One of or both of Sweeney and Knox...

whorlnut

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

There is a chance that Croom is cut outright, clears waivers and signs to the PS.

Yeah but based on performance this offseason I think those are the two likely scenarios that play out. I personally would rather have Croom over Smith but not gonna happen. McD and Daboll likely value Smith’s blocking. 

Where I would rather go with

Kroft

Knox

Croom

Sweeney 

to have pass threats up and down on the TE depth chart. And have a OT take over Smith Short Yardage blocking. 

Knox and Sweeney will be an awesome 1-2 punch at TE for the Bills for years to come. 

I expected Knox to be good, but Sweeney is a total surprise to me. 

I'm just glad that the Bills traded in front of the Pats* to take Knox, and that the injuries this offseason have allowed Sweeney the opportunity to show his stuff.

If Kroft winds up being any good, the Bills are quite well stocked at the tight end position for the first time in forever.

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yeah but based on performance this offseason I think those are the two likely scenarios that play out. I personally would rather have Croom over Smith but not gonna happen. McD and Daboll likely value Smith’s blocking. 

Kroft

Knox

Croom

Sweeney 

to have pass threats up and down on the TE depth chart. And have a OT take over Smith Short Yardage blocking. 

They tried that Jake Fisher didn't make it.

14 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Kroft

Knox

Croom

Sweeney 

I see your point but I also feel Smith is getting a bum rap from his first stint in Buffalo.

I do believe he is overpaid but I guess I'm old school in wanting a true blocking TE on the team.

Also, Smith doesn't get a lot of balls thrown his way but he does catch the ones that are.

All that being said, the TE Room is a total mystery to me this year.  Lot's of "potential" but who knows.

I am glad to see they are all getting healthy!

Edited by ColoradoBills

38 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

There is a chance that Croom is cut outright, clears waivers and signs to the PS.

not an option due to his being active for greater than 6 games last year

A player cannot participate on the practice squad for more than three seasons; he is eligible for a third season only if the team has at least 53 players on its active/inactive list for the duration of that player's employment, or have no prior accrued seasons in the NFL (an accrued season is six or more games on the active roster); or if he has accrued a year of NFL experience on a club's 53-man active roster.

IMHO OBD lets Croom go on cutdown day.  not a good blocker and not physical enough going for the ball.  Kroft goes to PUP and they run with Smith, Knox and Sweeney on opening day.

Edited by freddyjj
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

A player cannot participate on the practice squad for more than three seasons; he is eligible for a third season only if the team has at least 53 players on its active/inactive list for the duration of that player's employment, or have no prior accrued seasons in the NFL (an accrued season is six or more games on the active roster); or if he has accrued a year of NFL experience on a club's 53-man active roster.

First off thanks and I did forget that Croom got signed in Nov 2017 to the practice squad.

So he has 1 PS season and 1 accrued season.

I'm not totally sure but wouldn't this be only his 2nd season on PS so the 3rd season exceptions would not be enforced?

This is what I have been going by...........am I missing something?

Eligibility

Not all players are eligible for a practice squad, especially if they’ve been in the NFL for several years and/or played in a number of games. In 2016, the NFL adopted a modification to the practice squad rules that allows up to four players per practice squad to have two accrued seasons, making it easier for teams to have experienced players on their practice squad. In the previous agreement, only two players with two accrued seasons were allowed to be on a practice squad.

Other than those four players, eligibility is limited to players who have been on an active roster for fewer than six games, or were on a 46-man active gameday roster for fewer than nine games.

A player is allowed on the practice squad for up to two years, with one year counting as six weeks in a season. A third year on the practice squad is only allowed if the team keeps 53 players on their active roster at all times (which every team does).

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

First off thanks and I did forget that Croom got signed in Nov 2017 to the practice squad.

So he has 1 PS season and 1 accrued season.

I'm not totally sure but wouldn't this be only his 2nd season on PS so the 3rd season exceptions would not be enforced?

This is what I have been going by...........am I missing something?

Eligibility

Not all players are eligible for a practice squad, especially if they’ve been in the NFL for several years and/or played in a number of games. In 2016, the NFL adopted a modification to the practice squad rules that allows up to four players per practice squad to have two accrued seasons, making it easier for teams to have experienced players on their practice squad. In the previous agreement, only two players with two accrued seasons were allowed to be on a practice squad.

Other than those four players, eligibility is limited to players who have been on an active roster for fewer than six games, or were on a 46-man active gameday roster for fewer than nine games.

A player is allowed on the practice squad for up to two years, with one year counting as six weeks in a season. A third year on the practice squad is only allowed if the team keeps 53 players on their active roster at all times (which every team does).

