Why did yuppies put lime in Corona's?

a lot of off the wall threads .... so I'll contribute 

at the time of this new trend (shortly after TBH) I had traveled to Mexico and South America.  and not one bar I frequented put a piece of fruit in my beer.   

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Not sure if it's a yuppie thing.

In my opinion, Corona tastes like a skunk's ass and people probably put lime in it to make it drinkable.

A slice of orange seems to be the norm when people order a Blue Moon.  Whenever I get one, I tell them to hold the orange.  Fruit and beer don't go well together for me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

In my opinion, Corona tastes like a skunk's ass and people probably put lime in it to make it drinkable.

A slice of orange seems to be the norm when people order a Blue Moon.  Whenever I get one, I tell them to hold the orange.  Fruit and beer don't go well together for me.

IIRC  it started to happen in the mid 80's ....  said era was the beginning of Yuppie. 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

I recall it started to happen in the mid 80's ....  IIRC an era I think was the Yuppie era. 

I think it was/is a trendy drink.

I stick by my theory that people put lime in it to make it taste less like a skunk's ass.  But, yeah .... I'm sure a lot of people drank/drink it so they "look cool," even though they think it tastes like crap.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don't like Blue Moon because it's orange peels.  I love wheats but not one from orange peels.

If I have to drink Blue Moon, I put a slice of lemon because an orange is overkill to me.

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think it was/is a trendy drink.

I stick by my theory that people put lime in it to make it taste less like a skunk's ass.  But, yeah .... I'm sure a lot of people drank/drink it so they "look cool," even though they think it tastes like crap.

That's why I put it in.  Coronoa by itself is isn't drinkable...Corona  with a lime or if it's 100 degrees out and you're just really thirsty is the only way I drink it.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

a lot of off the wall threads .... so I'll contribute 

at the time of this new trend (shortly after TBH) I had traveled to Mexico and South America.  and not one bar I frequented put a piece of fruit in my beer.   

Because the bar was out of...never mind, want to keep my warning points at zero. Go to youtube and search on restaurant scene in beer league, here what the waitress says to the third guy that orders. Freakin' hilarious.

As for me, just stay away from any beer that is best served with or has the name of fruit in it. Double whammy on Corona since it comes in a clear bottle.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

i do the exact same thing with blue moon.  i'm also with you on corona.  it's just meh.  in fact, all mexican beers lack something to be desired.  

Just now, teef said:

i do the exact same thing with blue moon.  i'm also with you on corona.  it's just meh.  in fact, all mexican beers lack something to be desired.  

Dos Equis is alright.  I do enjoy Modelo Negra Especial. 

If Corona was the only beer available, I'd switch to water, instead.  I just will not drink it.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, teef said:

Maybe in America.   

Not in Mexico (City),  or maybe that was because at 8000 feet you get drunker faster / easier in the thin air 

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

May I ask how you know what a skunk’s ass tastes like? Can you keep this family friendly? 

I’m guessing alcohol was involved! 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Maybe in America.   

Not in Mexico (City),  or maybe that was because at 8000 feet you get drunker faster / easier in the thin air 

i was actually at a resort in mexico when i was turned off to it.  i wanted mixed drinks, but that place watered them down to the point where you couldn't tie one on.  i just switched to beers to make sure i was actually consuming alcohol.  after a week of that, i can't stomach mexican beers anymore.  i'm not offish to them...i'll still drink corona.  i just don't prefer them.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Is this a troll thread ?     Who drinks a corona without a lime ?     

Not a fan as modelo especial tastes infinitely better (with a lime as well). 

Real men

33 minutes ago, teef said:

i was actually at a resort in mexico when i was turned off to it.  i wanted mixed drinks, but that place watered them down to the point where you couldn't tie one on.  i just switched to beers to make sure i was actually consuming alcohol.  after a week of that, i can't stomach mexican beers anymore.  i'm not offish to them...i'll still drink corona.  i just don't prefer them.

I was in Nairobi in the early 80s and their beer litterally tasted like you were drinking from a 10 year old sneaker.

So at dinner(s) I tried ordering a Tequila (response) huh?  Tequila , huh?   Never mind, give me a double shot of Vodka and Ice tea.

They brought me a glass of Iced Tea and a double shot of Vodka.  that was my go to for 3 weeks