Receiver competition with two games left

Shaw66

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

At the time he signed with Buffalo there were reports that several teams wanted him. Why?  Because for the last couple of years he caughtt virtually every ball that came his way.  Like the touchdown the other night.  That's what he does.  

I don't remember reading that, but i will take your word for it. Do you remember which teams?

If you consider that the offense has specific roles then you might see it this way 

speed guys:

brown backed up by Foster.  Roberts probably factors in here too.  Might make Foster expendable for this spot.  

slot guys

cole and ?

McKenzie and RayRay probably are the only guys here

possession wr with versatility:

zay and ?

not sure Duke is fast enough, Roberts and Foster not good enough route tree, not sure McKenzie or Ray work here. 

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

In terms if backs and receivers to be honest my thinking hasn't really changed since the start of camp. 

Di Marco will make it, plus Shady, Gore and Singletary. 

Then the 6 receivers will be Brown, Beasley, Foster, Jones, McKenzie and Roberts. 

This is precisely where I'm at. And I think Ray-Ray is more likely to make it than Duke for that final spot (if they decide not to keep McKenzie) simply because we need someone that can at least try to fill Beasley's role whenever he's tired/banged up.

To me, Duke's only chances of making the roster are if we keep 7 WRs or if one of Zay/Foster is surprisingly cut.

• Like (+1) 1

Beasley 

Brown

Foster

Roberts

Williams

Mckenzie

thats who I have making WR

Kroft PUP-Croom will keep his spot warm

Sweeney

Knox

Smith 

Our TEs

both positions are light years ahead of last season 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

If you consider that the offense has specific roles then you might see it this way 

speed guys:

brown backed up by Foster.  Roberts probably factors in here too.  Might make Foster expendable for this spot.  

slot guys

cole and ?

McKenzie and RayRay probably are the only guys here

possession wr with versatility:

zay and ?

not sure Duke is fast enough, Roberts and Foster not good enough route tree, not sure McKenzie or Ray work here. 

I will admit that I often think of it this way, too, but I'm not sure it's correct.  

Speed guys, definitely.  Brown, Foster.  Roberts.  McKenzie could be there, maybe McCloud. 

Beyond speed, I don't this think there are categories.  I think you take your best receivers and make them work.  Almost all of them can play the slot, if necessary and if they can run routes.  Foster probably not.  But all the others can. 

After speed, I think it's route running, hands and blocking.  Special teams is a consideration. That's why I've always suspected it's Duke over Zay.  Same category of guy, but I think Duke is likely better.  Also, as I've been saying, I think Zay can be traded. 

Another factor: the more Roberts emerges as a receivee, the less you want to use him as a punt returner.  That makes McKenzie more valuable to the team. If McKenzie has good enough deep speed, then Foster is at risk.  Foster might also be tradeable.  

Finally, I think this week is a showcase game.  The guy who gets a lot of targets and catches may be the guy who gets traded.  I'd say Foster, Jones and Williams are the trade bait.  I doubt the Bills can keep all of them, and getting a pick for one would be good. 

22 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I haven't seen the games, so I know less than most.  

Beasley, Brown and Roberts seem like the only locks.  We saw very little of Jones and Foster recently.  McKenzie, Ray Ray and Williams each has had some highlights.   Of those 5, some may useful special teamers.  Some may have modest trade value.  Jones and Foster have the best experience.

Is it a total muddle?  

And for that matter, the running back spots are confused, too, principally because Wade keeps making big plays.  Does he actually have a shot at the 53?  Will he take Yeldon's spot?  Does Yeldon actually HAVE a spot?

Jones is a lock IMHO

1 hour ago, Tenhigh said:

I don't remember reading that, but i will take your word for it. Do you remember which teams?

No.  The reports were, I think, that several teams, like 4 or 5, were interested, and I think one or two were named.  It was clear he had choices.  At the time it seemed like he picked the team with the weakest receiving corps. It was January, I think.  Then the Bills signed Beasley and Brown and suddenly he was in a battle.  

Still, I think he is a special talent.  I hope he sticks. 

21 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I'm completely over Zay at this point. Don't care who it is, but someone should be over him. I'm thinking Zay has to have trade value still though.

The Giants would give a higher pick than most  considering their decimated WR corps... or, more accurately, corpse. 

4 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

This is probably accurate.  We need a WR to fill in for Beasley if/when necessary.

Yes actually I am.

There were several teams interested in his services.

I do wonder if Foster or McKenzie could be temporary slot options were something to happen to Beasley

3 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Foster really improved on hit route running at the end of last season.  I think McKenzie would see time in the slot you really need a twitchy WR in the slot.

Yeah I agree.

2 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

This is probably accurate.  We need a WR to fill in for Beasley if/when necessary.

Yes actually I am.

There were several teams interested in his services.

You are 10000% correct imo. Slot WR role is integral to this offense. I’m not sure there is another guy on the roster that is even close to playing the slot with 5 option routes at the top of the break based on reads and staying in synch with the QB. 

I can only think on a couple league wide. 

5 are a lock. It comes down to Ray Ray vs. McKenzie vs. Duke. 

