Cedric Benson dies in motorcycle crash

Doc Brown

2 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Ever wonder why it is law that you need to wear a seatbelt when motorcyclists have no such law?

How about having to wear a seatbelt on a plane, but not on a train?  That one always bewilders me.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

So you don’t get dragged or bounced around under the 500 lb bike. Cars you’re enclosed in something designed to protect you in an accident. It would do more harm than good.

No.

Try a government money grab. 

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

I'm with Karlos on this one.  A seatbelt on a motorcycle would be a very, very bad idea.

Don’t kid yourself.

Just like why can you eat, drink soda, turn the radio.....but don’t on a cell phone!

Money grab.

Just now, Binghamton Beast said:

Don’t kid yourself.

Just like why can you eat, drink soda, turn the radio.....but don’t on a cell phone!

Money grab.

I'm not kidding anyone.  I'm just saying that wearing a seatbelt on a motorcycle would not be smart.

15 hours ago, Gugny said:

How about having to wear a seatbelt on a plane, but not on a train?  That one always bewilders me.

My guess is that you rarely have a sudden 500 foot drop on a train

4 minutes ago, GG said:

My guess is that you rarely have a sudden 500 foot drop on a train

Nothing worse than train turbulence, man.

Better comparison would be an automobile.  If a train crashes, I'd imagine that a seatbelt would save lives, just as they often do in automobile crashes.

20 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Nothing worse than train turbulence, man.

Better comparison would be an automobile.  If a train crashes, I'd imagine that a seatbelt would save lives, just as they often do in automobile crashes.

If a train crashes and you're belted in, you're just going to be crushed in your seat instead of in the aisle.  

Train and car wrecks aren't comparable - there's orders of magnitude difference in momentum and energy.

On 8/19/2019 at 6:21 AM, Golden Goat said:

When I was 10, my family witnessed a truck jacknife on the freeway. The motorcyclist behind him was decapitated.

Never, never, never...

Saw a cyclist decapitated by a street sign once.  :ph34r:

Of everyone I've ever known who's rode a motorcycle, I know exactly two people who weren't killed or badly injured - my dad, and my cousin's wife.  Everyone else I know who's been on a motorcycle has spent at least a week in the hospital, or died, because of an accident.

3 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Saw a cyclist decapitated by a street sign once.  :ph34r:

Of everyone I've ever known who's rode a motorcycle, I know exactly two people who weren't killed or badly injured - my dad, and my cousin's wife.  Everyone else I know who's been on a motorcycle has spent at least a week in the hospital, or died, because of an accident.

In addition to the distracted drivers, fear of deer running into the road and other uncontrollable (by the rider) forces, the seemingly daily reports of bad accidents in the paper/on the news really got to me.

My friend who taught me how to ride dumped his bike when, as he was breaking, his tire hit a dead squirrel.  He didn't break any bones, but he was scuffed up pretty good and the bike was dented all over.  He sold his bike shortly after that happened.

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

In addition to the distracted drivers, fear of deer running into the road and other uncontrollable (by the rider) forces, the seemingly daily reports of bad accidents in the paper/on the news really got to me.

My friend who taught me how to ride dumped his bike when, as he was breaking, his tire hit a dead squirrel.  He didn't break any bones, but he was scuffed up pretty good and the bike was dented all over.  He sold his bike shortly after that happened.

When I was in high school some clown kid from Texas moved in across the street. He was determined to impress his new neighbors with his motorcycle and his riding skills. Literally within about 2 minutes he’s trying to pop wheelies, dumps the bike, gets a nasty burn on his leg and leaves a significant amount of flesh on the asphalt between our houses. “That looks fun, Tex! I’ll let somebody else take the next ride.” 

First week in college I have the dorm windows open and hear a motorcycle opening up and screaming down a nearby road. You could HEAR that he was going WAY TOO fast.  A car backed out of a driveway, and this guy flew a shocking distance before an oak tree stopped his flight. I was one of the first people there.....you never forget a thing like that. 

26 minutes ago, Gugny said:

My cousin died when a deer ran out in front of him and his wife.  Residential road, doing the speed limit (30), they both were experienced riders wearing good leathers, and did exactly what they were supposed to: laid their bikes down instead of hitting the deer.  She got up...he didn't.

I think everyone in my extended family sold their bikes after that.  Although grandma still went riding with her boyfriend...

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

I'm not kidding anyone.  I'm just saying that wearing a seatbelt on a motorcycle would not be smart.

If the government really cared about the safety of anyone on the highways they wouldn’t allow cycles on the road to begin with.