Clarifying the Buffalo Bills roster status with running back Christian Wade

HOUSE

1 hour ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

So according to this he will need to pass through waivers. 

Likely landing spot would be Jacksonville where the head coach thinks he is a genius. JMO

It's probably a good thing i'm not the GM because i'd put Wade on the active roster & boot Yeldon & Perry off the roster instead.

Wade has done far more with his limited opportunities than those 2 have. Not to mention not making the mistakes those 2 other "more experienced" players have made.

As a coach you ask your players to do their best & so far Wade has just looked better. I'd be tempted to find a spot for him in the backfield & try him in the return game like others have suggested.

Won't happen of course but thats what i'd do :P

Edited by brianthomas
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

No chance he makes the roster and no chance another team claims him.  He’ll be on the PS 

What happens if they play him in games 3 or 4 and he breaks off another 50+ yard play? I have to believe a team would claim him.

Perhaps Wade is too green and that's why we haven't seen him on ST or getting touches with the ones or twos. Perhaps McD is trying to stash him and we won't see much of him again. 

Edited by VW82

11 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

If he clears waivers, the Bills can put him on the Practice Squad and receive an exemption for him there (he does not count against the practice squad limit of 10.  Once placed on the Bills' practice squad he CANNOT be signed to anybody's 53 man roster, including the Bills.

He does not need to clear waivers.  

"International Player Pathway Program FAQ: Wont cutting him to put him on the Practice Squad expose him to waivers? Through the IPPP we will not expose him to waivers and we will have him on our practice squad as the 11th man."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

He does not need to clear waivers.  

"International Player Pathway Program FAQ: Wont cutting him to put him on the Practice Squad expose him to waivers? Through the IPPP we will not expose him to waivers and we will have him on our practice squad as the 11th man."

Do you have a link?

12 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

So you cant add him to the active roster.... But if a team tries to sign him off our practice squad can we add him to our active roster then?

He can't be added to anybody's active roster if Buffalo puts him on their PS as the 11th player.  At least that's my understanding.

5 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Marrone is the kind of coach willing to gamble. Oakland is the same way.

I'd love to see the kid get scooped up.  Would be a great story for the NFL.  Frankly, I'd love for the Bills to keep him right on the 53 and go into the season with Gore, Singletary and Wade.

• Like (+1) 2

@HOUSE

Valiant attempt but from what I have encountered in the other posts trying to explain this 

it’s futile. 

1. Wade can make the 53

2. Wade can make the PS as the 11th and protected player (can’t be claimed) 

3. If Wade makes the PS he becomes an UFA in 2020

Or simply 

4. Wade can be cut where he can be claimed off of waivers 

and the Pats will steal him 

And yes I’m sure I missed some minutiae 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

@HOUSE

Valiant attempt but from what I have encountered in the other posts trying to explain this 

it’s futile. 

If Wade breaks another long run, all bets are off

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

If Wade breaks another long run, all bets are off

Imo hes earned a look in games vs better defenders.  Put him in with Barkley.  Give him 3 to 4 plays.  He continues to make plays he might earn a package for the regular season.

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

Yes he can be placed on an active roster but he counts against the final 53

Yes he can be stashed on the PS and he is untouchable for the full season but he also can not be called up for the season.

Next year he is a basically a FA trying to make the team and he can no longer be protected. 

Lets see, $10K per week on PS...times 16 games.   I wonder if that compares to what he made as a rugby pro?

31 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

@HOUSE

it’s futile. 

1. Wade can make the 53

2. Wade can make the PS as the 11th and protected player (can’t be claimed) 

3. If Wade makes the PS he becomes an UFA in 2020

Or simply 

4. Wade can be cut where he can be claimed off of waivers 

and the Pats will steal him 

And yes I’m sure I missed some minutiae 

We still haven't figured out if Terry Pegula can own the Bills and the Sabres.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, scribo said:

Click the link. The original poster did the right thing providing the link and not stealing the author's work.

He very much could’ve given the relevant info and linked for more instead of a multi paragraph teaser. 

In fact he likely included enough to violate terms, while still not sharing the info. Worst of both worlds.