Clarifying the Buffalo Bills roster status with running back Christian Wade

HOUSE

The best part about this guy is his natural ability to flat out run AND break tackles.  Fun to watch.

Loved the replay of TD vs Colts when the STers were running on field for PAT and Teller and McGhinn had to wave him off field as he didn't understand what was next.

Cheering for him but expect he lands on Bills PS for all of 2019.  

Haven't seen this posted here yet

Best interpretation I have read to date on the matter

https://13wham.com/buffalo-plus/bills-latest-news/christian-wade-cool-story-but

Edited by freddyjj

35 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I still think 11th PS is the most likely outcome. 

If they go the 10th PS route and some team tries to add him to their 53 we would have the chance to match or outbid them and then Wade would choose. I'd imagine he would stay but you never know. The opportunity elsewhere may be better for him. 

Idk. I could be mistaken but I thought after a year protected as the 11th man on the PS he was essentially a FA. If so isn't the only practical difference between the two situations is that he would not be eligible this year in season if protected. I think we are both assuming that he clears waivers either way. If all things are equal I'd like the ability to call him up in season. Injuries to our RBs could be a factor.

I don't really know what we've got in him. I'd really like to see him against better competition. I gather that his main traits as a rugby player that made him one of the best  were vision, elusiveness and acceleration. Those are high priority attributes for a NFL RB. Its not clear to me that he cannot catch a football. His only drop was a poorly thrown ball that was tipped. The other poorly thrown ball he caught and ran with for 48 yards. I get that his background is rugby but when he runs he looks to me a lot like a RB, a good one. The kid is a real tease.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Idk. I could be mistaken but I thought after a year protected as the 11th man on the PS he was essentially a FA. If so isn't the only practical difference between the two situations is that he would not be eligible this year in season if protected. I think we are both assuming that he clears waivers either way. If all things are equal I'd like the ability to call him up in season. Injuries to our RBs could be a factor.

I don't really know what we've got in him. I'd really like to see him against better competition. I gather that his main traits as a rugby player that made him one of the best  were vision, elusiveness and acceleration. Those are high priority attributes for a NFL RB. Its not clear to me that he cannot catch a football. His only drop was a poorly thrown ball that was tipped. The other poorly thrown ball he caught and ran with for 48 yards. I get that his background is rugby but when he runs he looks to me a lot like a RB, a good one. The kid is a real tease.

If we put him in the 10PS then other teams could sign him to their 53 at any point during the season. Or we could. I was jus saying that IF a team wants to sign him off our 10PS they don't automatically get him. What happens is, the other team tells his agent we want to sign him and they offer him a contract. The agent then brings it to the player, but also can bring it to the team, in this case the Bills, and say team X wants to sign Wade to a contract worth Y, would you like to match or beat that contract, and then Wade and his agent choose which one they want if the Bills make an offer. If another team tried to sign him this year we could still retain him if we wanted him bad enough. 

55 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

He could sign anywhere... but he probably wouldnt.

I don't know why everyone is talking about Wade ending up in the PS. That just isn't going to happen. This is what I said in the other thread:

"According to the Salary Cap chart, Wade is already on a salary of $495,000, same as Singletary. This is roughly the same as what he would have earned if he had stayed in England playing Rugby.

But I really can't see that he would be interested in cooling his heels in the PS, this is a guy who needs to be playing every week. He has said this in many interviews. If the Bills don't include him in the 53, and another franchise doesn't pick him, I can see him reverting to his original Plan B, which is to go and play rugby in the Southern Hemisphere (Australia, New Zealand or South Africa).

So Sean McDermott has a decision to make - put him on the roster, or risk having Wade rip the Bills' defence to shreds wearing a Jets shirt."

But it's not just about 50-odd yard spectacular runs. The bread and butter for an RB is surely to convert those 3rd downs into first downs, and keep the chains moving. Wade will give you that, he almost always beats the first tackler, and makes a few more yards before two or three guys gang up to stop him. He did that week in, week out, in Rugby, and the tacklers there were also elite top class professional players, no insurance salesmen or grocery baggers there.

I also don't recall him ever spilling the ball in a tackle in Rugby, and that ball is slightly bigger than the one used in American Football. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, bargepole said:

I don't know why everyone is talking about Wade ending up in the PS. That just isn't going to happen. This is what I said in the other thread:

"According to the Salary Cap chart, Wade is already on a salary of $495,000, same as Singletary. This is roughly the same as what he would have earned if he had stayed in England playing Rugby.

But I really can't see that he would be interested in cooling his heels in the PS, this is a guy who needs to be playing every week. He has said this in many interviews. If the Bills don't include him in the 53, and another franchise doesn't pick him, I can see him reverting to his original Plan B, which is to go and play rugby in the Southern Hemisphere (Australia, New Zealand or South Africa).

So Sean McDermott has a decision to make - put him on the roster, or risk having Wade rip the Bills' defence to shreds wearing a Jets shirt."

But it's not just about 50-odd yard spectacular runs. The bread and butter for an RB is surely to convert those 3rd downs into first downs, and keep the chains moving. Wade will give you that, he almost always beats the first tackler, and makes a few more yards before two or three guys gang up to stop him. He did that week in, week out, in Rugby, and the tacklers there were also elite top class professional players, no insurance salesmen or grocery baggers there.

I also don't recall him ever spilling the ball in a tackle in Rugby, and that ball is slightly bigger than the one used in American Football. 

But I read here that Wade absolutely, positively, 100% won't be on the Bills 53-man roster.  The guys who said so were sure of it....and they are steely-eyed realists.

7 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

The Bills should be willing to be creative and explore all avenues to win. What do they have to lose. 

If Wade is cut he can choose who he signs with.  The Bills have owners who do not mind spending and they can what another team did to a player from our roster - pay him regular season salary and place him on regular PS if he agrees.  He will be told he will be raised to 53 man roster when ready.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

If Wade is cut he can choose who he signs with.  The Bills have owners who do not mind spending and they can what another team did to a player from our roster - pay him regular season salary and place him on regular PS if he agrees.  Heo0 will be told he will be raised to 53 man roster when ready.

I like the flexibility of that scenario if it comes down to it. If Wade continues to progress and out perform marginal players, he should be given the opportunity to help this team. If I am the Bills, I am going to be open minded and use all available resources at my disposal, even if its a crossover rugby player.  If they feel that he needs a little refinement on the PS, then plug him in at a later date.

Edited by Rocket94

14 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Well its time to admit it 

I was wrong! 

or misdirected by the Fake Media reports  ;)   :lol: 

It is nefarious, but.. Enjoy!

739F450F-52A6-412B-BACF-0980E7B01283.jpeg

11 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

He is 28.  If the Bills Donny want him on their roster I hope they waive him and let him see if some other team thinks he is good enough for their roster. it would be sad to follow a route that makes a 28 year old ineligible for a full year .   

Who's Donny??

• Haha (+1) 1

I'd say following blockers, showing an improved NFL Football IQ, and having 100+ yards with the 1's.  

On the other hand, even if he doesn't make the 53, I'm putting him on our PS instantly.  Not exposing him to other teams through the international system.  He could always be taken off our PS, but he's great depth.