Receiver competition with two games left

Shaw66

Just now, without a drought said:

Duke has no trade value.

I think he probably does.  Other teams wanted him, and he was good enough to make the Bills before they got Beasley and Brown.  

If the Bills traded for a UDFA center who never played center in college, someone will trade for five-star recruit who started at Auburn and  led the CFL in receiving.  

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I think he probably does.  Other teams wanted him, and he was good enough to make the Bills before they got Beasley and Brown.  

If the Bills traded for a UDFA center who never played center in college, someone will trade for five-star recruit who started at Auburn and  led the CFL in receiving.  

I think Duke would fit nicely in Pittsburg.

On 8/18/2019 at 11:01 PM, Patrick_Duffy said:

Yes, Duke has caught everything thrown to him for the most part, alllllll the way in those CFL days. In any event, yeah disagree, to me I think he will bring more to the table than Zay, hands down (no pun intended).

CFLor NFL, catching the ball is catching the ball and at least IMO he does it a lot better than Zay

Coming from someone who watches a lot of CFL, last year Edmonton Eskimos offence lived off of if was a broken play throw it in the general area of Duke and he went got it in traffic, through contact, etc. He is a catching machine and was relieved when I found out that he was leaving the CFL. And he will not make it to the practice roster. 

Edited by Engelwood

I’m thinking Williams catches the pass that Jones dropped at the two yard line, and likely goes in for six, I think he would have caught most of the passes Jones dropped last season, Williams has much better hands, and is better with contested catches than Jones. That said I am not rooting against Jones, I would be very happy if he fixes the drops and becomes a serious weapon on the team. 

Go  Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 2

On 8/18/2019 at 10:22 AM, DJB said:

Personally I have McKenzie ahead of both Duke and Ray Ray. Of the 3 Ray appears 3rd in line for me after Duke and McKenzie.  

My guess is we keep 6 WR

Brown 

Beasley

Zay

Foster

Roberts 

McKenzie 

This...

Bills keep 6.  Foster, Roberts, McKenzie and now Zay are all working in on STs. Ray Ray has been less than impressive. If they keep Ray Ray it’s 100% all about because they drafted him. He’s done nothing in 2 years.

On 8/20/2019 at 7:01 PM, Mat68 said:

The wild card is still Wade.  He made the 2 best plays of the Bill's preseason thus far.  The whole mantra McDermott spouts that spots are earned in games, no one has made the most of their opportunities then Wade.  I think Wade earned the reps after Singletary.  Give him a larger role in preseason game 3.  See what he does vs better competition.

I agree. Put Wade in with the 2nd stringers, may be even with the 1st team and see how he plays against  NFL starters/backups. I hope Wade starts the game #4 as others are likely to sit out.

On 8/18/2019 at 11:23 AM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Yeldon is toast.

I sure hope they keep Wade on the 53. I think there is a reasonably good chance (50/50) Gore is cut or McCoy is traded or possibly cut. 

Where exactly has John Brown been? I believe he has two targets and 1 catch in two pre-season games with a goose egg in the last game. I'm sure his spot is safe, but he has seen very little action. I didn't think it was possible at first but I just don't see the value in keeping Zay Jones. He's being consistently outplayed or at least matched by guys drafted much lower than him. If he were not a high draft pick it wouldn't even be a debate about whether he would be cut or not. Maybe they try work a trade for him as it is likely another team could see value in him still and think they can get more out of him. Maybe Washington or the New York Giants? Send Washington Zay and a 2nd rounder for Trent Williams?

I don’t think John Brown played in the last preseason game

7 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Willingness my ass. He’s in danger of losing his job and it’s desperation time.

This team needs to move forward and put the best men on the field. The time is now for Jones to step it up. His 2nd round status is wearing rather thin.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Wade is awesome, but his inexperience will ultimately be his downfall.

Its tough to give a roster spot to someone who hasn’t ever endured through 16 weeks of straight football, or anything close to it, like CFB or Canadian. 

I dont think you consider rostering Wade with the expectation of an every down back.  If he continues to make plays, and shows that same ability vs better competition you have to consider it.  The 4th rb behind McCoy, Gore, and Singeltary is going to have slim pickings anyways.  Having a guy who can run a gadget play ie designed swing passes and toss sweeps with big play ability, could make sense.

14 hours ago, BUNCH OF MULARKEY said:

Looks like Zay may be just eeking out a roster spot.   McDermott referenced his willingness to take on a special teams role 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/bills-mcdermott

Yep. On a similar note:

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-today-sean-mcdermott-sees-advantage-to-different-offensive-line-combinatio

Excerpts:

Jones has been put into a spot where coaches are asking more of him on offense and even a role on special teams.

Jones said after practice on Wednesday that he hasn’t had game reps on special teams the way he’s had them this preseason. The biggest challenge for Jones has been learning a new set of skills.

Edited by WhoTom

On 8/18/2019 at 8:26 AM, Mrbojanglezs said:

Am I crazy for wanting Duke on the team over Zay? Duke looks like he has way better hands for contested catches over the middle. 

No you're not. Duke would make a very good RZ threat. Zay is just too inconsistent. I also like McKenzie over McCloud. Beasley and Brown will get the lion's share of targets. Roberts on returns will be fun to watch. 

• Like (+1) 2