Shaw66

My list:

Brown

Beasley

Foster

McKittrick

Williams

Roberts

YEAH, I SEDDIT!  Bye-Bye Zay-Zay and Ray-Ray!  Hopefully I can trade Zay for a 5th rounder, but he's been outplayed by everyone on this list.  We need Williams for the size alone.  Roberts is clearly our PR, KR guy, with McKittrick as backup.  Maybe I try to get Ray-Ray on the PS, but I have had enough of Zay Jones, so I'm saying when. 

• Like (+1) 3

On 8/18/2019 at 3:06 PM, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

I wasn't referring to you, actually.  I'm a big fan of your posts.  I should have quoted others.  My bad.  That being said, I think Foster is an absolute lock.  For an UDFA to have contributed as much as he did last year, and then to all of a sudden just throw him to the curb... doesn't make sense to me.

I think it makes far more sense than throwing a 2nd round pick to the curb, especially one that that this entire regime from Pegula on down has backed numerous times. Zay is going to get three years to prove himself. 

I like Robert Foster a lot, but to assume that he's safe and Zay Jones isn't, especially when Zay was still our leading wide receiver last year despite all of the late season Foster hype, it just doesn't make sense to me. I'd love to keep them all, plus McKenzie. Good problem to have, I guess, but I think people are overrating Foster if they think he's a lock. A UDFA with under 600 career yards that can't shine in preseason isn't a lock now that there's depth.

Edited by Nelius

17 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

This is probably accurate.  We need a WR to fill in for Beasley if/when necessary.

Totally. It's got to be McKenzie.

The sad reality for seemingly everyone is that Duke is probably getting cut. Most realistic scenario seems to be Zay, Foster, and McKenzie stay, while Duke and Ray Ray get cut. Here's hoping Duke uses these next two games to make it impossible. Preseason whatever, his TD was beautiful and nobody else on the roster is making that catch.

Edited by Nelius
  • Like (+1) 2

I don't personally see any reason to keep Ray Ray. There's not really even a Ray Ray/McKenzie competition in my mind. Everything Ray Ray does, McKenzie does better. I'm not a Williams guy myself, but wouldn't have a problem if they found a way to keep him and see what happens. The one thing they could do to make me angry is to keep Ray Ray and dump McKenzie.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Bills 53-man roster projection, mid-preseason      BILLSWIRE

Running back (4): LeSean McCoy, Frank Gore, Devin Singletary, Patrick DiMarco

Wide receiver (6): Cole Beasley, John Brown, Zay Jones, Robert Foster, Andre Roberts, Isaiah McKenzie

Tight end (4): Tyler Kroft, Lee Smith, Dawson Knox, Tommy Sweeney

Interior offensive line (5? Mitch Morse, Spencer Long, Jon Feliciano, Quinton Spain, Wyatt Teller

Outside offensive line (3): Dion Dawkins, Ty Nsekhe, Cody Ford

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/19/buffalo-bills-53-man-roster-projection-mid-preseason/

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

If you consider that the offense has specific roles then you might see it this way 

speed guys:

brown backed up by Foster.  Roberts probably factors in here too.  Might make Foster expendable for this spot.  

slot guys

cole and ?

McKenzie and RayRay probably are the only guys here

possession wr with versatility:

zay and ?

not sure Duke is fast enough, Roberts and Foster not good enough route tree, not sure McKenzie or Ray work here. 

Don't forget that Roberts will be taking up one of those WR spots.

53 minutes ago, ALF said:

Bills 53-man roster projection, mid-preseason      BILLSWIRE

Running back (4): LeSean McCoy, Frank Gore, Devin Singletary, Patrick DiMarco

Wide receiver (6): Cole Beasley, John Brown, Zay Jones, Robert Foster, Andre Roberts, Isaiah McKenzie

Tight end (4): Tyler Kroft, Lee Smith, Dawson Knox, Tommy Sweeney

Interior offensive line (5? Mitch Morse, Spencer Long, Jon Feliciano, Quinton Spain, Wyatt Teller

Outside offensive line (3): Dion Dawkins, Ty Nsekhe, Cody Ford

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/19/buffalo-bills-53-man-roster-projection-mid-preseason/

That is exactly how I would call it (Morse and Kroft health allowing). 

