Sully is optimistic; we're f***ed...

eball

4 minutes ago, teef said:

says the guy who goes incredibly far out of his way to call out optimism.  we all have opinions and are allowed to have/express them, but you're just as bad as the people you're describing.  

Some people need to find the cloud in every silver lining

Allen has a great preseason performance and they bend over backwards to point out every reason why it doesn't mean anything. Those are Jerry's #1 fans.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Allen has a great preseason performance and they bend over backwards to point out every reason why it doesn't mean anything.

absolutely.  i get the pessimism.  it would be hard not to understand it, but there are a few that every time an up beat thought is expressed, they make it their job to tell someone why they're being foolish.  even then that's fine, but what i just don't get is how some of these same posters act like they're the ones who aren't allowed to express themselves openly.  there's nothing worse than the martyr defense.

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Allen has a great preseason performance and they bend over backwards to point out every reason why it doesn't mean anything. Those are Jerry's #1 fans.

Jerry is the hero of the negative nincompoops on this site.  Just wait -- they'll turn on him too.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So what's this excuse?

Show me the actual article not just  somebody’s recollection of one and I’ll say that yeah, that’s ridiculous. It’s not like I’m going to back every opinion Sully has ever had (unlike the fans who disagree with everything he says.) 

But holding the team and management accountable over the past 20 seasons when they’ve been horrible is why most people

hate Sully and he’s been eight way more than the faction of the fan base who always wants to put a positive spin on things.

Bills’ fan’s reactions to Sully (I won’t click on his articles!) is a prime example of a population that buries it’s head in the sand when people give them information that they don’t like or want to acknowledge.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

There is a difference between giving analysis why something isn't going to work and just always saying you suck.

You are correct. The Bills and Sabres have a bad history of mismanagement. If you cover these teams and can see why things aren't going to work out, that's reporting based on your experience.

But if the only response to every hire, signing or draft pick pick is suck, suck, suck, you're just being negative. Bringing up what regimes did under Ralph has no bearing on what the Pegulas do.

But I get it. Some people just want to wallow in misery.

If a writer who has a history of being negative covering long term dismal franchises expresses some optimism then that should be a good sign that the fortunes of the football team have changed. It's easy to find gushing homers that everything is beautiful and just fine. You don't take notice when those co-opted observers spout the company line. But when someone who has a history of having an overly critical eye exhibits a positive view why wouldn't you be ecstatic for that optimism instead of critical of the writer?

Sully has been critical of Wilson. He deserved the criticism. And Sully has been critical of how the new owner/s first operated.  They deserved the criticism. Now when they have made the right decisions regarding their hires and how they have run the operation he has seemed to give them credit for where they have positioned this franchise. So why be critical of the writer when he is belatedly being optimistic?  

Edited by JohnC
edit
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MDH said:

But holding the team and management accountable over the past 20 seasons when they’ve been horrible is why most people

hate Sully

Nope.   Sully's an opportunistic prick who'll blow one way and then go the opposite at the drop of a hat, never owning his prior position or saying he was wrong (humm... that describes a shite load of TSW posters, come to think of it--no wonder he has such a fan base).

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

If Josh Allen looks like this in the regular season they should be in for a pretty exciting season. 

Well, it may very well have frozen over...?

Go Bills!!!

I don't mind Sully. The pessimism is okay when so many other fans and media outlets are full of optimism. But his writing style annoys me sometimes. He tends to use very short sentences. Like this. And like the last one. It can sometimes be jarring. But maybe that's just me.

Maybe not.

33 minutes ago, MDH said:

Show me the actual article not just  somebody’s recollection of one and I’ll say that yeah, that’s ridiculous. It’s not like I’m going to back every opinion Sully has ever had (unlike the fans who disagree with everything he says.) 

hate Sully and he’s been eight way more than the faction of the fan base who always wants to put a positive spin on things.

Bills’ fan’s reactions to Sully (I won’t click on his articles!) is a prime example of a population that buries it’s head in the sand when people give them information that they don’t like or want to acknowledge.

Larry Felser used to hold Ralph and the Bills accountable. But when he did it it meant something because Larry knew a lot about the team he covered intimately. He also wasn't kneejerk negative or contradict himself with his criticisms.

Jerry Sullivan is no Larry Felser.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Jerry Sullivan is no Larry Felser.

You’ll have no argument from me there. 

Im not a fan or Sully, I just don’t hate him either.

I was a fan of Felser.

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So since Sully said nice things about the Bills, we like him now?

VillainousAccomplishedGander-size_restri

Nope, he’s still a prick. Kind of  the point. ?

3 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Efail, that panty wedgie is really inhibiting your attempts at humor.  I'd laugh but you're not funny.

Efail — hahahahaha, stop it, I can’t even hit the right keys on my keyboard I’m laughing so hard. 

Wait, a wedgie joke also? Like I’m a nerd in high school? Stop it, you scamp!

You’re right, I’m terrible at humor and you’ve got it nailed. 

Edited by eball
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, MDH said:

When you’ve been covering the Bills for the past 20 years it does.

Except he has not been making effort to cover them for 20 years reusing some columns just using new names (sometimes).

I am surprised that the group of posters who always support this point of view have not opened a fund me account for him.

8 hours ago, SWATeam said:

I'm not going to get too worked up until @ScottLaw jumps on the bandwagon.  Then ***** gets real!  

Are you saying Sully >>>> @ScottLaw  because ? >>> Sully.

9 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Thanks for not clicking on it.   I won't either.   It's the only way to make that old dog with fleas and rabies finally wander off for good.

Jerry is type who when fleas bite they die.

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

For 17 plus years we've sucked and he called us out. Now we're going to get all superstitious because he sees the same optimism most of us do. Hilarious!

No but it does say that i Sully sees it then maybe it isnt koolaid given he usually is the opposite of a homer.