Who could we realistically trade Zay or Shady for?

rayray808

I'm fine with trading Shady, mainly due to the great talent and early signs of real promise from Singletary as well as Gore and Yeldon holding down the backfield. But Zay is in his 3rd year, had a crappy QB to throw him the ball plus he was injured his entire Rookie season with a torn labrum and then had a piss-poor Offensive line to protect a Rookie QB. Zay had a really great final quarter last year when, you guessed it, Allen started to put together his season and his arrow was pointing directly up. 

Give Zay this year where I think he won't be asked to be the focal point, Offensive line should be better to give Allen more time, and he's fully healthy. Three really important things, not to mention continuity with a progressing young QB, to any WR's development. This should be a year where you see Zay have a great complimentary role as a #2-ish. There is no real #1 which is why I put the -ish on it. Beasley will hold the slot most of the time, Brown will be the primary outside target, and Zay will be able to find those open holes between the two. IF, big if, it all goes according to plan and the line and Allen stay healthy.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Unfortunately I just don't see Shady having a big year. Or basically just keep him as an insurance policy because most likely he will get hurt somewhere during the season.

Who, exactly, is the RB that McCoy would be an insurance policy for?   

I’m guessing that if it’s a topic in a message board that it’s also one in real life. The fact that Shady is still on the team is a pretty good indication that none of the 31 other GMs have offered the Bills much of anything for him. What’s something worth?...What someone else is willing to pay for it.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I'm fine with trading Shady, mainly due to the great talent and early signs of real promise from Singletary as well as Gore and Yeldon holding down the backfield. But Zay is in his 3rd year, had a crappy QB to throw him the ball plus he was injured his entire Rookie season with a torn labrum and then had a piss-poor Offensive line to protect a Rookie QB. Zay had a really great final quarter last year when, you guessed it, Allen started to put together his season and his arrow was pointing directly up. 

Give Zay this year where I think he won't be asked to be the focal point, Offensive line should be better to give Allen more time, and he's fully healthy. Three really important things, not to mention continuity with a progressing young QB, to any WR's development. This should be a year where you see Zay have a great complimentary role as a #2-ish. There is no real #1 which is why I put the -ish on it. Beasley will hold the slot most of the time, Brown will be the primary outside target, and Zay will be able to find those open holes between the two. IF, big if, it all goes according to plan and the line and Allen stay healthy.

Zay is going to have a really good year.  Allen is developing a nice rapport with Beasley, but Zay is still Allen's favorite target.  That could change, but outside of Beasley, Zay is still our best WR at getting open. 

Realistically, a Day 3 pick for Zay, maybe a late Day 3 pick for Shady if you're lucky.

If the staff thinks McCoy will not handle it well if Singletary gets a lot of reps, I'd happily cut him at this point.

Zay...the staff is higher on him than I am. I'd keep him and just have him be a rotation guy, but it seems like the staff wants to start him, so I'd rather cut him to save the staff from themselves.

I’m fine with trading either one.  Shady has a lot more value to Buffalo than Zay.  I would take whatever I could get for Zay.  7th rounder sure.  Last years 7th rounder Sweeney I would take all day over Zay

I would unload both of them in a heartbeat. If anything they will hold the offense back. McCoy by virtue of they feel they have to give him the ball and Jones because he’s just not very good but they invested a 2nd round pick and feel they have to play him. He had no real special traits coming out of the draft, had good hands, however and that sure as heck has not been evident in the nfl. 

When can we move off the trade Shady mantra?  A 6 mil contract, 31 years old,  and declining productivity equals zero trade value.  No team is going to trade for him based on his performance two or three years ago.  There are currently better options than him in free agency right now.  I hope there is some mentally deficient GM out there that just can't go on without taking Shady off our hands but I doubt that one exists.  The only real options for the Bills are to keep him or cut him.  I expect them to keep him and start the season using him.  If the productivity isn't there, his usage will evaporate.

As for Zay, he may not have shown enough productivity to garner much interest around the league.  In a scenario where a team loses multiple receivers, there may be some minimal interest. Other than that, I'm not expecting a trade.  IMHO he's good enough to be a team's second or third receiver but clearly not a lead dog. 

7 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Unfortunately I just don't see Shady having a big year. Or basically just keep him as an insurance policy because most likely he will get hurt somewhere during the season.

I'm not sure you understand how insurance policies work

Image result for smile gif

6 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

When can we move off the trade Shady mantra?  A 6 mil contract, 31 years old,  and declining productivity equals zero trade value.  No team is going to trade for him based on his performance two or three years ago.  There are currently better options than him in free agency right now.  I hope there is some mentally deficient GM out there that just can't go on without taking Shady off our hands but I doubt that one exists.  The only real options for the Bills are to keep him or cut him.  I expect them to keep him and start the season using him.  If the productivity isn't there, his usage will evaporate.

As for Zay, he may not have shown enough productivity to garner much interest around the league.  In a scenario where a team loses multiple receivers, there may be some minimal interest. Other than that, I'm not expecting a trade.  IMHO he's good enough to be a team's second or third receiver but clearly not a lead dog. 

Enter Jerry Jones the minute Zeke holdout misses games 

We finally have some depth and people just want to trade it away. 

Zay has been average in his production and if he catches that ball and scores no one is mentioning his name 

McCoy had no line last year with a rookie QB 

Does look a half step slower in preseason but also looks like he is just going through the motions 

I know that this is just a hypothetical question at this point and, OK, I am game, a 5th for Zay and a 4th for Shady.  HERE we don't think highly of Zay and I am not saying they should anywhere else, but on a terrible team last year he caught 61 passes and 7 TDs so thta should mean something to someone if they need receiver help.

That sad I have still been stunned by the perception of this fan base concerning Shady.

I don't think he has really lost a step and I think last year's Oline, especially for the running game, was bad beyond the mere stats that analysts give us.  I believe it was one of if not the worst line in franchise history.  He is a workout machine, takes care of himself, is not THAT old and is committed, especially in a free agency year.

I believe Shady is the number one back on this team and I believe he is going to rush for the most yards and depending upon how things unfold I believe he is capable of a thousand yard season, if not more.

I hope I am right, because it can only benefit this team this year if I am. 

31 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Enter Jerry Jones the minute Zeke holdout misses games 

I think Dallas will be totally fine with Tony Pollard if it comes to that, and I don't really think it'll come to that.