Thanks @ColoradoBills for expanding on this...now we are in a quandary!  This is from https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/6/1/18647976/reviewing-the-nfl-rules-regarding-practice-squad-eligibility-pittsburgh-steelers-news

Players are practice squad eligible for up to three years. A player uses a year of practice squad eligibility if they receive a paycheck for six weeks (either regular season, bye week, or playoffs) for either of their first two years of eligibility. If a player is on their third year of practice squad eligibility, they only have to be on the practice squad for one week in order for it to count as a year served.

Each team is also allowed to carry up to four players on their practice squad who have two or less accrued seasons in the NFL. In other words, every player drafted or signed as an undrafted free agent in 2017 and 2018 are still eligible to be on the practice squad, even if they played in every game in both seasons. But remember teams can only keep four of such players. Additionally, players who have accrued seasons but were active in nine or fewer games during the season do NOT count towards these four positions.

9 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Thanks @ColoradoBills for expanding on this...now we are in a quandary!  This is from https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/6/1/18647976/reviewing-the-nfl-rules-regarding-practice-squad-eligibility-pittsburgh-steelers-news

Players are practice squad eligible for up to three years. A player uses a year of practice squad eligibility if they receive a paycheck for six weeks (either regular season, bye week, or playoffs) for either of their first two years of eligibility. If a player is on their third year of practice squad eligibility, they only have to be on the practice squad for one week in order for it to count as a year served.

Each team is also allowed to carry up to four players on their practice squad who have two or less accrued seasons in the NFL. In other words, every player drafted or signed as an undrafted free agent in 2017 and 2018 are still eligible to be on the practice squad, even if they played in every game in both seasons. But remember teams can only keep four of such players. Additionally, players who have accrued seasons but were active in nine or fewer games during the season do NOT count towards these four positions.

LOL, get a lawyer.

Croom was signed as a UDFA in 2017 so he is eligible.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Might as well just come out and say he’s made the team and will be my starting TE on opening day.

I think that's a given at this point.  He's been the only healthy TE the past 2 games, outside of Towbridge who has done nothing.

1 hour ago, freddyjj said:

IMHO OBD lets Croom go on cutdown day.  not a good blocker and not physical enough going for the ball.  Kroft goes to PUP and they run with Smith, Knox and Sweeney on opening day.

I am pretty sure he is eligible based off this part of the new rule a couple years ago. 

In 2016, the NFL adopted a modification to the practice squad rules that allows up to four players per practice squad to have two accrued seasons, making it easier for teams to have experienced players on their practice squad. In the previous agreement, only two players with two accrued seasons were allowed to be on a practice squad.”

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I am pretty sure he is eligible based off this part of the new rule a couple years ago. 

In 2016, the NFL adopted a modification to the practice squad rules that allows up to four players per practice squad to have two accrued seasons, making it easier for teams to have experienced players on their practice squad. In the previous agreement, only two players with two accrued seasons were allowed to be on a practice squad.”

Appreciate clarification.  I stand corrected.   Would hate to be an NFL team personnel employee 

On 8/18/2019 at 4:52 PM, CaptnCoke11 said:

Sweeney, Knox, Croom, Smith, Kroft(PUP)

yep

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Two Options. 

Option 1 

Kroft (PUP) 

Knox

Sweeney

Croom 

Smith 

Option 2

Kroft

Knox

Sweeney

Smith 

Croom - Cut. 

yep again !

Croom has has a hard row to hoe.
he might be even with Keith Towbridge ( who i think ca get PS again ?? )

The Croom thing might be over. we shall see who is healthy in two weeks at TE.

I don't know what the ceiling is for either of them, but I believe they will both be pretty good. Knox has great speed for a TE, so if he can develop his route running and catching, he could be our #1. I also heard from some pundit that Sweeney had the "best hands in the draft". Kroft is a decent TE also. Croom is definitely gone unless he really steps it up because roster spots will be tough to come by this year as I suspect that the bills will be calling Wade up to the 53 man roster at some point in 2019.

usatsi_13116604.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Bills TE Dawson Knox, now healthy, feels like a 'kid on Christmas'

The Bills haven’t seen much out of tight end Dawson Knox. That’s not really the rookie’s fault, though. He’s been dealing with a hamstring injury which he suffered early in training camp.

This week, Knox’s status is improving. He’s out on the field doing some work, but as things go with hamstring injuries, the team is working him in slowly in hopes of him not re-aggravating the strain.

But regardless of how things shake out, quarterback Josh Allen said he’s happy for Knox and Croom to be working their way back into the lineup.

“It’s good to have them back obviously they’ve been out for a couple of weeks now. It’s just a different flow with the offense when they’re in there. It’s fun to have them back.

It gives Tommy and Lee a little break, I know they were working really hard. Trying to manage all the reps that they were getting. To have those guys back it, solidifies the depth a little bit more there,” Allen said.

It’s unclear how much Knox will play in Buffalo’s third preseason game on Friday against the Lions, but the Bills will likely want to get him in, if they can.