EJ Gaines released

3 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Damn, I really liked him. He's a talented corner back.

Good luck to him in the future.

If our staff knows anything, it’s how to pick and develop DB’s. For that reason, I’ll trust this decision. 

I mean, it’s not like I can do anything else! 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

That's not how it works. He would need to be designated for return I think in week 10. Now if he is healed now or would be by opening day then you are correct.  My hunch is the other guys are stepping up and between Johnson x 2, Wallace, and Munnerlyn they have the DBs on the roster they want.

I am fairly certain there is no more "designated for return"..player gets put on IR, he is eligible to return after missing 8 weeks. Each team can do that twice in the year.

Caveat being... if placed on IR before the 53 is announced, that player is not eligible to return this year, and for good reason, as teams would stash a bunch of players of IR before cut down to 53, thus keeping them off the waiver wire. 

When Jack Kent Cooke owned the Redskins, there was no salary cap and no restriction on number of players on IR or how many could return. That team would have like 16 people on IR...and people would go on and off it like crazy..and JKC was more than happy to pay for it..while others like Ralph detested the circumvention of the rules. 

Buffalo Bills release E.J. Gaines from injured reserve with settlement

By reaching an injury settlement, the Bills pay him for his time on injured reserve but not the entire season. With a six week injury starting August 10th, Buffalo will probably pay him two or weeks of his 2019 salary (unless there was a previous figure already included in his contract being that he is so often injured).

Now Gaines is free to sign with a new team any time he is healthy. He can rejoin the Bills six weeks after the expiration of the injury settlement, as well. That would mean if Buffalo needs cornerback help around the start of November and Gaines is available, he can come back to the squad.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 1