Receiver competition with two games left

Shaw66

18 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I could easily see the Bills keeping seven receivers on the initial 53 man roster this season. It has become the deepest unit on the team.

Teams usually only want to dress 5.  I could see the possibility of 7 if Roberts didn't look usable but so far he seems OK as a WR.

Then again what McD and Beane are thinking is a mystery to me right now.

Here is what I’d like at receiver:

Brown

Beasley

Roberts

Foster

The Duke

McCloud or McKenzie (shifting toward McKenzie he seems more durable/ I remember Ray Ray being injured more than McKenzie)

bye bye Zay, it sounds like he worked out a lot in the off season but I just have seen way more negatives in his play than the others have shown.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

I think you overestimate the value of the WR's.

Think about it for a minute: how many sure-fire WR's do we have on our roster?

You want to trade them away?

Maybe I do overestimate them. But suppose you're a Gm and your team is only four deep at receiver.  Suppose you liked Zay in the draft.  Suppose Zay could be your number 2 or your slot guy.   There are people on this board who were saying a month ago that Zay was a lock as the number 2, so why wouldn't some GM want him as a number 2 or 3?  

If you're that gm, would you give a fifth or 6th for him?  I don't thin that's far-fetched.  

It looks like the Bills have a lot of receiver talent. Why not trade one?  Why not trade Yeldon?  Some team that is weak at rb might want him.  

If you're a gm you can wait for cuts, but then you have to compete with other teams.  

We will see, but you know Beane likes to deal.  I'm expecting the Bills to trade someone. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

How many teams trade for another teams fifth best receiver.  Real question. Not just trying to argue.  It seems more theoretical than real. 

Most teams 5/6 through about 8 are pretty interchangeable. That’s like 100 dudes to fill 50 spots and 50 available for free mid season with limited drop off. 

It makes for one of the easiest august roster battles for fans to get into annually but also often one of the most meaningless as if you cut a guy that gets signed there tend to be plenty of interchangeable pieces 

• Like (+1) 1

It seems like us as fans often get the WR competition wrong.  We focus on preseason performance, but I feel like preseason stats are not a good predictor.  Last year, didn't we think that Brandon Reilly was a shoo-in based on his preseason performance?  They did not even want him on the practice squad.  How many predicted Robert Foster would make it when he rarely made the stat sheet in any pre-season game and was repeatedly dropping passes in training camp?  Certainly the coaches were right to see something in him based on his performance to end the season.    

Edited by Arkady Renko

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I could easily see the Bills keeping seven receivers on the initial 53 man roster this season. It has become the deepest unit on the team.

Well, we have Brown who is potentially a legit #1, and we have Beasley who is definitely a legit slot receiver. Then we have Roberts who is a legit kick/punt returner. After that we are deep in average WRs. What good does that really do us to keep so many?

I keep reading about how deep we are at RB. But, in all honesty, Shady is a legitimate concern coming off his worst season, and showing less speed, and agility. Gore is 36, and Singletary is a rookie. I would be surprised if we didn't keep four RBs. And, we'll have a minimum of three TEs. Four would not surprise me there, either. Either way, seven WRs seems highly unlikely to me.

2 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Nah, nobody is crazy for wanting a WR that catches the ball pretty regularly over one that doesn't.

Second bolded, yes I agree they need good WR's, but Zay just isn't one. As of yet anyways...

Who are you saying that catches the ball regularly?  Duke?  All of 3 passes you've seen him catch over two pre-season games?  And before that game

all the beat writers didn't even mention him in the competition for the last receiver spot?  Come on now.  Zay ain't great, but he's decent.  Folks on

here acting like the dude hasn't done anything.  Not true.

I think 6 WR's will be kept on the team.

John Brown

Cole Beasley

Zay Jones

Robert Foster

Andre Roberts

Isaiah McKenzie or Duke Williams.

Brown & Beasley are locks, not to mention veterans. They will be valuable to the Bills.

I do not see the Bills giving up on Jones & Foster. Jones is frustrating with the drops, but I think McDermott has confidence in him. Foster is only in his second year, and he still has potential to grow.

Roberts is a returner, but the Bills have been using him as a receiver too. Unlike Brandon Tate, it looks as if he will be used more than just as an emergency receiver.

