Clarifying the Buffalo Bills roster status with running back Christian Wade

HOUSE

29 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Third  

The initial Player Allocation thread

Will Wade make the 53 

and this one   

and in all 3 ... there is no solid conclusion as to how he fits and when he hits wavers 

Needs a 4th thread...obviously

• Haha (+1) 1

Sal C said on WGR this morning that he IS SUBJECT TO WAIVERS 

What he is still looking into

1) if Bills use 11th exempt spot for him on PS, can another team still steal him and put on their 53 (he didn't think so as Bills wouldn't be able to elevate to their 53 so why could another team)?

2) Can the bills choose to use a regular PS spot on him (one of the 10 not exempt) so they can elevate him during the year

Edited by Mrbojanglezs
  • Like (+1) 1

I think people are forgetting that while Wade's two big plays are a nice story, in reality he is still a "babe in the woods" with respect to American football and no team in their right mind would put him into a regular season game in which he might botch the play call or miss a blocking responsibility.  Preseason is the perfect situation for him to learn.

When (not if) the Bills release Wade I can't imagine him being claimed by another NFL team to their active roster, and the Bills should certainly put him on their own PS in the exempt position, where he can learn for a year.

1 hour ago, MR8 said:

People need to pump the freaking breaks on this kid... he's making these big plays against guys who flat out WILL NOT be on 53 man rosters... and neither will he.

He's been fun to watch with 2 big plays, and I get it, he's a great story, but this guy is flat out not ready for the NFL. He doesn't play special teams, he doesn't know the ins and outs of playing the RB position, he can't block, he doesn't follow blocks when running, honestly how is this even a discussion????

I hope this kid does put it all together to make a name for himself in the NFL in 2020... but he's as raw as they come, and he WILL get through waivers because no team is going to want to put the amount of time and effort into getting this guy up to NFL Speed while carrying him on their 53 man roster. You need guys who can contribute NOW if you're going to be on the 53, and Wade doesn't have the value to be kept on an active roster. Not by the Bills and not by any of the other 31 teams.

Wade is a a great story and a project who COULD become something worth while on a 53 man roster once he learns how to do all the things RBs need to know... but he's a developmental project. Time on our PS would be INVALUABLE, as we don't need to use up a PS spot for him, and then he gets time to learn with the rest of the guys and get reps in practice. If there was a farm system I'd say send him down, but since there isn't, the only thing for him is the PS.

People need to stop being so carried away... let's not forget Nathan Peterman statistically is one of the best QBs int he NFL right now during pre-season, but we all saw what a tire fire of a player he is against real NFL talent. 

Wade isn't ready, and wasting a roster spot on him is flat out stupid.

Who else is making plays against guys that won't be on 53 man rosters? He can only take advantage of the opportunities he's given. If he did it against the #1's would you say it's only pre-season?

Speed and quickness don't care who the opposition is.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MR8 said:

People need to pump the freaking breaks on this kid... he's making these big plays against guys who flat out WILL NOT be on 53 man rosters... and neither will he.

He's been fun to watch with 2 big plays, and I get it, he's a great story, but this guy is flat out not ready for the NFL. He doesn't play special teams, he doesn't know the ins and outs of playing the RB position, he can't block, he doesn't follow blocks when running, honestly how is this even a discussion????

I hope this kid does put it all together to make a name for himself in the NFL in 2020... but he's as raw as they come, and he WILL get through waivers because no team is going to want to put the amount of time and effort into getting this guy up to NFL Speed while carrying him on their 53 man roster. You need guys who can contribute NOW if you're going to be on the 53, and Wade doesn't have the value to be kept on an active roster. Not by the Bills and not by any of the other 31 teams.

Wade is a a great story and a project who COULD become something worth while on a 53 man roster once he learns how to do all the things RBs need to know... but he's a developmental project. Time on our PS would be INVALUABLE, as we don't need to use up a PS spot for him, and then he gets time to learn with the rest of the guys and get reps in practice. If there was a farm system I'd say send him down, but since there isn't, the only thing for him is the PS.

People need to stop being so carried away... let's not forget Nathan Peterman statistically is one of the best QBs int he NFL right now during pre-season, but we all saw what a tire fire of a player he is against real NFL talent. 

Wade isn't ready, and wasting a roster spot on him is flat out stupid.

This is exactly right, let him learn the game while on the PS, it's crazy talk thinking he can play NFL football now

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Who else is making plays against guys that won't be on 53 man rosters? He can only take advantage of the opportunities he's given. If he did it against the #1's would you say it's only pre-season?

