Is this best secondary the Bills have ever had?

White is a legit top 5 CB. Hyde and Poyer are both top 20 safeties, not elite but fringe ProBowl players. And the depth for legit CBs is 4 or 5 deep.  Gaines coming off IR late in the season is like getting a Christmas present that was forgotten in the closet.

Winfield/Clements was a great CB duo but the safeties were terrible - Milloy in decline and Coy Wire was awful.

Odomes was very good but the rest of the secondary was average or below. 

Butch Byrd is greatest DB in Bills history. But I really don't know much else about the rest of the guys he played with. I thought the Bills AFL defense's were built around DL and LBs, but I may be wrong.

14 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

White is a legit top 5 CB. Hyde and Poyer are both top 20 safeties, not elite but fringe ProBowl players. And the depth for legit CBs is 4 or 5 deep.  Gaines coming off IR late in the season is like getting a Christmas present that was forgotten in the closet.

Winfield/Clements was a great CB duo but the safeties were terrible - Milloy in decline and Coy Wire was awful.

Butch Byrd is greatest DB in Bills history. But I really don't know much else about the rest of the guys he played with. I thought the Bills AFL defense's were built around DL and LBs, but I may be wrong.

Some perspective.  The 1965 Buffalo Bills entire starting 4 secondary - Booker Edgerson and Butch Byrd CBs and George Saimes and Hagood Clark made the Pro Bowl and Saimes and Byrd were First Team All Pro.  

None of the current Bills secondary have ever made the Pro Bowl or been All Pro.  So the easy answer is they are not the best Bills secondary ever...not yet anyways. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, freddyjj said:

Some perspective.  The 1965 Buffalo Bills entire starting 4 secondary - Booker Edgerson and Butch Byrd CBs and George Saimes and Hagood Clark made the Pro Bowl and Saimes and Byrd were First Team All Pro.  

None of the current Bills secondary have ever made the Pro Bowl or been All Pro.  So the easy answer is they are not the best Bills secondary ever...not yet anyways. 

Making the pro bowl doesn’t mean a dam thing.  First team all pro is different. 

I never saw the 65 team play as I was born in 74 so I can’t compare the two. What I do know it, this secondary is elite level

Just now, NewEra said:

I never saw the 65 team play as I was born in 74 so I can’t compare the two. What I do know it, this secondary is elite level

Lol.  Every guy in Bills secondary made it that year.  Never happened with any other nfl team in same year since.   So that 65 team was unreal.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Hyde was named 2nd team all pro and pro bowler in 17. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I slightly disagree here. I think making it onto the initial roster holds merit. It’s the fact that nobody plays in it and 4th or 5th alternates are now going that waters it down. 

26 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

As a group yes, I'm not 100% sold on Levi as a starter but like our nickel and dime CBs yet I think scheme and coaching also plays a part as McDermott McDermott/Frasier know zone coverage.

8 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Lol.  Every guy in Bills secondary made it that year.  Never happened with any other nfl team in same year since.   So that 65 team was unreal.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1965_AFL/probowl.htm

got me interested in this team.  Is this link wrong?  Looks like it says the Bills has 36 players make the pro bowl in 1965.  Lol

4 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

32 INTs and surrendered only 16 pts per game.   Bills Defense allowed only 4 rushing TDs all year 

4 starting DBs had 21 total INTs alone.  

Granted a different era but they were the best secondary I’ve ever seen play 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Thanks for the info.  I've honesty never heard of Saimes.  I will look him up.  

4 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I slightly disagree here. I think making it onto the initial roster holds merit. It’s the fact that nobody plays in it and 4th or 5th alternates are now going that waters it down. 

For sure.  That’s what the stat should be imo. Times voted in NOT as an alternate

and even than, it can be tricky.  Ruben Brown was named to the initially team more than a few times where he didn’t deserve it.  He was named based on his past play imo 

Edited by NewEra

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1965_AFL/probowl.htm

got me interested in this team.  Is this link wrong?  Looks like it says the Bills has 36 players make the pro bowl in 1965.  Lol

Wow, there are like 75 names on there.  Makes the argument all 4 made the ProBowl a bit watered down.  

18 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Well, there you have it then. ?

Go Bills!!!