Question about our penalties

I could look this up but I'm throwing it out to you all, I didn't watch the Colts game, but it seems after two preseason games the penalties seem to have been somewhat held to a minimum, I think I've seen Spain flagged a couple times and we're only half way through the preseason, but it seems to me the talent improvements and the coaching is showing through. Thoughts.....

1 hour ago, twist_to_open said:

I could look this up but I'm throwing it out to you all, I didn't watch the Colts game, but it seems after two preseason games the penalties seem to have been somewhat held to a minimum, I think I've seen Spain flagged a couple times and we're only half way through the preseason, but it seems to me the talent improvements and the coaching is showing through. Thoughts.....

I have never felt that officiating was very objective when it came to certain teams and I have my theories in regards to that - after all the NFL is first and foremost an entertainment business.

That being said, there is some truth to the fact that teams with poor personnel commit more noticeable penalties. Last year our offensive line was atrocious. You had Dawkins with his every-game brain-fart false starts, you had other linemen clearly over-matched and out of position holding defenders. It was quite often a train wreck on that side of the ball.

The influx of veteran talent on the o-line will go a long way to negating a bulk of our penalties. Savvy vets know how to play the game in a way that minimizes those noticeable penalties. Also, I think the coaching of the o-line has improved and Josh's command of the huddle - we should see this pay off this year.

Edited by WideNine

55 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I have never felt that officiating was very objective when it came to certain teams and I have my theories in regards to that - after all the NFL is first and foremost an entertainment business.

That being said, there is some truth to the fact that teams with poor personnel commit more noticeable penalties. Last year our offensive line was atrocious. You had Dawkins with his every-game brain-fart false starts, you had other linemen clearly over-matched and out of position holding defenders. It was quite often a train wreck on that side of the ball.

The influx of veteran talent on the o-line will go a long way to negating a bulk of our penalties. Savvy vets no how to play the game in a way that minimizes those noticeable penalties. Also, I think the coaching of the o-line has improved and Josh's command of the huddle - we should see this pay off this year.

My thoughts exactly, I think you said it better and more of what I was eluding to, we all look for signs of improvement this time of year, and I think the reduction of dumb penalties is a good sign.

16 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I thought the Bills starters did a good job not getting penalties. 

The replacements got got most of the flags 

yeah it seemed like the 3rd stringers were getting flagged every other play... heh

• Like (+1) 1

Anybody have a clip of the "Roughing the passer" in the first half of the Panthers game? They didn't show a replay in the stadium but I was looking right at the QB when it happened and I didn't see ANYTHING that warranted it. 

That was a huge call as it would've been 4th and I believe 15 or so. They ended up scoring their first points of the game on that drive because the drive was extended by the "penalty"

Edited by CLTbills

1 minute ago, CLTbills said:

Anybody have a clip of the "Roughing the passer" in the first half of the Panthers game? They didn't show a replay in the stadium but I was looking right at the QB when it happened and I didn't see ANYTHING that warranted it. 

That was a huge call as it would've been 4th and I believe 15 or so. They ended up scoring their first points of the game on that drive because the drive was extended by the "penalty"

Was that the one where Shaq pushed into him but managed to pull up quickly enough to avoid knocking him on his ass?

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Was that the one where Shaq pushed into him but managed to pull up quickly enough to avoid knocking him on his ass?

Yes, Shaq was the one flagged. I was on the end of the stadium where I was looking more at the QB's back than the front so I couldn't really see what Shaq did, but the QB never even fell over.

Preseason penalty recap: Buffalo Bills at Carolina Panthers

Penalties_preseason_panthers_2019.jpg

This week was a little more interesting which is of course a bad thing. The 18.7 harm was more than twice the total of last week and firmly in the category of “bad.” In addition to an overall higher volume, the Bills also impacted more yards and downs than they did against the Colts.

Four different players committed offensive holding including three linemen. Most of these were from depth players looking to get noticed but going about it the wrong way. Quinton Spain looks to be the starting left guard. His holding call this week adds to last week’s flag and suggests a pattern we’d rather not see.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

It was just late, started to pull up but still hit him. Not a penalty from a roughness standpoint, but an easy call in today’s NFL

The refs were bad.  Worst call was the chop block on the Panthers.  The Panther's guard made a low BTK block on the Bills D-lineman, but he was not engaged by another blocker, the block was one-on-one.  A chop block is not a BTK block, you have to make it while the Bills D-lineman is engaged with another Panther.  The OPI call on the Duke was ridiculous, he was on the other side of the field from the screen to Singletary. They went flag-happy in the 2nd half. 

15 hours ago, Warcodered said:

It was but he had a hand in the face of the QB. That is a penalty every time. He wasn't going to hurt him but by the letter of the law that is still roughing the passer.

.....uh oh............

Al Riveron is now the most powerful person in all of football

Posted by Mike Florio on August 19, 2019, 11:09 AM EDT

Step aside, Commissioner.

During the coming football season, no person in the NFL will be more powerful than senior V.P. of officiating Al Riveron. Although that probably became true the moment that the head of officiating acquired final say over all replay reviews, the addition of offensive and defensive pass interference calls and non-calls pushes it to a new level.

Starting this year, Riveron has the ability to swing massive chunks of field position, by throwing an after-the-fact spot-foul defensive pass interference flag or by wiping out a long gain (or a touchdown) based on offensive pass interference that wasn’t called on the field. And he has that power over each of the 256 regular-season and 11 postseason games that will be played in the league’s 100th season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/19/al-riveron-is-now-the-most-powerful-person-in-all-of-football/