Clarifying the Buffalo Bills roster status with running back Christian Wade

Image result for christian wade nfl

Yahoo! Sports

Can Wade make the Bills’ roster?

By Matt Warren Aug 18, 2019, 11:45am EDT
  •  

Christian Wade has taken over the NFL highlight reels in his first two games playing professional football. The Buffalo Bills were assigned Wade as part of the NFL’s International Pathway Program, and with that come some roster limitations. With the rumors flying around and his strong play, we felt the need to clarify.

Wade scored a 65-yard touchdown on his first NFL carry in Week 1 of the preseason against the Indianapolis Colts. The second time he touched the ball was the following week against the Carolina Panthers, where he took a Tyree Jackson swing pass 48 yards to the goal line.

Needless to say, folks were pumped. So much so that they suggested Wade might be on the 53-man roster.

Let’s set aside the subjective for now and discuss the actual roster limitations of the International Pathway Program. Wade left Wasps RFC in October of 2018 in preparation for the move to the NFL. As a member of the program, Buffalo gets an extra spot for Wade on their offseason roster. They also receive an extra spot on the practice squad during the season for Wade, but once he’s on the practice squad he can’t be promoted to the active roster.

There is some gray area here, though.(open link)

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2019/8/18/20810950/clarifying-the-buffalo-bills-roster-status-with-running-back-christian-wade

Edited by HOUSE
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, scribo said:

Click the link. The original poster did the right thing providing the link and not stealing the author's work.

Will do when I get the chance. I was just kidding around.

Edited by Turk71
  • Haha (+1) 1

OK - not being a legal expert, it sounds like Wade could be retained if on the active roster.

Or he can be retained on the PS, but in a way that prevents him from being activated during this season. What about next season?

Also, I would assume he would be protected while on the PS from being acquired by another team (one would think that kind of move would be blocked or it would turn into a meaningless paper shuffle as teams could not promote him to active roster).

1 minute ago, WideNine said:

OK - not being a legal expert, it sounds like Wade could be retained if on the active roster.

Or he can be retained on the PS, but in a way that prevents him from being activated during this season. What about next season?

Also, I would assume he would be protected while on the PS from being acquired by another team (one would think that kind of move would be blocked or it would turn into a meaningless paper shuffle as teams could not promote him to active roster).

If he makes it to the PS, I think he's safe. Another team can't promote him to their 53.

I think he'll clear waivers and be on the Bills' PS until next year.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Yes he can be placed on an active roster but he counts against the final 53

Yes he can be stashed on the PS and he is untouchable for the full season but he also can not be called up for the season.

Next year he is a basically a FA trying to make the team and he can no longer be protected. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Can Wade make the Bills’ roster?

By Matt Warren Aug 18, 2019, 11:45am EDT

Christian Wade has taken over the NFL highlight reels in his first two games playing professional football. The Buffalo Bills were assigned Wade as part of the NFL’s International Pathway Program, and with that come some roster limitations. With the rumors flying around and his strong play, we felt the need to clarify.

Wade scored a 65-yard touchdown on his first NFL carry in Week 1 of the preseason against the Indianapolis Colts. The second time he touched the ball was the following week against the Carolina Panthers, where he took a Tyree Jackson swing pass 48 yards to the goal line.

Needless to say, folks were pumped. So much so that they suggested Wade might be on the 53-man roster.

Let’s set aside the subjective for now and discuss the actual roster limitations of the International Pathway Program. Wade left Wasps RFC in October of 2018 in preparation for the move to the NFL. As a member of the program, Buffalo gets an extra spot for Wade on their offseason roster. They also receive an extra spot on the practice squad during the season for Wade, but once he’s on the practice squad he can’t be promoted to the active roster.

There is some gray area here, though.

Christian Wade is not going to make the Buffalo Bills roster. Point blank. Period.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2019/8/18/20810950/clarifying-the-buffalo-bills-roster-status-with-running-back-christian-wade

He won’t make the final 53 but he’s a lock for the PS  considering that they get a free spot for him.  

• Like (+1) 2

What I don't get is why they haven't been trying him out as a punt returner. And, to my knowledge, he hasn't been playing special teams, either.

There's no way they keep an RB4 on the main roster who can't play special teams. Even if they did, it would be Yeldon.

I like Wade and I'm enjoying his story as much as the next fan, but he needs to be on the practice squad at best.

• Like (+1) 1

My summary:

The Bills have a roster exemption now for Wade.

They CAN add him to the 53 man roster where he would count against the roster limit.

If they waive him in the cutdown to 53, any other team can sign him to their 53 man roster.

If he clears waivers, the Bills can put him on the Practice Squad and receive an exemption for him there (he does not count against the practice squad limit of 10.  Once placed on the Bills' practice squad he CANNOT be signed to anybody's 53 man roster, including the Bills.

If he makes somebody's 53 man roster and later gets cut, he can be signed to anybody's practice squad.

The gray area covers that last scenario and the Bills are the team that signs him to their practice squad after being on somebody's 53 man roster.  It is unknown whether or not Buffalo would be a practice squad exemption for him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It appears the author is not fully certain on some details either. I have read several conflicting accounts to include this one. Wouldn’t you think the Bills or the NFL would spend a moment to post the regulations concerning pathway system?

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1