Is this best secondary the Bills have ever had?

10 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

McD let Gilmore walk and then blew a 3rd round comp pick to keep a 6th WR and a terrible Guard.

But McD also signed Hype and Poyer. I really liked the Hyde signing at the time and I did not think much of the Poyer signing.

I wish we could find out the truth as to how much of these moves were Whaley and how much was McD.  They had the cap room to keep Gilmore at least on a franchise tag. Oh well

I'm not sure either, although I would give credit to McDermott if I had to choose. He's still coaching the scheme very successfully with these guys which mean something. He was the one there for Tre White, Poyer, and Hyde. 

But again the regime still seems to hit on all their dumpster diving. I was partial to Taron Johnson last year.. I can't think of a secondary addition that didn't exceed expectations.. except Vontae Davis lol.

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Not the most talent but potentially the best combination of talent and secondary specific coaching/scheme.

McD is basically a secondary coach...........this situation is a lot like the special teams when Marv was HC.

Also not surprising that both McD and Jauron chose to rebuild the secondary as their first order of business given their being DBs as players and then coaches. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'd say the best was the 2004

Nate Clements - Antoine Winfield - Terrence McGee CB Trio with

Lawyer Milloy and Izell Reese at safety

Reese being the only weakness, which was address with Troy Vincent, but after they lost Winfield to FA... in 2005 they had Clements, McGee, and Jabari Greer, with Milloy and Vincent, which was also great, but I think the Winfield, Clements, McGee with Milloy outweighs them by a bit... 

The AFL had 8 teams, making the Pro Bowl back then was much easier than today based on # of players competing for those spots. Can't really count Pro Bowl appearances when comparing 1965 players to 2019 players.

3 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

Would you feel differently if he weren't undrafted?

No, it's just his play on the Torrey Smith pass and others make me worry that he's the weak link of the secondary. Yet as bad as he looked on said play he still was able to cause an incompletion but it was worth seeing him out of position and having to turn himself around to make a play etc. 

59 minutes ago, 947 said:

The AFL had 8 teams, making the Pro Bowl back then was much easier than today based on # of players competing for those spots. Can't really count Pro Bowl appearances when comparing 1965 players to 2019 players.

Well, if you’re gonna get all technical, the AFL had AllStars, not Pro Bowls. No ALF star made a Pro Bowl until the ‘70 merger.