Eric Dungey over Tyree Jackson

3 hours ago, richardb1952 said:

I think Bills took the wrong NY QB.  I see how Tyree might have had more upside but Dungey was a far more accurate passer and played at a higher level.  I just don't see Jackson as an NFL QB but Dungey made plays and made his team better.  What more could you ask for from a 3rd string Practice Squad QB.  

To be able to run a scout team mimicking various opponents for us is probably bigger than ability to win a game himself 

4 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I honestly don’t understand this obsession with a 3rd string QB. The only QB that matters is Allen. 

People are always obsessed with the back half of the roster for some reason......

If Josh goes down...the season is over.....Matt will win some games but we would not make the playoffs.....

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, richardb1952 said:

I think Bills took the wrong NY QB.  I see how Tyree might have had more upside but Dungey was a far more accurate passer and played at a higher level.  I just don't see Jackson as an NFL QB but Dungey made plays and made his team better.  What more could you ask for from a 3rd string Practice Squad QB.  

Doesn't matter...

4 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I honestly don’t understand this obsession with a 3rd string QB. The only QB that matters is Allen. 

For the love of Christ, THIS.  Who effing cares??!??

Tyree Jackson has the same chance at being in the NFL that he does being the shortest woman in the world.  And who really gives a *****???  It's the practice squad!

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

People are always obsessed with the back half of the roster for some reason......

If Josh goes down...the season is over.....Matt will win some games but we would not make the playoffs.....

Agree 100%. If Allen pans out, the Bills are set at QB for years with him and Barkley (as long as Barkley is okay as back up). If one gets injured you want a vet that can play a couple games, not a developmental QB (see Eagles signing McCown). 

The obsession with the last 7 or so spots on the roster every year is amazing. The Bills churn the bottom 7 or so anyway based on need, look at all the moves at WR last year. Also the last RB last year was Keith Ford, he ends up getting about 10 carries and he's not even back on the 90 this year. 

Do the math:

32 teams, top 40 players on each team = 1280 players. The next 13 @ 32 teams: 416 players, there are probably 400-600 players that are really close to the ability level of those 416. 320 go on practice squads (players 54-63) and next 320 are players 64-73 on the training camp rosters. They are essentially interchangeable parts, every once and awhile you find a hidden gem but not that often. 

Allen and Barkley are the only QBs that matter for the foreseeable future. 

26 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

And this is true for just about every team in the NFL.  I will never understand the infatuation with the backup QB when it comes to Bills fans.

Not a prediction, but it seems to me like there are several young QBs doing a pretty good job late in some of these preseason games. Sloter for Minnesota is an example I've watched this evening.  Buffalo played against a guy the other night who did a good job.  They could keep track of these guys.  Several will likely not make their current teams' 53 man roster. some may make practice squads, a few may not.  Those are guys Buffalo could look at.  If they feelo strongly enough about a guy on somebody's PS, they can sign him to their 53 man roster.  Those who don't make a PS may still be a safer emergency QB than Jackson at this point.

8 hours ago, BubbaT said:

Doomed. I can just about guarantee that if we get down to #3 during the regular season it won't matter if it's Dungy/Jackson or anyone else

WE actually have to put a team on the field and for that you need a QB.  Wasn't one of our TEs (Dawson) a former QB in High School...heck he may be better than Jackson right now

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Its not about the season ending injury. Its about treading water if some players go down for a few games. Can get healthy limp into playoffs and make a run. Also please tell Foles and the Eagles a backup QB isn't relevant. Tell that head Coach /former qb over in Indianapolis that.

10 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

The 3rd string QB isn't the backup QB. It's the 2nd string QB.

Somebody said that the only QB who mattered was Allen, which was a stupid statement.   This year, it's clear that Barkley is the second stringer but last season the Bills went with the wrong QB, and they paid for it in spades.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, anthonymario said:

I understand that he is only our 3rd string qb and there is zero chance that he makes the roster but the reason that it is important is how can we properly judge our wide receivers. Is it fair to Duke Williams, Cam Phillips, Isaiah McKenzie or any of the other wide receivers that are battling for the final wr spot?

Are they running the right routes?  Are they doing what their assignments are?  Are they getting separation?  That is how you evaluate them. 

I would even argue having Tyree throwing to them gives them the opportunity to show their catch Radius as well. 

On a side note. Tyree is the perfect PS QB to have why?  Getting ready to play a Big Armed QB? You have a Big Armed QB on PS.  Getting ready to play a Mobile QB?  You have that on the PS. 

Getting ready to play a timing QB?  You have that on you team as well with Barkley. 

9 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Actually Cardale Jones had a decent game today. He made several really nice throws. He may not hold a roster spot in LA but he has a decent chance to catch on somewhere.

He will. In LA with the Chargers as he plays TT off that roster. 

14 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Anyone see Cardale Jones play for the Chargers today?  Sometimes crappy QBs get better if you (shocker!!) give them time to develop. That said TJ6 is pretty bad right now.

I think you need a QB on the PS who knows the system and can get called up in case of an injury. Why not have that be a developmental prospect? It's not like the Bill's PS squad spots are that precious.