15 hours ago, purple haze said:

Yep, and who is in the starting lineup with them? Hmmm?  Like I said, decent.   And I never said they couldn't do better.   But the narrative that Jones does nothing right, ever, is asinine.

I don’t think the narrative “does nothing right” is accurate as opposed to inconsistency. I really can’t say I’d lose any sleep if Jones is dealt, at least at this point. The 3rd preseason game will tell the tale on that

7 hours ago, Nelius said:

I think it makes far more sense than throwing a 2nd round pick to the curb, especially one that that this entire regime from Pegula on down has backed numerous times. Zay is going to get three years to prove himself. 

If Zay makes it it won't be for these reasons.  It's all about competition and the future.  Where he was drafted or what Kim Pegula may have thought about him won't matter.  No one "gets" anything.  They have to earn it.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I don't personally see any reason to keep Ray Ray. There's not really even a Ray Ray/McKenzie competition in my mind. Everything Ray Ray does, McKenzie does better. I'm not a Williams guy myself, but wouldn't have a problem if they found a way to keep him and see what happens. The one thing they could do to make me angry is to keep Ray Ray and dump McKenzie.

I hope McKenzie stays. It has been a very spirited effort by Mcloud, but we do we expect. There is probably a small core here that will remain in 2020...the rest are on borrowed time.  Providing Josh Allen with the best weapons to succeed is what this is all about. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/18/2019 at 11:23 AM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Yeldon is toast.

I sure hope they keep Wade on the 53. I think there is a reasonably good chance (50/50) Gore is cut or McCoy is traded or possibly cut. 

Where exactly has John Brown been? I believe he has two targets and 1 catch in two pre-season games with a goose egg in the last game. I'm sure his spot is safe, but he has seen very little action. I didn't think it was possible at first but I just don't see the value in keeping Zay Jones. He's being consistently outplayed or at least matched by guys drafted much lower than him. If he were not a high draft pick it wouldn't even be a debate about whether he would be cut or not. Maybe they try work a trade for him as it is likely another team could see value in him still and think they can get more out of him. Maybe Washington or the New York Giants? Send Washington Zay and a 2nd rounder for Trent Williams?

Its preseason.  I expect them to continue to utilize the vertical passing attack that was implemented last year. 

Brown and Foster will be huge peices of the offense.  To me Daboll is just running basic concepts that NE has used for years.  Working Beasley and the backs underneath to work Allen's consistency on those routes. 

I still think Zay will be a part of the offense.  You cant read too much into preseason.  They want to see imo if Roberts can be a legitimate Wr in rotation.  Those reps come from someone.  They are seeing if he can be the 5th Wr if not I expect them to keep 6 wrs.

For the running backs, the last 2 games will be crucial.  Yeldon has looked pretty good barring that fumble.  Beane likes Gore way too much to bring him in just to cut him. 

I dont expect anyone trading for Shady worth anything.  An expensive 30 yr old RB coming off the worst year of his career is bringing anything more than a late rd conditional pick.  

The wild card is still Wade.  He made the 2 best plays of the Bill's preseason thus far.  The whole mantra McDermott spouts that spots are earned in games, no one has made the most of their opportunities then Wade.  I think Wade earned the reps after Singletary.  Give him a larger role in preseason game 3.  See what he does vs better competition.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

I don’t think the narrative “does nothing right” is accurate as opposed to inconsistency. I really can’t say I’d lose any sleep if Jones is dealt, at least at this point. The 3rd preseason game will tell the tale on that

Inconsistent is true, but not the narrative.  Read some of these posts over the past several months.  And if Jones is as bad as those people say why would anyone trade for him?  And If he's got enough value to trade him, why not keep him? 

