Sully is optimistic; we're f***ed...

eball

One Jerry article I remember referred to JK as a "bumpkin that throws footballs" and Shane Conlan as an average LB.  It had some negative stuff about other players as well.  There might be something valuable about someone who can find the negative in every situation but I can't think of what it  might be right now.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

5 hours ago, eball said:

Did I just see a Sully article linked on the front page of TBD?  Of course I won't click on it, but the "preview" seems to suggest Sully thinks this team is "different" and will take a big step forward.

We're screwed.

Been there, felt that, for many seasons.

2 hours ago, MDH said:

When you’ve been covering the Bills for the past 20 years it does.

36 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

One Jerry article I remember referred to JK as a "bumpkin that throws footballs" and Shane Conlan as an average LB.  It had some negative stuff about other players as well.  There might be something valuable about someone who can find the negative in every situation but I can't think of what it  might be right now.

So what's this excuse?

4 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

He has never been optimistic before so how are we screwed?

I don't recall hearing much about him back in the 1985 to 1995 era, was he covering the Bills then, was he negative then?  Not really certain there were even newspapers and reporters in the BI era. (before internet)  And if you go back another 10 years to the before cable era, was there even electricity back then?

• Haha (+1) 1

I remember him back in the BN days referencing some dude at the local watering hole (can’t remember his name) for his “man on the street” type take on how things were going periodically, and during the magic Fitzy run he was optimistic more so than not, IIRC. But yes, normally a negative nellie, so this is out of character for sure. 

6 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

His negativity is usually accurate.  That is probably why we dislike him.  So maybe his optomism will be as well.

For 17 plus years we've sucked and he called us out. Now we're going to get all superstitious because he sees the same optimism most of us do. Hilarious!

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, eball said:

Did I just see a Sully article linked on the front page of TBD?  Of course I won't click on it, but the "preview" seems to suggest Sully thinks this team is "different" and will take a big step forward.

We're screwed.

Does this mean people can boycott Sal Capaccio's never-ending sunshine reports because he's a massive team homer?  I don't understand how fans who cannot bear a contrary opinion will immediately resort to ripping Jerry and eschew the guy's opinion.  Even I will listen to Sal whether I disagree with him or not.

4 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

He has been negative, but frankly, that was the appropriate mind-frame with this organization.

Just now they seem to be turning the corner into being a relevant NFL team for the first time in this millennium.  

I can be a little more optimistic given that A) McBeane prioritized finding a top QB prospect and B) they seem to have a plan.  Whether this is enough remains the question, whereas the path their predecessors chose was sure to fail. 

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yes he's been wrong. Because being an endless pessimist doesn't make you right. 

If you are a pessimist when your team has been bad for a decade and longer then your pessimism is warranted. Or another way of saying it is that you are right with your negative commentary. The Sabres and the Bills have for a long time not only been bad but mismanaged. He often stated that obvious fact. Some people are uncomfortable with facing that reality.

The owners have installed two competent regimes to run their franchises. Neither one went for the quick fix that would get them little beyond mediocrity. I'm optimistic about both franchises. (Although my hockey friends believe that I have a mental health issue.)  Eventually, the hockey team will get it turned around and I will without malice sneer back at them. 

22 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Does this mean people can boycott Sal Capaccio's never-ending sunshine reports because he's a massive team homer?  I don't understand how fans who cannot bear a contrary opinion will immediately resort to ripping Jerry and eschew the guy's opinion.  Even I will listen to Sal whether I disagree with him or not.

Lighten up, Francis...the thread was an obvious joke, but I realize by now you have no sense of humor.  I don't listen to or read Sully and haven't in years because he's just a miserable prick.  But you know what?  I don't listen to ANY local Buffalo radio shows because I hate on-air homerism just as much as I hate overly exuberant pessimism.  I read the Buffalo News articles because I think Vic is a well-connected guy and he isn't always looking for the pessimistic angle.  I read The Athletic for the same reason.  I just want balance.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

? when was the last time the Bills were 10-2?

Have you ever been the one guy in the room who doesn't get the joke?

Yes, I bet you have.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, eball said:

Lighten up, Francis...the thread was an obvious joke, but I realize by now you have no sense of humor.  I don't listen to or read Sully and haven't in years because he's just a miserable prick.  But you know what?  I don't listen to ANY local Buffalo radio shows because I hate on-air homerism just as much as I hate overly exuberant pessimism.  I read the Buffalo News articles because I think Vic is a well-connected guy and he isn't always looking for the pessimistic angle.  I read The Athletic for the same reason.  I just want balance.

Pot meet kettle.  Here you are starting a thread about Sullivan, yet allegedly have the guy on full-mute?  Irony?  Coincidence?  I think not.  You loathe the man and don't miss an opportunity to bash him.  The guy is a lightning rod sometimes, but people here take it to extremes.  It's almost like you're not satisfied he's still in media after leaving the BN. 

And then, as if on cue, you fall back and claim it was all a weak attempt at humor.  Sorry, not buying it, because your reputation precedes itself.

Some of you are so desperate to attack anyone who doesn't share your opinion it's hard to ignore.  There is no semblance of debate, nor any attempt to do just that.  It's just "I hate that guy for not being as big a fan as I am." 

As a result, I contend these attacks on those who espouse a perceived negative opinion is based on some closely connecting much if not all one's identity with this team.  Despite it being entertainment, some fans cannot separate the two and the lashing out commences. 

36 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If you are a pessimist when your team has been bad for a decade and longer then your pessimism is warranted. Or another way of saying it is that you are right with your negative commentary. The Sabres and the Bills have for a long time not only been bad but mismanaged. He often stated that obvious fact. Some people are uncomfortable with facing that reality.

The owners have installed two competent regimes to run their franchises. Neither one went for the quick fix that would get them little beyond mediocrity. I'm optimistic about both franchises. (Although my hockey friends believe that I have a mental health issue.)  Eventually, the hockey team will get it turned around and I will without malice sneer back at them. 

There is a difference between giving analysis why something isn't going to work and just always saying you suck.

You are correct. The Bills and Sabres have a bad history of mismanagement. If you cover these teams and can see why things aren't going to work out, that's reporting based on your experience.

But if the only response to every hire, signing or draft pick pick is suck, suck, suck, you're just being negative. Bringing up what regimes did under Ralph has no bearing on what the Pegulas do.

But I get it. Some people just want to wallow in misery. 

1 minute ago, BillsVet said:

Pot meet kettle.  Here you are starting a thread about Sullivan, yet allegedly have the guy on full-mute?  Irony?  Coincidence?  I think not.  You loathe the man and don't miss an opportunity to bash him.  The guy is a lightning rod sometimes, but people here take it to extremes.  It's almost like you're not satisfied he's still in media after leaving the BN. 

And then, as if on cue, you fall back and claim it was all a weak attempt at humor.  Sorry, not buying it, because your reputation precedes itself.

Some of you are so desperate to attack anyone who doesn't share your opinion it's hard to ignore.  There is no semblance of debate, nor any attempt to do just that.  It's just "I hate that guy for not being as big a fan as I am." 

As a result, I contend these attacks on those who espouse a perceived negative opinion is based on some closely connecting much if not all one's identity with this team.  Despite it being entertainment, some fans cannot separate the two and the lashing out commences. 

says the guy who goes incredibly far out of his way to call out optimism.  we all have opinions and are allowed to have/express them, but you're just as bad as the people you're describing.  

• Like (+1) 1