Lions don't want Stafford hurt in preseason (Maybe sits till Sept)

Boca BIlls

I was wondering today if the Lions would sit Stafford b.c of this defense. Vanilla and wrecking ***** in preseason. HC Patricia hinted in an interview to just sitting him all preseason today.

Panthers didn't want Newton to play against the Bills defense after seeing practice. 

Bills must have the most feared preseason defense in history.

• Haha (+1) 5

54 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

I was wondering today if the Lions would sit Stafford b.c of this defense. Vanilla and wrecking ***** in preseason. HC Patricia hinted in an interview to just sitting him all preseason today.

Panthers didn't want Newton to play against the Bills defense after seeing practice. 

Bills must have the most feared preseason defense in history.

Weve graduated from winning the offseason to winning the preseason 

26 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Don’t most “entrenched” starting QB’s sit out for preseason games?

I feel like used they play a quarter or two in game 3.

seems like that has changed. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Used to be like this:

game 1- start the first quarter

game 2- start the first half

game 3- start the first half and first drive in 3rd quarter 

game 4- maybe play the first series if not pulled before that

its all fine and dandy that these teams don’t want their quarterbacks to get hurt In meaningless games. But they’ll be pissed when they start out 0-2 in the regular season because their starting offense isn’t a cohesive unit. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Didn't Atlanta's Matt Ryan play in their game with the Jets?  He's a pretty entrenched starter.

1 minute ago, TigerJ said:

Didn't Atlanta's Matt Ryan play in their game with the Jets?  He's a pretty entrenched starter.

Yeah he played.  I suppose I should have said “some” and not “most” in my initial post.  I see no point in guys like Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, or Rodgers playing in the preseason.  

Saving him for the playoffs.  (cue Jim Mora GIF)

EDIT:  Based upon some of the ‘irrational exuberance’ exhibited by many fan bases, perhaps those second and third string / shopping cart jockeys DO need to face first string opposition during preseason games.  Preseason phenoms could be better revealed for what they are.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

2 hours ago, mrags said:

Used to be like this:

game 1- start the first quarter

game 2- start the first half

game 3- start the first half and first drive in 3rd quarter 

game 4- maybe play the first series if not pulled before that

its all fine and dandy that these teams don’t want their quarterbacks to get hurt In meaningless games. But they’ll be pissed when they start out 0-2 in the regular season because their starting offense isn’t a cohesive unit. 

I agree... Thats the dilemma.  Sit the starters and no injuries... But on young teams, especially, you need to build cohesion and timing. I think you need to be smart with the playing time and expectations.  But I'm also glad to see that most of our key starters are getting a lot of playing time together in camp and the preseason games.   Sure it's an injury risk.  But, its the best way to ensure the team is ready to go for week 1.  And when you start week 1 on the road with a divisional opponent, I think you need to ready for that game and not still figuring out your starting line or how your WR breaks a route off, etc.  

It seems coaches are finally wising up to not playing your valuable players in preseason.  Nagy sat basically his 1st string offense and defense in the Bears 2nd preseason game. Throw the old conventional wisdom of playing time for starters out the window.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Preseason football means nothing in general.

Basically a waste of time. 

Tell that to the 37 players who don't make it onto their respective NFL teams' regular season rosters.  Every coach in the NFL values preseason to some extent.  Perhaps four games is too many, but it is not a "waste of time" to anyone except fans who only care about the stars and no-doubt starters.

5 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yeah he played.  I suppose I should have said “some” and not “most” in my initial post.  I see no point in guys like Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, or Rodgers playing in the preseason.  

I guess there's a lot more to gain by giving their backups, especially inexperienced ones, looks at starting defenses.