That leaves McKenzie & Williams. McKenzie has shown that he can be reliable. Williams is a big target, and that touchdown grab against the Panthers was a beauty.

3 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

My reason for wanting Duke isn't because of his height. It is that he is physical, goes up and gets the ball, and seems to have very good hands. 

Zay underwhelms in all those departments. 

You have seen Duke, in the NFL-against NFL competition,  make one catch like that.  That's the reason they should keep him over Zay?  Where was all the

reports of him doing that consistently in practice during camp?  I recall report saying he wasn't standing out at all.  

I'm not saying they can't do better than Zay.  I'm saying folks see Duke make one catch and all of a sudden he should be kept.  No.  Do better than Zay,

by drafting better or making a trade for a better WR.

1 hour ago, purple haze said:

Who are you saying that catches the ball regularly?  Duke?  All of 3 passes you've seen him catch over two pre-season games?  And before that game

all the beat writers didn't even mention him in the competition for the last receiver spot?  Come on now.  Zay ain't great, but he's decent.  Folks on

Yes, Duke has caught everything thrown to him for the most part, alllllll the way in those CFL days. In any event, yeah disagree, to me I think he will bring more to the table than Zay, hands down (no pun intended).

CFLor NFL, catching the ball is catching the ball and at least IMO he does it a lot better than Zay

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

13 hours ago, mrags said:

He had a vet day off. He’s been more than fine with Allen all summer. 

If we keep Dimarco over Wade, Gore, McClpud, McKenzie, Williams, Yarborough, and a half a dozen others... I will vomit 

Keeping Dimarco who serves zero purpose on this team is just insanity. Cutting Wade or one of the te's over DiMarco is foolish. 

6 hours ago, tomur67 said:

If the game is on the line,  with seconds to go, do you want Allen passing to Zay Jones?  If you're OK with  it, I guess he should be on the roster.

Only if he's open.  I'm fine with Jones. 

I still think the 6th spot is up in the air between McKenzie, Ray Ray, and the Duke.  Maybe have Barkley play the whole 2nd half in Detroit to give these WR's a chance to make their case.

18 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Taking 6. And after week two this is what I am thinking

Brown

Jones

Foster

Beasley

Roberts 

so comes down to size or shiftiness 

Williams - Size

McCloud - Shiftiness 

Also could very well keep and Extra WR to start season depending on Kroft

Kroft - PUP

Knox

Sweeney

so do you cut Lee Smith for an extra WR spot? 

You are ignoring McKenzie who has had a fantastic camp and pre-season and he is the backup to Beasley not McCloud (at the moment).

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Keeping Dimarco who serves zero purpose on this team is just insanity. Cutting Wade or one of the te's over DiMarco is foolish. 

Ask the coaches..i think they will tell you differently.  Di Marco is not getting cut

8 hours ago, purple haze said:

Come on now.  Zay ain't great, but he's decent.  Folks on

Decent ?    He drops balls that are routinely caught by 10 year olds in the neighborhood playing 5 on 5 football 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, SCBills said:

Duke was coveted by a lot of teams before he came here.  I doubt he makes the PS, given he was dunking on people in the Panthers game.  

I think we have to keep him.  Even if it’s just a fade guy in the end zone, he has attributes our other WRs don’t have.  

Coveted by NFL teams? Do you have links? I don't think I remember reading that at all....

20 hours ago, DJB said:

Personally I have McKenzie ahead of both Duke and Ray Ray. Of the 3 Ray appears 3rd in line for me after Duke and McKenzie.  

My guess is we keep 6 WR

Brown 

Beasley

Zay

Foster

Roberts 

McKenzie 

This is probably accurate.  We need a WR to fill in for Beasley if/when necessary.

10 hours ago, tomur67 said:

If the game is on the line,  with seconds to go, do you want Allen passing to Zay Jones?  If you're OK with  it, I guess he should be on the roster.

Yes actually I am.

15 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Coveted by NFL teams? Do you have links? I don't think I remember reading that at all....

There were several teams interested in his services.

27 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

At the time he signed with Buffalo there were reports that several teams wanted him. Why?  Because for the last couple of years he caughtt virtually every ball that came his way.  Like the touchdown the other night.  That's what he does.