably the second most important to the AFL-NFL merger aside from the 1968 Jets.

I agree that team was great. I think they were more important than the 68 Jets. What set things in motion for the merger was the Giants signing Pete Gogolak, before that the two leagues didn’t go after each other’s players.

11 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

you can thank the scrappy Giants for Pats not being #1

I hate the Pats as much as the next guy but they did go 16-0 in the regular season.  Two more games than the Dolphins.

• Like (+1) 1

you can thank the scrappy Giants for Pats not being #1

Any Tom Brady team would have been crushed be pre-salary cap/free agency SB participant.

How many HOFs on Bradys best team.  How many HOFs on the '92 Bills and Cowboys.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

2 hours ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

Sometimes the better/best teams don't win. Bills vs Giants in SBXXV is a prime example, yet the '90 Giants are ranked higher on this list. The '90 Bills are commonly regarded as one of the best assembled teams ever, and the '90 Giants have never been part of that conversation. Given the source (MSN), I'm not at all surprised. 

There's a difference between being "best" and being "greatest". Greatness is generally measured by championships. Brady may be the greatest (championships), but everyone knows he's not the best ever, and far from it. 

Perhaps the title of the article is misleading. If Norwood makes that kick, (barring some Music City Miracle/Screw Job type play on the ensuing kickoff) the '90 Bills are ranked near the top of the list.

Most people dont know that Brady is not the best ever.  I dont think they get how FA and the CAP as well as rule changes have effected the game.

8 hours ago, The Plastic Cup said:

I take 'Things I never thought I'd hear on TSW' for $400, Alex.

(but I agree)

They won.   They didn't have the flash on offense but they were a rock solid team.

Belicheat was on their staff. (just sayin)

12 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Any Tom Brady team would have been crushed be pre-salary cap/free agency SB participant.

How many HOFs on Bradys best team.  How many HOFs on the '92 Bills and Cowboys.

Hm Brady, Randy Moss, Welker, Matt Light, Mankins, Wilfork, Vrabel, Bruschi, Rodney Harrison, Gostkowski .. 10?? Good lord. 

That's why I always liked that Giants team, made plenty of HOFers that season too. Went toe to toe vs the Patriots in a meaningless late regular season game and should have handed them their first lost. Went to the SB knowing they could beat them. Boss move.

On 8/19/2019 at 9:32 AM, Just Jack said:

It's a click through site, so here's where the Bills teams ranked...

94. 1964 Buffalo Bills

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/power-rankings-the-100-best-teams-in-pro-football-history/ss-AAFMpTL?ocid=spartanntp#image=8

These Bills led the league in offense and defense. They won their first nine games of the season and finished 12-2. The championship victory was 20-7 over the Chargers, a game that saw Buffalo rush for more than 200 yards.

71. 1991 Buffalo Bills

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/power-rankings-the-100-best-teams-in-pro-football-history/ss-AAFMpTL?ocid=spartanntp#image=31

Jim Kelly was 13-2 as starter for Buffalo while throwing for 3,844 yards and 33 touchdowns. The Bills beat the Chiefs and Broncos to gain the Super Bowl, where they were defeated by Washington, 37-24, one of four consecutive defeats in the title game.

34. 1990 Buffalo Bills

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/power-rankings-the-100-best-teams-in-pro-football-history/ss-AAFMpTL?ocid=spartanntp#image=68

The closest Buffalo came to winning a Super Bowl, as Scott Norwood's miss kept it 20-19, Giants.

#1 is the 1972 Dolphins team, thankfully. I was worried it would be a Pats* team.

To start at the beginning of the list, click below

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/power-rankings-the-100-best-teams-in-pro-football-history/ss-AAFMpTL?ocid=spartanntp#image=1

72 Fish didn't play a single playoff team in the regular season, enough with this farce.

Hm Brady, Randy Moss, Welker, Matt Light, Mankins, Wilfork, Vrabel, Bruschi, Rodney Harrison, Gostkowski .. 10?? Good lord. 

That's why I always liked that Giants team, made plenty of HOFers that season too. Went toe to toe vs the Patriots in a meaningless late regular season game and should have handed them their first lost. Went to the SB knowing they could beat them. Boss move.

Brady, Moss, Harrison  Thats 3

Maybe Mankins and Wilfork and Welker.

You should probably look over a list of players not in the hall

Lofton- 14000+, 75TDs

Reed- 13000+, 87TDs

In a run first league

Moss- 15000+, 156TDs

These 3 are HOF #s

Welker- 9900+, 50TDs

These meh.

In a pass happy league where the rules are catered to the passing offense.

As I was saying, some people just dont know football.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

19 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Brady, Moss, Harrison  Thats 3

Maybe Mankins and Wilfork and Welker.

You should probably look over a list of players not in the hall

Lofton- 14000+, 75TDs

Reed- 13000+, 87TDs

In a run first league

Moss- 15000+, 156TDs

These 3 are HOF #s

Welker- 9900+, 50TDs

These meh.

In a pass happy league where the rules are catered to the passing offense.

As I was saying, some people just dont know football.

Those SBs go a long way in the resume though. I guess Gostkowski makes it. I'd have thought Wilfork would be in but he's probably been on a few ballots by now.

Idk are you saying they shouldn't be ranked that high? Cause they were playing in a league of their own that year. HOFers or not. 

Strahan and Eli from the Giants are the only sure HOFers I can think of.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

4 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Those SBs go a long way in the resume though. I guess Gostkowski makes it. I'd have thought Wilfork would be in but he's probably been on a few ballots by now.

Idk are you saying they shouldn't be ranked that high? Cause they were playing in a league of their own that year. HOFers or not. 

Strahan and Eli from the Giants are the only sure HOFers I can think of.

What Im saying is they would get destroyed by those Cowboys and Bills teams.

6 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

What Im saying is they would get destroyed by those Cowboys and Bills teams.

You’re definitely right there. Pats had talent on defense, but their offensive talent level was borderline horrendous for their first 3 super bowls. The Bills teams of 10 years earlier would have thrashed those Pats teams.

• Like (+1) 1