Clarifying the Buffalo Bills roster status with running back Christian Wade

2 hours ago, MR8 said:

People need to pump the freaking breaks on this kid... he's making these big plays against guys who flat out WILL NOT be on 53 man rosters... and neither will he.

He's been fun to watch with 2 big plays, and I get it, he's a great story, but this guy is flat out not ready for the NFL. He doesn't play special teams, he doesn't know the ins and outs of playing the RB position, he can't block, he doesn't follow blocks when running, honestly how is this even a discussion????

I hope this kid does put it all together to make a name for himself in the NFL in 2020... but he's as raw as they come, and he WILL get through waivers because no team is going to want to put the amount of time and effort into getting this guy up to NFL Speed while carrying him on their 53 man roster. You need guys who can contribute NOW if you're going to be on the 53, and Wade doesn't have the value to be kept on an active roster. Not by the Bills and not by any of the other 31 teams.

Wade is a a great story and a project who COULD become something worth while on a 53 man roster once he learns how to do all the things RBs need to know... but he's a developmental project. Time on our PS would be INVALUABLE, as we don't need to use up a PS spot for him, and then he gets time to learn with the rest of the guys and get reps in practice. If there was a farm system I'd say send him down, but since there isn't, the only thing for him is the PS.

People need to stop being so carried away... let's not forget Nathan Peterman statistically is one of the best QBs int he NFL right now during pre-season, but we all saw what a tire fire of a player he is against real NFL talent. 

Wade isn't ready, and wasting a roster spot on him is flat out stupid.

Thanks, Dad. Everyone here knows this. The only dispute is with your take. Perry & Yeldon also only play against opponents scrubs. Have they done anything remotely close to Wade?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Rocket94 said:

The Bills should be willing to be creative and explore all avenues to win. What do they have to lose. 

Games.... they have games to lose.... I thought we were in the business of winning games not experimenting with players new to football because "aww gee golly why not!" ... Uhh because putting a guy like that in is a huge liability. 

This is far and away the worst argument I've seen for Wade to make the team lol.

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Thanks, Dad. Everyone here knows this. The only dispute is with your take. Perry & Yeldon also only play against opponents scrubs. Have they done anything remotely close to Wade?

Wade is playing against lesser players and I have never made any argument that Yeldon had been anything better than a pile of ***** so don't put words in my mouth.

I said Murphy and Perry, both of whom have upside as special teams players, and Murphy as a RB has shown an ability to make plays, Perry has been lackluster.  But BOTH bring more to the table as players because of what they can do that Wade cant... special teams, blocking, and understanding the RB position.

If Wade was really moving up the depth chart, he'd be getting more important snaps. 

1 minute ago, MR8 said:

Games.... they have games to lose.... I thought we were in the business of winning games not experimenting with players new to football because "aww gee golly why not!" ... Uhh because putting a guy like that in is a huge liability. 

This is far and away the worst argument I've seen for Wade to make the team lol.

In the spirit of competition, Wade deserves a spot if he out performs others and earns it. So far he is doing a good job. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rocket94 said:

In the spirit of competition, Wade deserves a spot if he out performs others and earns it. So far he is doing a good job. 

I don't agree, you're focusing on 2 plays in 2 games rather than the whole body of work and you're entirely ignoring the "nitty-gritty" work the other guys are putting in on special teams which matters a ton to this coaching staff. 

They're being asked to do much more by playing with the 2nd team against better players, picking up blocking assignments, and then flip and play special teams.  Wade is being asked to do comparatively very little. 

3 minutes ago, MR8 said:

I don't agree, you're focusing on 2 plays in 2 games rather than the whole body of work and you're entirely ignoring the "nitty-gritty" work the other guys are putting in on special teams which matters a ton to this coaching staff. 

They're being asked to do much more by playing with the 2nd team against better players, picking up blocking assignments, and then flip and play special teams.  Wade is being asked to do comparatively very little. 

I know all of this already. This topic has been discussed all over the board. The way the Bills have been playing for the last 20 years, maybe I need rose colored glasses. 

23 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

Not necessarily.  Only if they use a regular PS spot.  If they use the special 11th spot, he is not exposed.  

Here’s the deal: If RB Christian Wade is signed to the Bills PS as an 11th member (exempt), he is ineligible to be picked up by another team. He also can be placed on the PS as one of 10 regular PS players therefore ELIGIBLE to be activated by the Bills or signed by another team

Waivers happen BEFORE practice squad. He has to clear waivers before he is placed on the practice squad, either as a normal designation or the exempt 11th spot.

People, this is all very easy to understand. I don't know why there is confusion. Wade has an exemption right now to be the 91st player on the 90 man roster. If he makes the 53 man roster, everything happens as for normal players. If he doesn't, he has to clear waivers just like anyone else. If he clears waivers he can be added to the normal 10 man practice squad who can be signed to an active roster OR be added as an exempted 11th man who can not be activated to an active roster.