LOL it does matter when the guys who are! 3rd stringers are slower and lesser athletes.  Great he looks quick against guys who aren't quick, but the TERRIBLE tackling that led to his long reception isn't going to happen against better players.  Just like the blown assignments that opened a hole a Mack truck could run through won't happen like it did in week 1 of preseason.  Not to mention these teams aren't game planning. 

When the REAL NFL game plans are rolled out, and the top tier talent is on the field, it's an ENTIRELY different game.

Also please explain to me why this guy, who admits he knows next to nothing, he can't pass block, can't play special teams, and doesn't have the field vision to see his blocking down field and follow it  should make an NFL Roster ahead of Murphy or Perry who both add value to the roster and know how to do all of those things.

People get so wrapped up in a fun story they put blinders on to the TRUTH, this kid isn't ready for the NFL.  He's a fun preseason story, bit he is not ready for the real thing... 

We'll get a heavy dose of him in week 4, that'll be his super bowl, and I'm sure the hype factory will be in overdrive as he runs by guys who'll be bagging groceries come week 1 of the regular season... but being good against inferior competition doesn't make you worthy of beating out players who ARE NFL ready.

Finally for the first time in 2 decades we have a sound roster on defense top to bottom, and nice depth at a few positions with REAL battles going on for the offense... I love how "lunch pail Joe" is still the fan favorite instead of, you know, cheering for the best players to make it... 

Edited by MR8
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MR8 said:

Also please explain to me why this guy, who admits he knows next to nothing, he can't pass block, can't play special teams, and doesn't have the field vision to see his blocking down field and follow it  should make an NFL Roster ahead of Murphy or Perry who both add value to the roster and know how to do all of those things.

Yeldon, Murphy, and Perry might know how to do things that he can't - they just happen to be bad at them. None of those players have an ounce of untapped potential. They've hit their ceiling as fringe NFL talent. This kid hasn't even begun to scrape the surface. That's the difference. He was one of the best in the world in Rugby, and is showing how some of those skills translate to the NFL I'll take potential over proven mediocrity any day for a 4th string player. None of them are likely to play anyway, so why do you care so much?

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Exactly. Wade has been given an opportunity to try out for the NFL. In all fairness lets see how he progresses...focus on his positive traits. All of the nay sayers are voicing the same thing...like reading from a script. Some just don't want to believe that a rugby player can make the transition...its just a fluke. If he continues to out perform marginal NFL players then bring him on!

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Yeldon, Murphy, and Perry might know how to do things that he can't - they just happen to be bad at them. None of those players have an ounce of untapped potential. They've hit their ceiling as fringe NFL talent. This kid hasn't even begun to scrape the surface. That's the difference. He was one of the best in the world in Rugby, and is showing how some of those skills translate to the NFL I'll take potential over proven mediocrity any day for a 4th string player. None of them are likely to play anyway, so why do you care so much?

First off he's 28, he's not a "Kid" he's older than Yeldon and Perry, and he's the same age (2 months younger) than Murphy... so lets not pretend this guy is 22...  And lets also not pretend he doesn't have mileage, since he's been getting beaten up playing Rugby for the past 20 years of his life... 

I think you're falling in love with the story about what he did in Rugby and you're overlooking the fact that the 53 man roster is where players who can HELP YOUR TEAM go.  This guy can't help them in 2019, aside from sucking up a roster spot and riding the pine.  Do you really want a guy with 2 months of blocking experience picking up a blitzing LB on Allen's blind side?  Personally I think that's how you get your QB killed...

He's a fun story, and maybe in a year or so he'll have learned enough to translate those skills to the NFL Level, but right now, this kid is WAY behind the curve of understanding what he needs to do and where he needs to be on the field.  The PS is designed for players EXACTLY like him, putting him on the active roster is a waste of time and a waste of a roster spot.

The bottom "fringe" nfl players make up the bottom of rosters because they have value to their position and on special teams.  Wade has none yet... not as a RB and he doesn't play special teams.  They should try him out as a kick returner, except he doesn't know how to follow blocking...  He's just not ready, and him making it means someone else who DOES have the ability to help this team this year won't be on the roster.  And to me that's just stupid.  It would be the same as keeping an ULTRA project player like Tyree Jackson on the roster.  He too has "upside" you keep talking about, but he's SOOOOOO Freaking RAW.... just like Wade.  So should we keep em both?  Neither has any value this year, both are hugely developmental with high upside.... so they both should make it?  

No, they shouldn't, both are PS at best players at their current level of development. 

