Good Night / Bad Night - Pre-season Game 2

GunnerBill

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

if he's healthy, then yeah, that makes sense...it's my understanding that he's not close to returning.

Another thought on the TE discussion: Lee Smith is probably the team's backup long snapper.  I know that sounds like a trivial matter, but McDermott is a stickler for being prepared to account for injuries.

Lee smith is not making the team. Other than the topic of how He’s helping train Sweeney and Knox at the expense of making himself indispensable, I haven’t heard his name all summer. He won’t be here. 

Just now, mrags said:

Lee smith is not making the team. Other than the topic of how He’s helping train Sweeney and Knox at the expense of making himself indispensable, I haven’t heard his name all summer. He won’t be here. 

I think you're dead wrong about this. Daboll was so desperate for a pure blocking TE last year he used Dawkins and Sirles in the role. Then this offseason they're connected with multiple blockers, sign Jake Fisher, then pounce on Smith immediately when he becomes available. There is clearly a role for him in this offense, it's just not a flashy role that's going to grab headlines over the summer.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mrags said:

There is a much, much greater chance he will. McD loves him. He's not supposed to be catching many passes. 

12 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

OT and Punter are the only positions I could see them poaching another team's cut. OT depth is just lacking. Ford's development has gone a little more slowly than they'd originally hoped and Waddle was supposed to be the failsafe

I expect them to do what they did last year and sign a punter a week or so prior to the start of the season.  This time it will probably be an experienced guy.

4 minutes ago, mrags said:

Lee Smith is a lock.  They know what he can do.

13 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

I think you're dead wrong about this. Daboll was so desperate for a pure blocking TE last year he used Dawkins and Sirles in the role. Then this offseason they're connected with multiple blockers, sign Jake Fisher, then pounce on Smith immediately when he becomes available. There is clearly a role for him in this offense, it's just not a flashy role that's going to grab headlines over the summer.

They signed Fisher but also signed Kroft, and drafted 2 in Sweeney and Knox. Sweeney is light years ahead of what they thought he would be at this point. He won’t be here. If he is, the only way that’s possible is that Krofts injury is far worse than we imagined. And Croom is back now too. They love Croom too 

15 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

There is a much, much greater chance he will. McD loves him. He's not supposed to be catching many passes. 

He won’t be here. Etch it in stone. 

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

I expect them to do what they did last year and sign a punter a week or so prior to the start of the season.  This time it will probably be an experienced guy.

Lee Smith is a lock.  They know what he can do.

Nothing good?

8 minutes ago, mrags said:

They signed Fisher but also signed Kroft, and drafted 2 in Sweeney and Knox. Sweeney is light years ahead of what they thought he would be at this point. He won’t be here. If he is, the only way that’s possible is that Krofts injury is far worse than we imagined. And Croom is back now too. They love Croom too 

Nothing good?

You're ignoring the blocking element. Knox and Croom are redundant, you do not need two of them, and no, they do not love Croom. Kroft and Sweeney can block decently, although Sweeney is a complete unknown at an NFL level in real games as of now. Croom stinks at it. Knox is not ready either. Kroft is not likely to be ready to start the season. That leaves no known blockers, something that Daboll and McD desperately want and they signed him to a three year deal for 9m after they had already signed Kroft and drafted Knox and Sweeney.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, mrags said:

Nothing good?

You're off here, mrags. 

Lee Smith will make the team.

While Knox and Sweeney offer route running and catching prowess, thus making Croom's skillset redundant, no one on the team offers Smith's blocking prowess. They also want his veteran leadership around their two youngsters for the next year.

And do you want to know the REAL reason that he's definitely making the team? They're paying him $4.4million guaranteed.

Smith makes the team.

9 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

You're ignoring the blocking element. Knox and Croom are redundant, you do not need two of them, and no, they do not love Croom. Kroft and Sweeney can block decently, although Sweeney is a complete unknown at an NFL level in real games as of now. Croom stinks at it. Knox is not ready either. Kroft is not likely to be ready to start the season. That leaves no known blockers, something that Daboll and McD desperately want and they signed him to a three year deal for 9m after they had already signed Kroft and drafted Knox and Sweeney.

I’ll stick to it. Unless Kroft isn’t close to ready, Smith isn’t on this team. We’ll find out soon enough. 

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

You're off here, mrags. 

Lee Smith will make the team.

While Knox and Sweeney offer route running and catching prowess, thus making Croom's skillset redundant, no one on the team offers Smith's blocking prowess. They also want his veteran leadership around their two youngsters for the next year.

And do you want to know the REAL reason that he's definitely making the team? They're paying him $4.4million guaranteed.

Smith makes the team.

I’ll stick to my opinion for now. Like I said, we’ll find out soon enough. 

Which Bills rookie is among PFF’s top-10 offensive rookies to date? Offensive lineman Ryan Bates.

Bates was added to the roster via trade on August 9. Buffalo sent defensive end Eli Harold to the Philadelphia Eagles in exchange for the versatile lineman. To date, Bates’ play has graded out well on the analytics site.

Here is what PFF said about Bates:

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mrags said:

I subscribe to neither this, nor the cut Pat DiMarco points of view.

The NFL is not flag football. Along with the John Browns, Cole Beasleys and Shady McCoys of the world, we need people who can knock the bad guys on their backsides. Smith and DiMarco are two of the best at the unglamorous side of football so that others can shine.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 10:46 AM, mrags said:

In the active lineup today