Good Night / Bad Night - Pre-season Game 2

GunnerBill

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Has this been clarified? It isn't my reading of the rules.... but then again it is a little ambiguous.

There was a thread on this Gunner and it looks like if he is cut he would have to clear waivers to be placed on the PS.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2019/8/18/20810950/clarifying-the-buffalo-bills-roster-status-with-running-back-christian-wade

7 hours ago, mrags said:

He Doesn’t have to clear waivers to be the 11th. If they want him for one of the 10, it holds true 

Lol.  Not laughing at you.  

Its just that there are so many contradictions in this allocation it funny 

? 

I’m with you BTW.  I tried to repeat what was directed at me. 

No more damn it.  I’m sticking to my guns from now on. 

9 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Lol.  Not laughing at you.  

Its just that there are so many contradictions in this allocation it funny 

?

I’m with you BTW.  I tried to repeat what was directed at me. 

No more damn it.  I’m sticking to my guns from now on. 

Well if "Rumblings" is correctly quoting the Bills Communication office then:

"Wade CAN make the initial 53-man roster outright according to the Buffalo Bills’ communications department. If he is released by the Bills during their roster cutdown, he can be claimed by another team and placed on their 53-man active roster.

If he passes through waivers, Buffalo gets that extra spot on their practice squad where he will stay all season. They can use that 11th spot for free but he can’t be called up to the active roster. They can also choose to place him on the regular practice squad, costing them one of their ten spots. If he’s on the 10-man roster, he can be signed by other teams or the Bills to the active roster.

What’s more unclear is if he makes an NFL team’s 53-man roster, what would happen if he is released during the season. He’d likely find a home on a practice squad somewhere but no one seems to know if he would still be eligible for the Bills to add to their practice squad at the later point with the exemption."

But yeah, there are a lot of versions of this truth. 

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, mrags said:

Pretty much this. If this IS true and he can be picked up by another team through waivers, he would have to be on their 53 and that just doesn’t seem like it’s happening. PS, sure, I bet a dozen or so teams would want him on their PS but that cannot happen. IF the rule is true and he can only sign with another team or he’s on our PS I expect him to be on our PS. Maybe, just maybe, there’s a team out there with a RB... OR Holdout... that would want to sign him. 

Dallas

LA

or anyone else that gets an injury late in preseason. 

No Kroft?

Smith ain’t making this roster. Period. 

Kroft is on the PUP list, so unless they activate him in the next 2 weeks, he doesn't count against the 53 until after week 6.

In the meantime, I expect the team to keep 4 TEs just as they did last year: Knox, Croom, Sweeney, and Smith.

What will be the most interesting is what they do when Kroft is healthy enough to come off the PUP list.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Kroft is on the PUP list, so unless they activate him in the next 2 weeks, he doesn't count against the 53 until after week 6.

In the meantime, I expect the team to keep 4 TEs just as they did last year: Knox, Croom, Sweeney, and Smith.

What will be the most interesting is what they do when Kroft is healthy enough to come off the PUP list.

I admit I haven’t kept up on krofts injury but I expect him to be back with the team come roster cut down day. 

23 hours ago, GG said:

Looking at Spain vs Teller against the same opponents showed that Teller had a better night.  Spain did look a bit out of shape on the pulling plays.  Teller was explosive on those.

I think we did a good job bringing Spain in as he’s a decent guard, but I’d love to see Teller make the next step and take over.  Spain is so big, fat and slow it’s mind boggling.  

I think the TE's will be Sweeney, Knox and Smith, with Kroft to PUP and Croom cut.  That will allow them to keep an extra WR (Duke, a small TE ;) ).

And Bates looked good.  I think he's the backup C.

Gonna be tough cuts at LB and CB.

11 hours ago, Doc said:

I think the TE's will be Sweeney, Knox and Smith, with Kroft to PUP and Croom cut.  That will allow them to keep an extra WR (Duke, a small TE ;) ).

And Bates looked good.  I think he's the backup C.