1 hour ago, purple haze said:

Inconsistent is true, but not the narrative.  Read some of these posts over the past several months.  And if Jones is as bad as those people say why would anyone trade for him?  And If he's got enough value to trade him, why not keep him? 

For me, it’d be hard to pass on McKenzie, I think he brings quite a bit to the table. With Jones, this is his 3rd year. While I can’t say what others have said to a certain extreme, I can say that I haven’t really seen enough to believe he’s made the kind of progress we all hoped he would.

I realize I may get flamed for saying this, but that drop against the Colts didn’t set well with me, primarily because he does carry a history of drops. That’s the only form of consistency he has up to this point. And when trying to bring along a franchise QB, that’s one thing that’s gonna kill a WR. I’m pretty sure it didn’t set well with McDermott either

Edited by buffalo2218

Zay has had a good camp. He drops one ball and gets his head taken off and all of a sudden he is trash again. Duke Williams catches a couple of balls against a bunch of scrubs and he should be our new #1. People are funny. ? Zay will be on this roster. If Duke is too, it will be at Ray Ray/Mckensie's expense. 

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

If Zay makes it it won't be for these reasons.  It's all about competition and the future.  Where he was drafted or what Kim Pegula may have thought about him won't matter.  No one "gets" anything.  They have to earn it.  

I think it's fair to assume that a 2nd round pick that this regime made may have a slightly longer leash than an UDFA, but whatever, I agree, and the exact same goes for Foster. My response was to somebody who said Foster was a "lock", so we may be going in circles a bit. Doesn't an UDFA that played himself out of the league early last season have to earn his role as well? Seems most are giving him a free pass now

Edited by Nelius

4 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

That is how it should work in a perfect world but I dont think most teams do that in reality.  I am confident the Pats operate that way.   Most teams though marry themselves to their high draft picks and will keep them even when the performance does not dictate that.

Imo they are playing and designing plays for players on the bubble.  Wr is coming down to these couple of questions.   

1.  Can Roberts contribute as a regular wr?

If yes, then it's a real possibility Buffalo keeps 5 wrs opening day.  Brown, Beasley, Jones, Foster, and Roberts.  Than it's on one of the other players to make some plays to warrant the spot.  Right now I think they are fine keeping 5.

2.  Do you want to keep a back up return man on the roster at all times?

If you do, McKenzie is the next best punt returner behind Roberts.  This is not a necessity.  Hyde can field punts, and Singeltary could return kicks.  

3.  Has any wr outside the top 5 earned a roster spot?

I think McKenzie and Williams have both helped themselves the most thus far.  Williams brings a different dimension to the team.  McKenzie fits in to what they already do and can spell multiple positions on offense.  I dont think either has stamped their place on the 53 man roster.  

7 hours ago, Nelius said:

I think it's fair to assume that a 2nd round pick that this regime made may have a slightly longer leash than an UDFA, but whatever, I agree, and the exact same goes for Foster. My response was to somebody who said Foster was a "lock", so we may be going in circles a bit. Doesn't an UDFA that played himself out of the league early last season have to earn his role as well? Seems most are giving him a free pass now

I think there are very few guys who DON'T have to earn their spots.  As I've said, I think Beasley and Brown are locks on talent, Roberts as a kick returner.  No one else is a lock.  I think Foster, Duke and Zay may be tradeable.   I think its wide open.  I think it does NOT come down to who is the best.  I think it also depends on special teams play and potential.  I think Zay's problem is he played for two years and didn't stand out.  His potential may be limited. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think there are very few guys who DON'T have to earn their spots.  As I've said, I think Beasley and Brown are locks on talent, Roberts as a kick returner.  No one else is a lock.  I think Foster, Duke and Zay may be tradeable.   I think its wide open.  I think it does NOT come down to who is the best.  I think it also depends on special teams play and potential.  I think Zay's problem is he played for two years and didn't stand out.  His potential may be limited. 

Duke has no trade value.