EJ Gaines released

40 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Another team?  He has already played on 4 different rosters (2 different Bills rosters) and has been on IR on 3 of them--including now in Buffalo before taking a snap since they just signed him.

Well, at least we know that he doesn’t know the meaning of the word quit.

Dreams can be a tough thing to give up.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

He'll need assistance cleaning out his locker.

BREAKING: EJ Gaines has torn his ACL. Sources say this occurred while he was watching Jerry Hughes and Lorenzo Alexander cleaning out his locker.

Edited by Wayne Arnold
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Odd move. Why not just keep him on IR?  He must be healthy enough to come back sooner and wanted a chance to sign elsewhere.  

maybe they needed an open roster spot for somebody?

Bummer it didn’t work out, but we have some healthy CB’s playing their ass off. I’d rather keep one of the young guys at this point. 

Hopefully with him being released early early it’ll give him a chance to catch on somewhere else (if he gets/stays healthy). 

Only reason he was so cheap is cause his availability issues. I said if one of Gaines or Kevin Johnson stay healthy, it'll be a big help.

Beane did a great job in signing 2 CB on the cheap because of injury concerns . This is why it wasn't just one.

KJ has played lights out and would probably start on any other secondary. ? He stays available. Great depth!

Edited by JerseyBills

3 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

I’m reading he made $5.7 million over the last 5 years. How’d you do over that period? I know I made a bit less. He will be the wealthiest guy on the fry line, I’m guessing. 

Edited by Augie
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Odd move. Why not just keep him on IR?  He must be healthy enough to come back sooner and wanted a chance to sign elsewhere.  

I’d probably have ridden this out further but don’t know any behind the scenes. Possibly not an option. 

A viable CB is nice to have in your back pocket in case a couple go down early. There are only so many good ones on the street mid season. 

1 hour ago, Georgie said:

Can't keep him on IR forever if he has healed 

You don’t IR a guy who’s healthy two preseason weeks later 

1 hour ago, macaroni said:

maybe they needed an open roster spot for somebody?

You don’t eat a spot on IR

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

Damn, I was optimistic about him.  But he was probably the odd man out.  Did great things that one year 

Oh yeah he was fantastic this is too bad. Dude was solid as a rock in his first stint.. I'd even say underrated by some of us here.

But I'm excited for Taron Johnson to get more opportunities. I think McBeane's work in the secondary has been the regime's best contribution. Wouldn't second guess them now.

Not surprised, but unfortunate.  EJ is a very good CB when healthy, with healthy being the operative word.  He will probably get another chance elsewhere, though I suspect he will never be an impact player with his recurring injuries.  Too many good young CBs in Buffalo to keep a guy who would be a fixture on the IR.

3 hours ago, Georgie said:

Can't keep him on IR forever if he has healed 

That's not how it works. He would need to be designated for return I think in week 10. Now if he is healed now or would be by opening day then you are correct.  My hunch is the other guys are stepping up and between Johnson x 2, Wallace, and Munnerlyn they have the DBs on the roster they want.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I’m reading he made $5.7 million over the last 5 years. How’d you do over that period? I know I made a bit less. He will be the wealthiest guy on the fry line, I’m guessing.

That's what I thought too, until I found out that some players had to be shown how to open a checking account to cash their paycheck. Some didn't even know what it was.

I think some of these players buy gold chains, jewelry,etc as a form of a savings account, not knowing  other options exist.

21 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

That's not how it works. He would need to be designated for return I think in week 10. Now if he is healed now or would be by opening day then you are correct.  My hunch is the other guys are stepping up and between Johnson x 2, Wallace, and Munnerlyn they have the DBs on the roster they want.

Is there a rule prohibiting a team from placing a player projected to be out 1 week from IR? I know teams do it for players missing only 3-4 weeks....

Edited by unbillievable
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, unbillievable said:

That's what I thought too, until I found out that some players had to be shown how to open a checking account to cash their paycheck. Some didn't even know what it was.

I think some of these players buy gold chains, jewelry,etc as a form of a savings account, not knowing those options exist.

At one of my wife’s former banks they had an entire division geared toward handling professional athletes. At times, the level of ignorance was shocking. Too many had an advisor who was just “Uncle Joe” and he had his own agenda. Living off the player. 

The smart ones will be fine, the other end of the spectrum can make Mike Tyson’s $100 million and still end up broke. 

I’m here to tell you, $5.7 mil earned to this point for a younger guy only goes so far. Great start, but....Call it half after taxes and agent fees, etc. THAT is not enough to live off of in the way they would like for the next 60 years. They have a good pension after that time in the league, but still not enough. BUT, it’s enough to invest in deciding what you want to do for the rest of your life and how you might generate a decent living wage. You can buy the education/qualifications you need to be productive for the rest of your life. That is probably more fulfilling for most people than winning the Powerball then wondering what to do every day.