1 minute ago, Rocket94 said:

Exactly. Wade has been given an opportunity to try out for the NFL. In all fairness lets see how he progresses...focus on his positive traits. All of the nay sayers are voicing the same thing...like reading from a script.

No we just don't look with rose colored glasses, we use logic rather than getting wrapped up in a fun story.

We sound like we're reading from a script, you guys sound like you're reading from your diary:

"Dear Diary, Christian Wade is so dreamy..."

18 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Thank you.  From what I read on NFL.com, it sounded like the Bills could not put him on their 53-man roster this year.  I hope what you posted is correct.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MR8 said:

First off he's 28, he's not a "Kid" he's older than Yeldon and Perry, and he's the same age (2 months younger) than Murphy... so lets not pretend this guy is 22...  And lets also not pretend he doesn't have mileage, since he's been getting beaten up playing Rugby for the past 20 years of his life... 

I think you're falling in love with the story about what he did in Rugby and you're overlooking the fact that the 53 man roster is where players who can HELP YOUR TEAM go.  This guy can't help them in 2019, aside from sucking up a roster spot and riding the pine.  Do you really want a guy with 2 months of blocking experience picking up a blitzing LB on Allen's blind side?  Personally I think that's how you get your QB killed...

He's a fun story, and maybe in a year or so he'll have learned enough to translate those skills to the NFL Level, but right now, this kid is WAY behind the curve of understanding what he needs to do and where he needs to be on the field.  The PS is designed for players EXACTLY like him, putting him on the active roster is a waste of time and a waste of a roster spot.

The bottom "fringe" nfl players make up the bottom of rosters because they have value to their position and on special teams.  Wade has none yet... not as a RB and he doesn't play special teams.  They should try him out as a kick returner, except he doesn't know how to follow blocking...  He's just not ready, and him making it means someone else who DOES have the ability to help this team this year won't be on the roster.  And to me that's just stupid.  It would be the same as keeping an ULTRA project player like Tyree Jackson on the roster.  He too has "upside" you keep talking about, but he's SOOOOOO Freaking RAW.... just like Wade.  So should we keep em both?  Neither has any value this year, both are hugely developmental with high upside.... so they both should make it?  

No, they shouldn't, both are PS at best players at their current level of development. 

No we just don't look with rose colored glasses, we use logic rather than getting wrapped up in a fun story.

We sound like we're reading from a script, you guys sound like you're reading from your diary:

"Dear Diary, Christian Wade is so dreamy..."

It is not rose colored glasses...cut it out. The man deserves a chance if he earns it.  

3 minutes ago, MR8 said:

He's a fun story, and maybe in a year or so he'll have learned enough to translate those skills to the NFL Level, but right now, this kid is WAY behind the curve of understanding what he needs to do and where he needs to be on the field. 

How do you know this?  From the extensive game film?  Have you been at training camp?

3 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

Not necessarily.  Only if they use a regular PS spot.  If they use the special 11th spot, he is not exposed.  

Here’s the deal: If RB Christian Wade is signed to the Bills PS as an 11th member (exempt), he is ineligible to be picked up by another team. He also can be placed on the PS as one of 10 regular PS players therefore ELIGIBLE to be activated by the Bills or signed by another team

What Sal is referring to is after he clears waivers. He is referring to another team poaching him off of the PS, not the process he has to go through to get to the PS (Being cut by Bills and clearing waivers)

2 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

It is not rose colored glasses...cut it out. The man deserves a chance if he earns it.  

Lol yeah anyone deserves a chance if they earn it, and I'm telling you he hasn't! He doesn't have the technique, field vision, or versatility in skill set YET to be a viable NFL player.  He's little more than a fun story line.  

I'm not saying cut him and be done, put him on the PS, develop him, see if he can be a viable player in 2020, but right now he's more of a liability (Can't block, doesn't understand the position full, can't play special teams, doesn't read the field to follow his blocks) and a waste of a roster spot than anything else.  

It's absolutely "Rose Colored Glasses".... 

1 minute ago, MR8 said:

Lol yeah anyone deserves a chance if they earn it, and I'm telling you he hasn't! He doesn't have the technique, field vision, or versatility in skill set YET to be a viable NFL player.  He's little more than a fun story line.  

I'm not saying cut him and be done, put him on the PS, develop him, see if he can be a viable player in 2020, but right now he's more of a liability (Can't block, doesn't understand the position full, can't play special teams, doesn't read the field to follow his blocks) and a waste of a roster spot than anything else.  

It's absolutely "Rose Colored Glasses".... 

The Bills should be willing to be creative and explore all avenues to win. What do they have to lose.