Gonna be tough cuts at LB and CB.

I think there's a zero percent chance that Feliciano isn't the backup center and active every game day.

I think Bates has a very good shot at the 53 because of his positional flexibility, and if Ford ends up starting at RG with Nsekhe at RT (which I expect), then McDermott will almost certainly want an active game day reserve that can play OT without having to shuffle his line around.

19 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I think there's a zero percent chance that Feliciano isn't the backup center and active every game day.

I think Bates has a very good shot at the 53 because of his positional flexibility, and if Ford ends up starting at RG with Nsekhe at RT (which I expect), then McDermott will almost certainly want an active game day reserve that can play OT without having to shuffle his line around.

Bates may not be the backup C.  I was more saying I expect him to make the team.  I think they keep Dawkins, Spain, Morse, Feliciano, Ford, Nsekhe, Teller, Long and Bates. 

14 minutes ago, Doc said:

Bates may not be the backup C.  I was more saying I expect him to make the team.  I think they keep Dawkins, Spain, Morse, Feliciano, Ford, Nsekhe, Teller, Long and Bates. 

It’s possible but that leaves no true backup T at all. Sure Ford can play it but he’s not ready, as is case with Bates. 

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

It’s possible but that leaves no true backup T at all. Sure Ford can play it but he’s not ready, as is case with Bates. 

I just don't see any T worth keeping over Teller or Bates.  If they have to play Ford or Bates at T, so be it.

6 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

I just don't see any T worth keeping over Teller or Bates.  If they have to play Ford or Bates at T, so be it.

I think the possibility of Bates playing OT would be for the remainder of a game in the case of an injury so as not to upset the OL apple cart.

In the case that Dawkins or Nsekhe misses a start, I'd fully expect Ford to kick out to OT the following week with Feliciano coming in at RG.

Bates probably does make the 53 because he's so valuable as a game day backup.  Even though it's rare, you have to think about what happens if you lose 2 OLmen to injury in the same game.

Lose an OT and an interior guy: Bates comes in at OT and Feliciano at interior

Lose 2 interior guys: Bates and Feliciano can play the interior

Lose 2 OTs: Bates comes in at LT, Ford goes to RT, and Feliciano goes in at RG

They don't have another OLman that can offer them that type of versatility.

Edited by thebandit27
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I think the possibility of Bates playing OT would be for the remainder of a game in the case of an injury so as not to upset the OL apple cart.

In the case that Dawkins or Nsekhe misses a start, I'd fully expect Ford to kick out to OT the following week with Feliciano coming in at RG.

Yeah, playing Ford (assuming he's not the starting RT) or Bates at OT would be for the remainder of a game.  If they needed to get a longer-term solution after that, Wesley would probably still be available to sign. 

Is Foster still running with the 2nd team?

I understand (especially in the preseason) training Josh to take what's available short.  But IMO if we have any chance to be any sort of dynamic offense, it's going to come from having Brown and Foster both on the field, stretching the D and allowing Josh to take some chances on making plays downfield.

On 8/20/2019 at 10:16 AM, mrags said:

I admit I haven’t kept up on krofts injury but I expect him to be back with the team come roster cut down day. 

if he's healthy, then yeah, that makes sense...it's my understanding that he's not close to returning.

Another thought on the TE discussion: Lee Smith is probably the team's backup long snapper.  I know that sounds like a trivial matter, but McDermott is a stickler for being prepared to account for injuries.

10 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Bates probably does make the 53 because he's so valuable as a game day backup.  Even though it's rare, you have to think about what happens if you lose 2 OLmen to injury in the same game.

Lose an OT and an interior guy: Bates comes in at OT and Feliciano at interior

Lose 2 interior guys: Bates and Feliciano can play the interior

Lose 2 OTs: Bates comes in at LT, Ford goes to RT, and Feliciano goes in at RG

They don't have another OLman that can offer them that type of versatility.

They would have to have a load of confidence in Bates. They may. He played well last game and there are few players that can play all five positions. But he needs to be decent more than versatile.