Who could we realistically trade Zay or Shady for?

rayray808

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Zay is going to have a really good year.  Allen is developing a nice rapport with Beasley, but Zay is still Allen's favorite target.  That could change, but outside of Beasley, Zay is still our best WR at getting open. 

Unfortunately for him, he's paid to catch the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

McCoy has been a pro here.  I think he contributes big this year.......but, likely no new contract.  Somebody else will pick him up next year.  He may be motivated by career records.....or not.

Gore's the insurance policy, but i could see all 3 of them getting around 100 touches.  Depends on your opponent, but look at NE.  Michel was the "bell cow" with 209 carries, but White also had about 200 touches and burkhead followed with another 75 (only played 8 games due to injury). 

NE had a top 5 rushing offense without a single back going over 1000 yards rushing (white had almost 1200 total yards).  I don't know where each of Buffalo's guys stacks up in that regard, but McCoy has the most experience being split out wide and is toughest for a LB to match up with 1x1 - so he would make the most sense in a white-lite role.  Gore is your mainstay running back, and singletary probably has a little bit of both.  He's not going to line up out wide, but you can do a lot with him and he's still tough to match up with.  

Considering how much i think we're going to split our back out wide, it makes sense to hang onto McCoy just because it can help the O go.  

29 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

They'd have to be worth next to nothing. Just keep em. They're infinitely more valuable to us on the team than whatever they'd go for in trade.

Yeah - Everyone's cutting a lot of people in a couple of weeks.  No one is actively searching to add people in a trade at this point unless its someone you take a flyer on at a major position of need.  If AB doesn't play i guess i could see them calling about zay? but i doubt it.  They likely wait to see who's free before they look at trading something.  Same goes for running back.  

Edited by dneveu

33 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

They'd have to be worth next to nothing. Just keep em. They're infinitely more valuable to us on the team than whatever they'd go for in trade.

Really, an old and slow RB who made his bones on speed and elusiveness is valuable to us?

30 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Zay dropped alot of balls his rookie season, true, but if you think the same is true of his second year, you may want to spend some time looking at the stats rather than just rely on the narrative. 

Why is there a "narrative"?

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m guessing that if it’s a topic in a message board that it’s also one in real life. The fact that Shady is still on the team is a pretty good indication that none of the 31 other GMs have offered the Bills much of anything for him. What’s something worth?...What someone else is willing to pay for it.

Well said.  Shady is old for a scat back, has 6M on this year and was ineffective last year as well as hurt.  He also hasn't shown the world anything this year, I wouldn't give anything for that.  If he comes out on fire and my RB1 goes down on a contending team and Buffalo will let him go for a 4th or so, maybe I'll play ball before the trade deadline, but that's  a whole lot of ifs.  As for Zay, all you have to do is look at Juju to know where he should be in his career, he's not.  He's going to be a journeyman WR at best, too bad, but thats the reality.  There are FA guys who have done more out there, so absolutely no trade value.

6 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I don't want or anticipate Shady going anywhere. I think he's going to have a huge bounce back year and be a great weapon for Josh...

Zay I'm not as high on....

I hope you are right on Shady, there's nothing to say he can't have a good year, his explosiveness looks to be back based on the limited time we saw him vs Carolina.  If he's not asked to take 300 carries, then he shouldn't wear down nearly as bad.  I have a feeling he's going to start every game he's healthy for and we will see 2 back sets where he's running routes or staying in to pass pro while Gore and Singletary get asked to pound it a little more.  Get him in space, use him for what he's great at.  In an ideal world, I see him with 60 catches and 150ish carries in the regular season.  IF the playoffs happen, he should still be pretty fresh and healthy. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

I hope you are right on Shady, there's nothing to say he can't have a good year, his explosiveness looks to be back based on the limited time we saw him vs Carolina.  If he's not asked to take 300 carries, then he shouldn't wear down nearly as bad.  I have a feeling he's going to start every game he's healthy for and we will see 2 back sets where he's running routes or staying in to pass pro while Gore and Singletary get asked to pound it a little more.  Get him in space, use him for what he's great at.  In an ideal world, I see him with 60 catches and 150ish carries in the regular season.  IF the playoffs happen, he should still be pretty fresh and healthy. 

Ya I like this idea. With quality depth at rb , they can really scale back his workload. Exactly, just get him in open space, sit back and enjoy watching him work.

3 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Trade the starting running back and WR2 for a 6th to draft someone to who may be PS.  That is how you build a team? 

Wonder if  they could get a third for EO? 

Hughes for a 5th sound good? 

Beane traded a 2nd round pick for a 4th before he ever played a single down for the Bills.

2 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Beane traded a 2nd round pick for a 4th before he ever played a single down for the Bills.

Sure a second rounder that he and the HC had nothing to do with drafting and that was third string behind Preston Brown and Tanner Vallejo. 

So so I guess if the guy is going to get cut then it’s worth a trade.

so yeah if they are cutting Zay or shady then get a pick. 

10 hours ago, rayray808 said:

Doyle TE Colts?

Draft picks?

Great idea, then we can have 6 TE's competing for 3 spots. 

I'd be fine for trading either of them, I'd even throw in other names of Yeldon, Lawson or Love, Croom, any of about 4 backup WR even Foster, and one of the lower level guys in the secondary.  But I'd be looking for a backup swing tackle.

That's a total of about 10 guys I listed competing for around 4 slots so would see if you can get anything rather than cutting the majority of them.  Maybe you could get a low 6th or 7th rounder for them.  Johnson a 7th rounder is looking damm good right now so better than nothing.  

And why would a team give up a guy you know is going to be cut, you get exclusive rights to him.

You could get as much as a third or fourth for Jones from a desperate team, maybe the Giants, Shady, I’m not so sure about, up to a fifth, depending on the teams needs that might want him, just a wag on my part though.

Go Bills!!!

9 hours ago, Kenosha2Buffalo said:

Why would you want to find out ?

For the Bills it could come down to something like this. Would you rather have Zay Jones or a 5th and Duke?  It may not be a 5th and Duke, you can fill in various options...McKenzie and a 6th.   I think the idea is there is good depth at WR-3-7 and Jones may be the only tradeable asset at WR because he was well thought of coming out and is on his rookie deal.

For McCoy, there may also be good depth at RB but its all about salary cap space.   Do you want him for this year only or save the 6 million.

Basically you always try and make your team better which involves trading off a shiny object today for future considerations (picks and cap space.)