I guess the question is if Wade makes the 53 and then gets cut and clears waivers, can he then be added as an 11th man to the practice squad. My guess would be no.

Too much emphasis is being placed on Wade’s two big plays in the two exhibition games. As spectacular as those plays were, they don’t inform the coaches anywhere near as much as every rep he’s taken from OTAs, to mini-camp, to now. Each rep has been captured on video and broken down in the class room in every respect to determine Wade’s improvement or not in every aspect of the game. While the two plays are nice, they are just not as useful as an evaluation tool as the full body of work to date. 

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Too much emphasis is being placed on Wade’s two big plays in the two exhibition games. As spectacular as those plays were, they don’t inform the coaches anywhere near as much as every rep he’s taken from OTAs, to mini-camp, to now. Each rep has been captured on video and broken down in the class room in every respect to determine Wade’s improvement or not in every aspect of the game. While the two plays are nice, they are just not as useful as an evaluation tool as the full body of work to date. 

That's your opinion. They play the games for a reason. One thing coaches look for are guys who can execute in a game-like atmosphere with live hitting and tackling. That's an important part of the evaluation process. There are plenty of guys who are awesome in practice but disappear during games. The coaches have to consider the full body of work, for sure, and a big part of that is the player's performance in actual games.

47 minutes ago, MJS said:

That's your opinion. They play the games for a reason. One thing coaches look for are guys who can execute in a game-like atmosphere with live hitting and tackling. That's an important part of the evaluation process. There are plenty of guys who are awesome in practice but disappear during games. The coaches have to consider the full body of work, for sure, and a big part of that is the player's performance in actual games.

It’s a fact. 

• Like (+1) 1

Buffalo Bills’ Christian Wade and the International Pathway Program: What fans needs to know

CAN CHRISTIAN WADE MAKE THE 53-MAN ROSTER AT THE END OF AUGUST?

Yes. If the Bills feel Wade is one of their best players, he can make the final roster on August 31.

IF RELEASED, DOES CHRISTIAN WADE HAVE TO GO THROUGH THE WAIVER PROCESS?

Some fans on social media thought that Wade would automatically be placed on the Bills’ practice squad if he was released during roster cuts. That is not the case. Wade has to clear waivers before being placed on Buffalo’s practice squad.

WHAT HAPPENS IF WADE IS CLAIMED BY ANOTHER TEAM AND IS LATER RELEASED?

If another team claims Wade to their 53-man roster and later releases the back, he reverts to Buffalo’s practice squad as the 11th member unless the team turns him down. He could then sign as a member of the Bills’ 10-man practice squad.

IF PLACED ON THE BILLS’ PRACTICE SQUAD USING THE 11TH INTERNATIONAL SPOT, CAN WADE PLAY THIS SEASON?

No. If Wade clears waivers and is put on the practice squad as the Bills’ 11th member he cannot suit up for the Bills in 2019.

CAN THE BILLS PUT WADE ON THEIR 10 MAN PRACTICE SQUAD AT THE END OF THE MONTH?

Yes. If the Bills feel Wade could contribute to the team this season, Buffalo can bypass using the 11th spot on the practice squad and simply sign Wade to their 10-man squad. This would allow Buffalo to promote him at any point during the 2019 season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Some fans on social media thought that Wade would automatically be placed on the Bills’ practice squad if he was released during roster cuts. That is not the case. Wade has to clear waivers before being placed on Buffalo’s practice squad.

Well its time to admit it 

I was wrong! 

or misdirected by the Fake Media reports  ;)   :lol: 

• Like (+1) 1

It can sometimes take a year or 2 for guys who have been playing football all their lives to get used to the NFL game, to expect someone who's never even played the game before to just step right in is ludicrous. 

5 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Anyone else remember another international RB in the 90's, who was an athletic freak and had no idea how to play the game? Played for the Chiefs.

Don't assume Wade has no shot at the 53... it's happened before.

If you're thinking of Christian Okoyo (sp) he did play some college football

5 minutes ago, bilzfancy said:

It can sometimes take a year or 2 for guys who have been playing football all their lives to get used to the NFL game, to expect someone who's never even played the game before to just step right in is ludicrous. 

If you're thinking of Christian Okoyo (sp) he did play some college football

Runningback is one of those positions where you don't really need to learn much.

Treat him like Gump. Just tell him to run.

The rest of that stuff is just gravy.

Look at Adrian Peterson. The guy still sucks at everything except running the ball.

Comparisons to Christian Okoye’s entrance to the league are odd. He was a second round pick for crissake. And a physical freak and a great all around athlete to boot. Never mind that he played college ball. Wade’s path couldn’t be more disparate. 

7 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

To me, given the clarifications, 10 Man PS is maybe the best option for Wade. 

I still think 11th PS is the most likely outcome. 

If they go the 10th PS route and some team tries to add him to their 53 we would have the chance to match or outbid them and then Wade would choose. I'd imagine he would stay but you never know. The opportunity elsewhere may be better for him.