To me, Ray Ray and McKenzie do not add a unique skillset to our stable of receivers. Duke showed on Tuesday something we otherwise do not have on the roster. That said, Ray Ray is a draft pick, and McKenzie has performed. Gonna be a tough call. 

I think last roster spot goes to Ray Ray, McKenzie or Duke. I would take McKenzie over Ray Ray. As between McKenzie and Duke its a toss up. it will partly depend on what parts of the playbook the OC plans to run with, and the fact that McKenzie offers some versatility. Both players have strengths and limitations. On the negative side of things if his ball security is still considered in any way a liability that is a big problem for McKenzie.  In Duke's case I don't know that he has shown much appetite or ability in blocking despite his frame and he doesn't (or hasn't) played ST to my knowledge. That means his "strengths" have to be considered exceptionally strong if he is to make it. He has shown decent hands and tracking ability - a couple of slants and his TD vs the Panthers. I was interested to see whether he could be effective at least in deep intermediate zones since the long ball was a big part of his game in Canada. Barkley had one 35 yard attempt to him that fell a few yards out of bounds. Thing is what looked to be something less than a starting calibre LB was with him pretty much step for step all the way. Also his QB in Canada threw a very receiver friendly ball. Not sure Josh always does the same, not to mention he really hasn't had the chance to develop any chemistry with the starting QB, at least so far.

He apparently was called out by Coach for dogging it in practice. If so that's not a good sign. 

I think his performance in the next two preseason games (and in the practices) will go a long ways in deciding whether he makes it or not. He's still very much in the running IMO, partly because although there is a lot of competition for that spot its not really at a high level. I don't recall there being a lot of interest in him coming out of Canada. If he doesn't make the Bills I think he will be plying his trade again in Canada. I don't really see him as a candidate for the PS. Either he makes the roster or he is gone.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Decent ?    He drops balls that are routinely caught by 10 year olds in the neighborhood playing 5 on 5 football 

Yes, decent.  He hasn't been what you want from that high of a pick, but he's decent.  You know who agrees with me so far?  The organization.  So, all you armchair GMs enjoy yourselves.  ??‍♂️

6 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Yes, decent.  He hasn't been what you want from that high of a pick, but he's decent.  You know who agrees with me so far?  The organization.  So, all you armchair GMs enjoy yourselves.  ??‍♂️

John Brown and Cole Beasley say hello ?? 

4 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

John Brown and Cole Beasley say hello ?? 

Yep, and who is in the starting lineup with them? Hmmm?  Like I said, decent.   And I never said they couldn't do better.   But the narrative that Jones does nothing right, ever, is asinine.

Edited by purple haze
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 8/18/2019 at 9:17 AM, ddaryl said:

A-hole!  I think some of you actually like looking at that freak.

6 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

I think last roster spot goes to Ray Ray, McKenzie or Duke. I would take McKenzie over Ray Ray. As between McKenzie and Duke its a toss up. it will partly depend on what parts of the playbook the OC plans to run with, and the fact that McKenzie offers some versatility. Both players have strengths and limitations. On the negative side of things if his ball security is still considered in any way a liability that is a big problem for McKenzie.  In Duke's case I don't know that he has shown much appetite or ability in blocking despite his frame and he doesn't (or hasn't) played ST to my knowledge. That means his "strengths" have to be considered exceptionally strong if he is to make it. He has shown decent hands and tracking ability - a couple of slants and his TD vs the Panthers. I was interested to see whether he could be effective at least in deep intermediate zones since the long ball was a big part of his game in Canada. Barkley had one 35 yard attempt to him that fell a few yards out of bounds. Thing is what looked to be something less than a starting calibre LB was with him pretty much step for step all the way. Also his QB in Canada threw a very receiver friendly ball. Not sure Josh always does the same, not to mention he really hasn't had the chance to develop any chemistry with the starting QB, at least so far.

He apparently was called out by Coach for dogging it in practice. If so that's not a good sign. 

I think his performance in the next two preseason games (and in the practices) will go a long ways in deciding whether he makes it or not. He's still very much in the running IMO, partly because although there is a lot of competition for that spot its not really at a high level. I don't recall there being a lot of interest in him coming out of Canada. If he doesn't make the Bills I think he will be plying his trade again in Canada. I don't really see him as a candidate for the PS. Either he makes the roster or he is gone.

I saw Duke on a coverage team vs Carolina.   It was the one where McCloud made the tackle.

Edited by ColeB
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Well, we have Brown who is potentially a legit #1, and we have Beasley who is definitely a legit slot receiver. Then we have Roberts who is a legit kick/punt returner. After that we are deep in average WRs. What good does that really do us to keep so many?

I keep reading about how deep we are at RB. But, in all honesty, Shady is a legitimate concern coming off his worst season, and showing less speed, and agility. Gore is 36, and Singletary is a rookie. I would be surprised if we didn't keep four RBs. And, we'll have a minimum of three TEs. Four would not surprise me there, either. Either way, seven WRs seems highly unlikely to me.

Guys like Foster, McKenzie, McCloud and D'haquille have the potential to develop into above-average receivers. The Bills have invested in those players already - it would be tough to let them go then see another team benefit with the fruits of Buffalo's labor. Especially when (not if) one or more of our top 5 receivers go down with injury.