Who could we realistically trade Zay or Shady for?

rayray808

2 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I've watched him play football. I'm not impressed. If not for his draft status I think he might be gone already.

Dude had 56 catches and 7tds in his 2nd year in the league, with a quarter of that season having Peterman and Anderson at QB.  Edit: Also doesnt include pre-injury Josh who was not nearly as good as post injury Josh

Edited by Bray Wyatt

14 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Its just a lack of critical thinking. Its easier to rely on the narrative than think for yourself. 

He ranked 61st in receiving yards last season.  There are some TEs and RBs ahead of him so that improves his position a bit.  He’s serviceable, yes.  The Bills should not trade him because they don’t have that good of a WR corps and he makes the team better.  But he is a WR that - barring significant improvement - a good team would want to upgrade.  

6 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

He ranked 61st in receiving yards last season.  There are some TEs and RBs ahead of him so that improves his position a bit.  He’s serviceable, yes.  The Bills should not trade him because they don’t have that good of a WR corps and he makes the team better.  But he is a WR that - barring significant improvement - a good team would want to upgrade.  

He's replacement level which is why nobody will give you anything for him. He's a possession receiver that gets the yips in traffic. Super. 

9 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Dude had 56 catches and 7tds in his 2nd year in the league, with a quarter of that season having Peterman and Anderson at QB.  Edit: Also doesnt include pre-injury Josh who was not nearly as good as post injury Josh

He was also the best WR on the team over the course of the whole season (ugh) and got more targets by far than any other WR.  Again, he’s serviceable and he may yet develop into a solid WR.  Let’s see what he does this season and go from there.

30 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Any time you can trade your starting RB ad WR 3 weeks before the season for what would be at best a mid/late round pick you just have to do it. #process

We did with Sammy and worried why Tyrod regressed.  We should have traded MCCoy 2 years ago.  But now, both guys are more valuable to the Bills than anything they would get back. Keep’em. 

Just now, That's No Moon said:

He's replacement level which is why nobody will give you anything for him. He's a possession receiver that gets the yips in traffic. Super. 

Pretty much.  You mention a good point that I read in his predraft evaluation - he is a possession WR who excels at finding soft spots in zone especially underneath, but he isn’t great against man and doesn’t separate well deep.  Honestly he’d probably be great with Brady in that offense, but he doesn’t seem to fit with Allen and our vertical offense except maybe as a slot (which is Beasley’s job). 

16 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

He is a # 2 WR, ranked as an average #2 WR (in yards) and an above average #2 WR (in touchdowns). Sure, an upgrade would be awesome, but lets not pretend he is a garbage WR. 

18 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

When those eyes see him not catching the football, yeah it's a little hard.

That fact that your "eyes" can't pick up evidence borne out in statistics is why you should probably be a little more skeptical of your own opinions. 

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

He is a # 2 WR, ranked as an average #2 WR (in yards) and an above average #2 WR (in touchdowns). Sure, an upgrade would be awesome, but lets not pretend he is a garbage WR. 

At the same point, someone needed to catch the ball.  There are guys who get numbers but it doesn’t mean they’re good.  But he’s a sunk cost so I’m fine with keeping him at this point and hoping he gets it.  

But McBeane are bad at scouting the receiver position. 

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

At the same point, someone needed to catch the ball.  There are guys who get numbers but it doesn’t mean they’re good.  But he’s a sunk cost so I’m fine with keeping him at this point and hoping he gets it.  

But McBeane are bad at scouting the receiver position. 

Zay reminds me of Woods. He looks very average (not worthy of resigning), but he is also playing with terrible QBs/rookie QBs.  I hate the way we analyze WRs in isolation. Give Zay a year with a guy that can really sling it, and his yards will sky rocket. 

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Zay reminds me of Woods. He looks very average (not worthy of resigning), but he is also playing with terrible QBs/rookie QBs.  I hate the way we analyze WRs in isolation. Give Zay a year with a guy that can really sling it, and his yards will sky rocket. 

Woods was a baller.  I think he is much better than Zay.  He was tough and never dropped anything.  Zay seems like the opposite of this.  But I’m fine with him getting another year.

but imagine if we didn’t trade up for Zay and just took JuJu or Kupp? ?

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Woods was a baller.  I think he is much better than Zay.  He was tough and never dropped anything.  Zay seems like the opposite of this.  But I’m fine with him getting another year.

but imagine if we didn’t trade up for Zay and just took JuJu or Kupp? ?

He is better because he has an awesome QB, entering his prime, throwing to him. Same as JuJu and Kupp.  WRs (outside the best of the best) are only as good as the QB throwing them the ball.  JuJu looks like Zay if he is on the Bills. 

24 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I never said he was a garbage WR.  You should probably read my posts.  One further stat to go with those. He was 26th in targets among WRs.  He was 49th in receiving yards and 40th in receptions among WRs.  Certainly not garbage, but not really impressive as our top WR either. 

WR Stats

Edited by BarleyNY

5 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

McCoy has been a pro here.  I think he contributes big this year.......but, likely no new contract.  Somebody else will pick him up next year.  He may be motivated by career records.....or not.

I have been a Shady fan for a long time. It has been fun to watch him over the years. His game is based on quickness and that short burst of speed to hit the gaps. He appears to have lost some of that ability in the run game.  He is still a dangerous receiver and can still beat a guy in space.  IMHO his future will be as a third down back at a much reduced dollar contract with another team after this season.  Let's hope he can stay healthy and pull off one more good season in 2019.

3 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Oh good, semantics, that always provides for a good argument. 

Not semantics at all.  Overstating the position of an opponent so they seem unreasonable is a cheap and lazy way to argue.  I was just pointing out that that was what you were doing and that my position was very different than what you stated.  I am happy to argue honestly if you have any interest in that. 

48 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

He was also the best WR on the team over the course of the whole season (ugh) and got more targets by far than any other WR.  Again, he’s serviceable and he may yet develop into a solid WR.  Let’s see what he does this season and go from there.

Oh I am not saying he is made or anything but he is someone who we traded up for and seems to finally be trending in the right direction. I agree lets see what he does this season, I am expecting some further progression

Just now, Bray Wyatt said:

Oh I am not saying he is made or anything but he is someone who we traded up for and seems to finally be trending in the right direction. I agree lets see what he does this season, I am expecting some further progression

I agree with that.  It’s certainly the best course of action. 

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Any time you can trade your starting RB ad WR 3 weeks before the season for what would be at best a mid/late round pick you just have to do it. #process

I don’t agree with trading Zay as he is still young and really hasn’t had horrible production. Shady on the other hand. High cap hit, declining production, wrong side of 35. Easily 2 guys on the roster right now that can produce like he can. If you can get anything for him, you do it.