The Top 100 Buffalo Bills of All Time

Sal Maiorana of the Democrat and Chronicle releases his list of the top 100 players in Bills history.  I can’t think of a better person to put this list together.  Sal grew up as a fan in Buffalo and then started covering the Bills in the late 80’s as they went on their Super Bowl run.  So essentially he’s been following the team the majority of his life.

I am sure this list will spark some fun debate!

Not an easy task to do that, and it should generate a lot of discussion, debate, and criticism, but overall a pretty good job.

Mostly I'm disappointed not to see Tom Day on that list. I'd obviously move around several of the guys here and there, but he hit most of them.

2 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

The names are pretty spot on. The order in which they're in is debatable. Didn't see Takeo Spikes on there. Maybe I missed it, he should be though.

Yeah I also thought it was interesting to see players like Josh Reed and Roscoe Parrish on the list but not a Don Beebe 

And then you have very menial players like Mark Pike, Trey Teague, Chris Kelsey on the list who I don’t believe belong there.

I think anything last the Top 25 players gets really tough

Can't argue with the number #1 spot.  Perhaps I'm biased based on my avatar but I'd put Steve Christie ahead of Shady McCoy.

Nice to see Leodis "My Man" get some respect.  I know a certain fumble haunts him but overall he was a solid Bill for 8 or 9 years.  

Just now, Another Fan said:

Can't argue with the number #1 spot.  Perhaps I'm biased based on my avatar but I'd put Steve Christie ahead of Shady McCoy.

Nice to see Leodis "My Man" get some respect.  I know a certain fumble haunts him but overall he was a solid Bill for 8 or 9 years.  

1-3 are hard because I think that Kelly’s grit and toughness epitomized Buffalo and meant more to the Franchise.  But I do think that as a player OJ Simpson should be given considering above Kelly only because he was the best running back in football.  Now OJ and Bruce are tough.  Both men were game

changers and transformational players

2 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Ditto on McKelvin.  I loved the guy.

• Like (+1) 1

It was an interesting list. Obviously impossible to quantify. I go back to the early 60's with the team and what jumped out at me was that George Saimes was too low. In my opinion, he was the best safety in the history of the franchise. He may have been one of the greatest tacklers in NFL history. Those Bills defenses with Sestak, McDole, Dunaway, Day, Stratton, Jacobs, Saimes, Byrd and Edgerton et al were outstanding.

Saimes is on the Bills Wall of fame for a reason. There is no way he should be in the 40's in the rankings. Just my 2 cents

Edited by BubbaT

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Ditto on McKelvin.  I loved the guy.

Personally or as a player?  I think he was a serviceable #2 CB but that he never quite lived up to his 1st round selection.  He never had better ball skills.  He was always stride for stride with a receiver and in good position but couldn’t make a play on the ball.  Only had 1-2 INT’s most years despite being picked on quite frequently. 

20 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Yeah I also thought it was interesting to see players like Josh Reed and Roscoe Parrish on the list but not a Don Beebe 

And then you have very menial players like Mark Pike, Trey Teague, Chris Kelsey on the list who I don’t believe belong there.

I think anything last the Top 25 players gets really tough

He should definitely be on this list without question. It's not always about the numbers. The guys heart was as big as Rich Stadium.

2 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

No Jack Kemp, or did I miss it?

Tom Day and Ron McDole

Strictly for entertainment value, "Dangerous" Dan McGrew (and his many snaps over the punter's head)

Kemp was #36

4 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

He should definitely be on this list without question. It's not always about the numbers. The guys heart was as big as Rich Stadium.

Kemp was #36

Yeah agree.  These types of lists are always subjective but that's crazy Beebe wasn't on it.  Ditto Frank Reich imo 

Now that I went through that list again Norwood wasn't on it.  Think he deserved a spot somewhere.  

10 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Personally or as a player?  I think he was a serviceable #2 CB but that he never quite lived up to his 1st round selection.  He never had better ball skills.  He was always stride for stride with a receiver and in good position but couldn’t make a play on the ball.  Only had 1-2 INT’s most years despite being picked on quite frequently. 

As a player and personally.  I think he was a very good CB.  His weakness was that he didn't turn around to look for the ball.  But he covered guys like glue.  And his return game was solid, as well.